Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think my hd is dying...

• 19-01-2004 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

Recently one of my 2 hd's has started making a wierd noise, it generally lasts about 1-2 seconds, and sounds like the sound you get when you scrape a pin against paper.

However, scandisk shows up no bad sectors anywhere. How do i tell if it is on the way out? The last thing i want to do is wake up to a cloud of smoke coming out of my computer and a big BSOD. Are there any testing tools out there that can spot a HD on the way out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Generally the manufacturer of your harddrive will have some kind of dos-based utility that'll check out your harddrive for problems using the harddrives SMART features, along with surface scans and all that malarky.
    Find out exactly which brand & model of HD you're dealing with, and hunt down their website.
    Obviously enough, back up all essential data from the drive if you suspect it's on its way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Get your data backed up immediately before you do any tests, if you haven't got it backed up already - just in case :)

Is there an echo in here?

nm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I just found out i have a Deathstar... just google for "ibm deathstar" and you'll know what i mean.

Me shudders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by SantaHoe

nm

:)

Just wanted to make the point to backup BEFORE running any tests and not the other way around
    Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I just found out i have a Deathstar... just google for "ibm deathstar" and you'll know what i mean.

Me shudders.

I heard about those alright :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is your HDD a Seagate Barracuda?, cause I'm getting that noise aswell (sorta electric?). I've had that noise since I first bought the drive 2-3 months ago - it doesn't worry me too much cause it's been there since I bought it:dunno:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ok ignore my last post:rolleyes:, I started my reply over a half an hour ago and just finished it 1 minute ago :D, I was busy!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

guys guys guys! not only is there a post delete button, there's also a post EDIT button, so you don;t have to double post....

My drive is an IBM deathstar, the 60GXP i think. i checked yesterday but i forget now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Mutant, in my (limited) experience, the noise to worry about on hard drives is a kind of nrrr nrrr sound, a gritty grinding. That's the death-rattle of drives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement