Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lucky me eh?

Options
  • 19-01-2004 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

my tax was up at the end of last year and i only got it renewed this morning.an hr later i was stopped but the cops looking for tax.how lucky was i.it was actually worth getting off my lazy ass.i had left it 2 weeks to get it done cause ive not used my bike much cause of the sh!t weather and cause im busy with exams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Buy yourself a lotto ticket :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if your tax was up at the end of last year (2003) then you have 1 month within which to renew your tax so the guards couldn't have done anything to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by kbannon
    if your tax was up at the end of last year (2003) then you have 1 month within which to renew your tax so the guards couldn't have done anything to you!

How sure are you about this? I'm not sure I'd like to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Was stopped coming home from Limerick last year and the tax in the van was up about 2 weeks, the Garda just said to make sure to get it sorted before it was up a month, so I guess ya do have a month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by draffodx
    , so I guess ya do have a month

officially or unofficially?
    although you get periods of grace, legally, with insurance as well don't u?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

officially.. it says so on the renewal form

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dont think ya have a period of grace with insurance though, to get the disk you do but you have to carry a letter from your insurance company stating that you are insured

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by draffodx
    dont think ya have a period of grace with insurance though, to get the disk you do but you have to carry a letter from your insurance company stating that you are insured
    Mary Harney or someone similar changed things. It used to be that insurance companies gave grace on home insurance, health insurance etc etc, but not on car insurance. Now they're legally required to continue to insure you for a few days (I think it's ten) after your policy has expired in order to allow you to shop around.

Afaik. Please ask your insurance company first, instead of telling the Garda who enquires about your expired disc that "Sum guy on teh intorweb told me it was ok". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by seamus
    "Sum guy on teh intorweb told me it was ok"

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Incorrect.

A Garda may "let you away with it" but officially there is no "1 months grace" because a tax renewal notice is posted to your address 2 to 4 weeks before it's due to expire giving plenty of time to deal with it.

The exception to this is in the case of a newly purchased car where documents must be sent to the new owner before he/she may tax it.

I was in court a couple of years ago because my tax was 2 weeks out of date. The reason for the court appearance is a long story I don't wish to enter into here, suffice to say the Garda quoted the law regarding tax to me.

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

The Garda can't impound your vehicle for no tax until 6 months have expired. I know this from *ahem* experience. A traffic Garda tried to take my van off me, but the tax was only gone 5 1/2 months (I was out of the country, long story). Man was he pissed he couldnt take it.

All he did was give me a ticket for no tax, and check this, he gave me another ticket for being parked on a pavement, even though he told me to pull up on it...lol

He was pissed off!!

Hi Robbie1876 . . . insomnia . . a terrible affliction eh !!!!

:o

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

yeah i didnt think there was any official grace time on it...i think he had the right to write me a ticket for not carrying the tax with me..cant put it on the bike cause limerick pricks keep taking it off bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

Lol same thing happened me last October with my insurance renewal. Literally the moment I put it up I drove out to a Garda checkpoint.

They have checkpoints all over the place now... and since that programme on RTE they all try to look so solemn when they pull you up. I wish they'd lighten up!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    Mary Harney or someone similar changed things. It used to be that insurance companies gave grace on home insurance, health insurance etc etc, but not on car insurance. Now they're legally required to continue to insure you for a few days (I think it's ten) after your policy has expired in order to allow you to shop around.
    I suspect this is they need to inform you 10 days before the end of the policy so you can shop around, not give you 10 free days of insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Yet another urban myth. It is illegal to have any vehicle that is liable for road tax on the road without current tax. There is no "period of grace".
    The Garda can't impound your vehicle for no tax until 6 months have expired.

If the tax is more than three months expired they can seize the vehicle.

( c ) a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that any excise duty
    payable under section 1 of the Finance (Excise Duties) (Vehicles) Act, 1952,
    in respect of the vehicle, being a vehicle which is or which the member
    reasonably believes to be registered in the State, has not been paid in
    respect of a continuous period of 3 months or more immediately prior to such
    use.

Its Here

Wow - I am stunned then that he didn't take the van off me that day. And it wasn't cos I was talking my way out of it. This was one of the traffic boys, and he was in bad form. He said specifically that he couldn't take it because it was not at 6 months. Maybe they have updated that rule?

Anyway, it's not like I'll be risking it in the future again! I learned my lesson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Originally posted by Bosh
    use.

Great, so now a Guard's member has opinions and can sieze your car. I always knew they were pr1cks.:D

Great, so now a Guard's member has opinions and can sieze your car. I always knew they were pr1cks.
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Bosh

use.

Its Here

Mine is out of date since Oct 1st (i posted about it here back then), and i have still not received the tax disc due to those gobs1tes at the tax office.
    Initially i had forgotten to renew it, then got a reminder in middle november and tried to pay it twice so far.
    My application was sent back twice saying that its in arrears for each month where they keep changing the date of the disc a month forward.
    They can't fathom to deduct the money from my credit card, this time i wrote in big writing to deduct the correct amount, including arrears.
    It took them to process the last application(the 2nd one) from Dec 14th to Jan 20th, that slow !
    How long does it take a civil servant to do a bit of work ?...would they get it third time right this time ? :)
    Wouldnt surprise me if they send it back again saying january is in arrears, utter gobs1tes.

• Advertisement

Serves you right for forgeting to renew it when it was due IMO.

You would have recieved a renewal notice in September, did you forget about that too ?

Stop blaming the tax office for your mistake. AFAIK its an offence to take more than the agreed amount without prior permission from someones account.

Tinky

Advertisement