Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n00b question

Options
  • 19-01-2004 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just starting to play poker with a few pals - in a typical night's play, we'll each put €5 in the pot, then distribute chips, and then play simple 5card draw until there's a winner - second place gets their €5 back, and the winner takes the rest. Now we're all pretty terrible players, but all learning and figuring it out for ourselves as we go along. Its a lot of fun, but I've a few questions as to how to make it go more smoothly...
    A problem we come up against every time we play is that with 3 or 4 players left, it can start to look like the game is going to go on all night. The chip leader will then recommend raising the ante, but of course, others aren't quite as keen - this leads to great frustration and tension.
    Obviously, we should decide in advance exactly when the ante will be raised, and how much each time.
    Can anyone recommend some guidelines for how to work out when&how much?
    Any preaching about the merits of different games/variants/tactics for beginner players is also welcome.
    Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by yaledo
    The chip leader will then recommend raising the ante, but of course, others aren't quite as keen - this leads to great frustration and tension.
    Obviously, we should decide in advance exactly when the ante will be raised, and how much each time.
    Can anyone recommend some guidelines for how to work out when&how much?
    Decide in advance how long you want the game to go on for.
    Then divide this time into sections, and for each section raise the ante/blind.
    This should lead to more pressure on the small stacks and people will be eliminated or forced to buy in quicker. Have it all decided before the game so people won't moan :)

Have a look at musician's links at the top of the forum for lots of interesting links and information.
    And have a look at the rules for Texas Hold'em a different variant of poker. Its different to 5 card draw, easy to understand but very tricky to be good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Thanks LaFortezza, more specifically -
    What percentage of the total chips in play should be the ante at the beginning, and what percentage should be the ante at the end
    How much to raise the ante by each time, and should it increment linearly or exponentially (ie should it be an extra 20c every half hour, or should it double every half hour)
    Also, should every player have to lay the ante every time, or just the dealer on a rotating basis throw in 7x as much?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The problem with 5 card draw is that it is boring. Only skilled players can actually derive pleasure from playing - this is why Texas Hold'em is far more popular.

If you are playing 5 card draw then you need to work out the best method of playing that will not only be enjoyable but have some type of end in sight. I suggest that the ante should be paid by everyone before the cards are dealt - try 2 of the lowest chips to start off. Then is there is an opener - they must open for at least half the pot - this will get the chips flowing.

To up tyhe ante you really need to decide 'when' in advance. You can do this by having different time periods - i.e. every 1/2 hour raise the ante or by a certain amount of hands - i.e. when every one has dealt 5 times. Really you can determine your own method as long as everyone agrees.

I would recommend a couple of games of Texas and I guarentee you wont go back

Hyzepher

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Some assumptions have to be made here. I would assume from my time many moons ago of playing draw poker that you all do put antes in. Thats the way we played it. Or are ye playing small blind/big blind?
    Theres no hard or fast rule about when to increases antes etc. It's up to yourselves to experiment and find out what structure ends the game at the right time. Start as Hyzepher says with the lowest chip as an ante and double it every hour, decreasing or increasing this time period if the game ends to quickly or lasts too long.
    And to echo what most have already said give Texas Hold'em a try and don't look back.

Advertisement