Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ellison 9 mini-album fundraiser

Options
  • 19-01-2004 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Ellison 9 (formerly Derrick Devine and the Good Ship)
    plus Support (tbc)
    the Sugar Club, Fri. 6th of February
    doors 8:30
    adm:8 euro
    no guestlist

Formerly singer-songwriter Derrick Devine and his band, Ellison 9 are an
    8-piece rock band based in Dublin.

Fronted by Devine on lead vocals with Sorcha Brennan on harmony vocals,
    their sound
    has been compared to the likes of Calexico, Deus, Sparklehorse and Nick
    Cave. Dark,
    intelligent lyrics are backed up by drums, bass, keyboards, off-kilter
    guitar lines,
    distorted violin and the occasional perfectly weighted blast from an
    orchestral
    trumpet.

The band are currently recording a mini-album which is set for independent release in
    April 2004 and promises to rock and tip-toe in equal measures.

''a force to be reckoned with in the future''iris magazine

for more info go to http://www.ellison9.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

no guestlist? Well lah-dee dah...:)

G'luck you.

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭der

cheers
    f

knew i'd get slagged off for that though.!

away with ye bludgers n curmudgeons.

(besides we're a good cause. honest.);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Consider me there.
    I hope. :)
    Well done on yer cameo last night by the way. ;)
    xm

thought it was the best 66e gig i've seen so far.v impressive. anyone else agree?

i of course managed to **** up my two chord trick at the end (sorry lads!)

damn bloated-elephant-balloon fingers

cant tyep prprrllyee wiiiith theeemeemm eeitheer

Originally posted by der
    damn bloated-elephant-balloon fingers
    B]
    lol:D

Didn't notice any **** ups to be honest!
    Yea, I agree it was probably the best one yet. Like I said, they just get better every time!
    Can't wait for the Instore!
    xm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

The 'no guestlist' is a brave move and i respect 'The double D' all the more for it.

Now lets rub metaphorical musical willies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
    Now lets rub metaphorical musical willies.

Man can't you do anything without bringing it down to a gay level:dunno:

Originally posted by bandit
    Man can't you do anything without bringing it down to a gay level:dunno:

Come to think of it.....:dunno:

xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

:D

I'm sorry, what was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 illyad

when you're in a band with Derrick having no guest list is a necessary move!!!! He does seem to know everyone in every pub and street in town, and sometimes he's over generous!

Plus you try being in a band with 8 people and trying to make money to release a cd!!

Anyway we're guarunteeing an excellent night of entertainment and fun!

Sorcha
    ellison9

x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Jolene

its a very good cause

and maybe now Davey could get some new glasses that arent held together by tape (I know theyre not really, in my head they are though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by illyad
    when you're in a band with Derrick having no guest list is a necessary move!!!! He does seem to know everyone in every pub and street in town, and sometimes he's over generous!

Having first hand experience of the Ellison 9 guestlist experience I have to say this is definitely true!

So der, we're all on the guestlist then yea?! :D

That is, of course, if I can't find anything better to do that night. ;)

i can now confirm that support for this gig comes from Random ( http//:www.rndm.com ), recently seen at the shuffle/alphastates night in tbmc.

now i have had a re-think about the guestlist and have decided to make this gig free for everyone and anyone except members of the band who must pay the 8 euro in.

this is a joke and not to be taken in any way seriously (can't work the new smiley set-up doh)

der

There ya go.
    Or
    :)
    Take your pick!
    xm

watch it Derrick. I think we'll have to tape your mouth shut!

Originally posted by der

now i have had a re-think about the guestlist and have decided to make this gig free for everyone and anyone except members of the band who must pay the 8 euro in.

That might actually make good economic sense.
    8 euro x 8 band members = 64 euro.

Have to say Random kicked ass last Thursday... in a gentle but firm way.

below : ridiculous but possible scenario following this 'make only the band pay the 8 euro in to this gig' approach.

''64 euro wayhey!!! most money made from from a gig ever! hooray hooray let's get locked eh i mean put it into the kitty for the next gig/record ''

oh wait hark yonder what's that i see

a posse of ungainly creatures foaming at the mouth - a venue owner, a poster/flyer designer, a printers, a sound engineer, a cd masterer, a booking agent, a pr person, various members of the advertising media - all demanding something called 'moolah' immediately.

possible ending to said ridiculous scenario:

1.-the band run for the hills with the 64 euros and don't come back for fear of being murdered by their powerful and influential debtors on arrival.
    2.-the band go to the pub and drink the 64 euro and it make themselves feel better - but only for a while.
    3.-the band agree to never do 'a only the band pay in' gig ever again and go onto be massive, respected, rich (and financially astute) rock n roll stars.
    4.-the band give the 64 euro to all the ungainly creatures, find themselves in serious debt and eventually split up after a poorly attended sligo gig goes horribly wrong.

hey kids - why not come along on the 6th and see how it really ends?
    (don't tell the others but i'm putting 64 euro on option 4.)- der

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Best post I've seen on this board so far :D:D:D

Luce :cool:

• Advertisement

hey kids - why not come along on the 6th and see how it really ends?
    (don't tell the others but i'm putting 64 euro on option 4.)- der

:D [/B]

My lips are sealed. ;)

See you then,
    xm

hoi! Be positive, of course people will flock to see us on Friday night and will think that €8 euro is a very reasonable amount to pay!

You get in exchange a great night: two exsmellent bands, cocktails, seats!!!!!and TABLES!!!! friendly staff and a night club afterwards.....................................................

Great value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Hey,

I'm now going to form a new band and call it..
    ....64 Euros..
    to be conveniently shortened to 64E!

Do you think thats a good name? It does sound vaguely familiar somehow, like one of those spooky memories from a former life or something.:dunno:

Hmmmm......it DOES sound slightly familiar.
    <Ponders>
    xm

originally posted by der

a posse of ungainly creatures foaming at the mouth - a venue owner, a poster/flyer designer, a printers, a sound engineer, a cd masterer, a booking agent, a pr person, various members of the advertising media - all demanding something called 'moolah' immediately.

As "printer" I shall forego my share of the "moolah" - seeing as I wasn't expecting any money anyway it won't be much of a shock. Maybe everyone else above could follow suit... hence no nightmare scenario could ensue.

You could also charge Random for the privalege of playing - 4 x 8 euro = 32 euro.

32 euro + 64 euro = 96 euro.

Jeez, I'll even throw in 4 euro myself.

100 euro = 10 minutes swanky studio time or..... 4 albums in Electric Audio with Steve Albini - it might sound **** but at least its lo-fi ;)

Think about it you know it makes sense.

Tell you what I'll let everyone into Shuffle for free on Thursday night as well. 'Tis all good.

So der, are you going to have live drums or are you going to insult musicians everywhere and replace it with rubbish Yamaha keyboards insulti-beats??

AFRAID SO damon you prick.

your band has proven to me that cheesy insulting (to the ears) keyboard sounds are the only way forward !

thanks for your poster help spoiltbrat.see you n everyone else on fri.

der

p.s. i fear this thread has got a bit in-jokey, overly- specific, cliquey, n boring to anyone not involved no?let's end it here now shall we?d

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
    So der, are you going to have live drums or are you going to insult musicians everywhere and replace it with rubbish Yamaha keyboards insulti-beats??

Sweet, Insulti-beats.... I'll have to remember that one.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by der

p.s. i fear this thread has got a bit in-jokey, overly- specific, cliquey, n boring to anyone not involved no?let's end it here now shall we?d

End it like a maniac on the dance floor ????

• Advertisement

ah no buh seriously cheers to everyone for coming along to this. i swore a lot didn't i? oh well.

the ****ing e.p. can and will now ****ing definately go ahead and we can confirm that april ****ing 13th will be the ****ing release date.

log on to the ****ing website to find out what we'll be up to til ****ing then.

cheers
    der

http://ellison9.com

Advertisement