Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVDs and dvd players

Options
  • 19-01-2004 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or are DVDs not as reliable as people make them out to be. I've noticed that nearly every DVD I get has had different results playing in different DVD players. Okay I know you'd expect poorer quality from cheap dvd players, but still the DVD should play smoothly. Have been getting cases where DVDs wouldn't play at all or else they skip at various points throughout the film. Sometimes one dvd player will play dvds that the other won't play and sometimes vica versa. It's getting me really frustrated, has anyone else had problems like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You will get a slight pause on some players as it switches from one layer to the other. I notice that the packaging on some DVD's state this (the software not the player).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not talking about the slight pause when switching layers. Actually skipping, as in you could be watching the dvd and suddenly the drive starts struggling to read stuff and the picture is all garbled. Happens on new dvds and on various dvd players (not necessarily the same dvd player each time).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I have nearly 300 dvds, of these I have problems with 2.
    Hard Boiled (R0) plays up to about half way on one player and then starts to skip chapters but plays fine on 3 other players.
    Anaconda (R2) wont play on my PC but play on the other 3 players.
    I have no idea why this is. But 2/300 is nothing, I dunno how you could possibly be suffering so badly with so many dvds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Philips DVD players are more sensitive to disk geometry that other DVD players.
    If the centre hole is off by even a tenth of a milimeter on the DVD, It starts rattling
    and struggles to find the starting block on the DVD.
    Put the same DVD into a PC DVD player and theres no problems.
    I recently replaced my Philips DVD player with a Grundig DVD RW+ recorder, (€349 in Currys;) ) and now all of my DVD's now play from start to finish without skipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

"Grundig DVD RW+ recorder, (€349 in Currys)"

Thats a good price. Is it a good unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

As a player and recorder it is second to none. It records Sky Digital perfectly, and the random access nature of the data stored on disk is very convenient.
    It has Dolby 5.1 digital out.

Advertisement