Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backing up files???

Options
  • 19-01-2004 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I am going to reinstall windows me but I have no CD writer to backup all the files and only one HD. Is there any other way of backing up files?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

How about defrag your machine, create a folder called Backup, drop your stuff to backup into that folder.

Boot into DOS and delete the Windows, Program Files and Documents and Settings folders.

(If you use NTFS, I'm not sure how to go about it...maybe using the Recovery Console might do it?)

Then reinstall as normal.

I'm not sure if this is supported, but it *should* work.

I've used it a few times when I've been stuck and never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

what spec system have you got

its a good reason to get rid of winme

do a new install of a better os onto that drive,
    then delete all the winme crap off the drive from the new os

should be like a new pc, enjoy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Windows ME - haven't you realised it was only meant to be a practical joke ?

make life easy copy the win?? folder from the CD to the HDD so you can do the insatall from there.
    and rename the folders rather than deleting
    also make a note of the names of the stuff in device manage in case the drivers aren't on the winME cd

You don't have to format the HDD.

attrib c:\*.* -r -a -s -h
    you could then move or copy the hidden files out of the root folder too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

best and safest way would be to create a second partition D: on your HD, put all your backup files there and then you can format and reinstall windows in C:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Simple, providing you have enough hard drive space:

Create a new partition on the hard drive, copy your files onto that partition (it'll just look like a second hard drive on your machine, but will really just be a part of the hard drive you have in it).

You'll then be free to reformat the C: drive and copy the data from the newly created partition back to the C: drive. You can then delete the partition if you wish.

/edit: Fabre got there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Thanks for your help all but I shoul have told you I am not an expert with computers

mukki - I would love to get rid of Windows Me but I wan't to stay with windows so Linux is out of the question. I also don't want to go backwards and get Windows 98/95 therefore the only OS I would get is Windows XP pro but I don't want to spend a few hundred on a new OS. If I could get it for free I would.

Capt'n Midnight - I really appreciate the help but I don't have a clue what you just typed. :(

Fabre/Sinecure - That sounds like the easiest option but what is a partition? :confused:

Cheers.

a partition is a logical division of a hard disk created so that you can have different operating systems on the same hard disk or to create the appearance of having separate hard drives for file management, multiple users, or other purposes. A partition is created when you format the hard disk. Typically, a one-partition hard disk is labelled the "C:" drive ("A:" and "B:" are typically reserved for diskette drives). A two-partition hard drive would typically contain "C:" and "D:" drives. (CD-ROM drives typically are assigned the last letter in whatever sequence of letters have been used as a result of hard disk formatting, or typically with a two-partition, the "E:" drive.)

Taken from www.whatis.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

win98 is actually better than ME, despite the fact that it's older than ME :p me is some sort of retarted hybread between 98 and 2000 :p lol. I had to use ME for a while when it came out and compared to win 98 it was utter bollox! so "reverting" to windows 98 isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

in simple english, a partition is a seperation, in computer terms it's the same, except you're making a partition on your hard drive. What you're doing is splitting your hard drive into two (more if you like). This seperates the data on the drive, you can then store your data on one drive (the newly made d/e drive) and you can have your operating system running on the c drive. there are programs out that can do this for you, but I'd only suggest doing it if you have enough hard drive space and get more info on how to do it first!

edit/ps: what you then do when you have the partition created is, transfer the data you want saved to your new partition. Boot up to dos, format the old partition (the one with your os on it) and reinstall on the partition you just deleted. You now have your data on your new partition and a fresh install of whatever os you decide to use.

Partition:

Say you have a 20Gb hard drive, it'll appear as C: in my computer.

Partitioning basically fools the computer into thinking that there more drives in the compuer than there really is. Eg, you could split the 20Gb hard drive into two 10Gb drives. Obviously there is only one drive in the computer, but this just makes the computer think that there are 2 seperate drives in the machine. They would then appear as C: and D: on your computer.

You'd probably be best getting somebody to do this for you, but then again programs like "Partition Magic" make something like this much easier nowadays.

Any clearer now?

/edit: Ggrrr, this time it was BoB_BoT's turn... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Fabre
    best and safest way would be to create a second partition D: on your HD, put all your backup files there and then you can format and reinstall windows in C:
    <cringe> had bad experiances with partition magic ...
    If your C: drive is a lot smaller than your hard drive then consider partitions - else non-starter.

On the win ME cd there is a folder called winme or something like that - copy it to the C: drive. Better yet copy the win98 folder from a windows 98 CD - just means you don't have to go looking for the CD later on

Make sure you have your serial number too.
    ah the attrib command - keep forgetting that in ME the command prompt is hidden...

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    <cringe> had bad experiances with partition magic ...
    If your C: drive is a lot smaller than your hard drive then consider partitions - else non-starter.

On the win ME cd there is a folder called winme or something like that - copy it to the C: drive. Better yet copy the win98 folder from a windows 98 CD - just means you don't have to go looking for the CD later on

Make sure you have your serial number too.
    ah the attrib command - keep forgetting that in ME the command prompt is hidden...

Why on earth do you want him to copy the cd on his drive? from what I understood all he wants is to do a clean install of windows after backing up his personnal data.

btw eirebhoy how much data do you need to backup and what size is your drive?

Originally posted by Fabre
    Why on earth do you want him to copy the cd on his drive?
    Well it would replace the system files and therefore increase performance to some degree. But nothing beats a good reformat to be honest :-)

Copying that one folder from the CD is not essential but it makes life easier when you want to change setting later on. And it's quite small compared to the size of HDD on computers that came with ME.

No it would not replace any settings until you ran the install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

this new os is a bit better then winme

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/

Advertisement