Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs you love to hate on Phantom

Options
  • 19-01-2004 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Sad to see Phantom slip off the FM Airwaves again. At least I can listen online but you can't beat live radio.

Apologies to those who dismiss this as negative whinging, but however much you love Phantom, the diversity of the music it plays means there'll almost inevitably be songs played you find really irritating. So, just for a bit of fun and not having a dig at anybody working on the station, what songs have you running to put the kettle on?

For me, it has to be that Hot Topic by LeTigre. You know the one, it's on 'The Phantom' a lot, 'hot topic is the way that we rhyme' repeated ad nauseum, with about two different notes in the whole shaggin song.

Worst is the lyric, which appears to be some misguided attempt to highlight the immense contribution their heroes (mostly women) have made to music, entertainment and life in general. An attempt fatally undermined by the fact that nobody but themselves (and those named) have ever heard of half the people they're paying homage to.

Sorry but its Monday and I'm just back off a week's holidays and that came on the Phantom and arrrggghhh! I can't STAND that bloody song!

"Bridget Irish, Juliana Lueking, Cecelia Dougherty, Ariel Skrag".

Sorry, WHO???? Maybe I'm a complete ignoramus and these peoples are household names in New York or wherever they're from, but the bloke who delivers our milk is as famous over here ladies. I'm thinking of releasing a similar version of Irish 'stars' they've never heard of to let them know how it feels. "Bibi Baskin and Derek Davis, Twink and Bosco and yer one out of Six..."

So what are your pet hates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

The Frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

It's got to be Blister in the Sun. I loved it for years, but lately... swichoffable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

That awful 3 or 4 minute drone by Jeffrey Lewis - Back when I was 4
    The most rubbish "song" I've ever heard on Phantom...EVER!
    Certain Frames songs also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    The Frames.
    I second that.

Luce :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

*ahem* the frames are the best band in the world *ahem*
    & i kinda like that song back when i was 4... gets really fukkin annoying after awhile though..
    that song.. oh i can't remember what it's called, lucky the bee? my God, i really liked it when i first heard it but AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH it goes through my head!! so overplayed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

....... and there go the good vibes! :rolleyes:

that jeff lewis song is the prettiest thing .. !

my pet hate is GIGSMART BANDS :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MoStCool

Outkasts "Hey ya"

I hate it and just assumed that all normal people would. Couldn't believe it when i heard it on Phantom. It's one thing putting up with Ray "everyting Irish is great" D'Arcy playing it but I can't believe that people who's music styles I normally like ( not just phantom dj's but friends as well) like it.

It wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Originally posted by dera
    ....... and there go the good vibes! :rolleyes:

that jeff lewis song is the prettiest thing .. !

my pet hate is GIGSMART BANDS :p

How very "Let's make a sweepting generalisation that takes in oohhhh about 200 bands" of you dera. Despite the fact that there is no such thing as a "GigSmart band"

Back to the drawing board young lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

The Frames.

I third that [but not the early stuff].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

Originally posted by Richie Despite the fact that there is no such thing as a "GigSmart band"

Back to the drawing board young lad.

Oh there's a unifying theme or two alright :)

Anyway, 'twas intended as a mildly sarcastic response to Sandi. But don't bother reading the thread, dude.

Back to the drawing board, young otranome :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Lol, I was expecting to get shot down for the Frames suggestion. Congratulations, some of you have musical taste! :D They're allright live, as much as I hate to admit it, but by Jesus I HATE hearing them on cd!

the Frames...They're allright live, as much as I hate to admit it, but by Jesus I HATE hearing them on cd!
    I HATE them full stop :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Originally posted by luce
    I HATE them full stop :mad:

I thought you liked "God Bless Mom". ;)

I like that and "Blood" and "Revelation". Wouldn't call myself much of a fan though.

That "Back when I was 4" song really p's me off.
    I'm sure there's more.....
    xm

wow
    paint me purple and call me amazed...
    as of just now i'd never heard a bad word against that outkast song. it's just seemed to be the most unifying song, everyone likes it, &it's not the kinda token song that everyone likes for a while (like iris by the googoodolls) that's really quite good but ends up being so terrible because it's overplayed& it's everybody's 'our song' sorta thing.
    but fair enough, you don't like it, that's your thing..
    but it makes me so incredibly happy.. :)

Originally posted by memaeve
    I thought you liked "God Bless Mom". ;)
    Nope. Not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Originally posted by dera
    Oh there's a unifying theme or two alright :)

Anyway, 'twas intended as a mildly sarcastic response to Sandi. But don't bother reading the thread, dude.

Back to the drawing board, young otranome :p

Apologies - the batteries in my sarcasm monitor had run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

hate ouycast.
    don't mind the frames.
    don't mind "when i was 4".
    i also hate the distillers... my god they make me want to kill again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Incubus are you in (and everthing else by them)
    Pink Floyd wish you were here
    The Darkness (anything by them)
    The Thrills (espesally that dont steal our sun song)
    Metalica (nothing else matters)
    The Police (all ov there stuff)
    Fun loving criminals (all of there stuff)
    Blink 182 (everything)
    Chicks on Speed (we dont play guitars)
    I better stop myself otherwise it could be an extremly long post

and that hot topic song does suck there are hundreds more songs and bands I dont like on phantom. but I like a higher percentage of songs on phantom than i like on any other satation

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    The Thrills
    Hell yeah! WHERE'S THAT AK47 WHEN I NEED IT??!

Oh the evils of the darkness!!! i'm so sick of them. i've stopped whatching music channels because of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Ah no, I have to say I'm a sucker for The Darkness. But it's depressing that there are so many male vocalists out there who can hit notes that I wouldn't even dream of attempting to reach!
    The Thrills would be on my list......if they insist on writing about happy, sunny places in the U.S. they can fe**in' take their music and leave it over there in my opinion.
    xm

yeah, the thrills.. they're so damn happy... (mind you, i like santa cruz, but purely because it reminds me of a better time) but oh God, if they were dead( in a 'i don't actually want them dead, just castrated &put into a horrifyingly cramped soundproofed box..' kinda way), what the world would be...
    the darkness are... well, that man can look sexy in spandex, i can't say anything against them. they're bringing hair rock back to the fore..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Hate The Thrills. Singer is weak, songs are samey samey and don't relate to me in any way. I suppose in many ways they are just a boyband. Oh and they had some sort of ridiculous limited edition version of their album for Christmas. Can't wait for the 'difficult second album'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Jolene

i think my signature should clearly define any stances I may/maynot have

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Okay, i'm all for The Thrills to crash and burn. the stuff they write is barely music, its all repetitious, with clangy annoying guitars, and an overall beach boy wannebe sound. They have just been marketed well. We had a had decent summer by our standards and they realised people buy this "happy" music, and some stupid magazine writing type decides to brand them and a collection of the same droneing songs, the best thing since sliced bread.

ahhh, I grrr in their general direction.

I sorta like that jeff lewis song, its got a cuteness about it.

Fair play to your man Justin Hawkins from the Darkness though, great entertainer, the whole hair rock thing going on, but they are way overplayed.

ahh i'm feeling a bit angered now thinking about weak music. stupid thread!

Plus has anyone ever heard any Sonic Youth played on Phantom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fitzcarraldo

I hate that song with Johnny Rotten in it saying "Anger is an Energy!"

On at least once a day and by god it gets to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

That awful 3 or 4 minute drone by Jeffrey Lewis - Back when I was 4

You leave jeffrey lewis alone the man's a genius ........................GENIUS

i hate that leather tassels song by that band everybody seems to like and likin park i hate them too

Originally posted by Howard the Duck

i hate that leather tassels song by that band everybody seems to like

i hope your not taking about blotooth.. that would be just wrong.. sick and wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I agree with Howie here, kind of. I didn't like Leather Tassles at all. But as nearly everyone seems to, I think Phantom should continue to play it.
    And I hated Back When I Was...... , but if some people liked it, let it play.
    In that respect, while I'm not as much of a Frames fan as I used to be (from seeing them live too many times), they are very popular with Phantom listeners in general, so there you go.
    On the other hand, I have never met even one Phantom listener who liked the Donnas. That forty boys in forty nights song was so, so horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Jolene

sorry, just to clarify further, I hate Mic Christopher.

like really.

God I hate him

Advertisement