Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker In The Movies

Options
  • 19-01-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

we see poker from time to time in the movies, occasionally featuring one full hand down to the showdown.

the best poker scene i can recall would probably be in "the cincinnati kid" with steve mcqueen (the kid) up against edward g robinson (lancey) in 5 card stud. lancey completes a straight flush, queen high on the last card to beat the kid's full house, cleaning out the kid with an i.o.u. to boot. highly improbable, but a great scene nonetheless.

can vaguely recall a good scene in "the sting" also, with paul newman pretending to be drunk playing poker on a train, and swapping a card to win a big pot (he's a conman)

any other classic poker scene's in movies ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Just watch Rounders, without doubt the best poker film around.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128442/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Rounders is a good film but I have high hopes for Stuey - http://www.stueymovie.com/ - a film that has been made a while but as usual it seems to be having difficulty getting a distribution. Download the trailer though and you'll see why I can't wait to see it.
    It stars Michael Imperioli as Stu Ungar, the tragic player who won the World Series three times but in true rock and roll style didn't hang around for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

That looks really good let us know when it comes out.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Rounders is a good flick, I prefer the less-poker-focused but slick as all hell Oceans Eleven. Theres one memorable poker scene where the n00bs (who are all either star actors or professional players in their own right) are being cleaned out by the leading men. it comes to a showdown and one guy proudly lays his hand down with a smug grin saying "all.... *red*"!

DeV.

Advertisement