Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBI Raids Over Half-Life 2 Source Theft?

Options
  • 20-01-2004 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

according to Planethalflife.com
    Slashdot is reporting that at least one house in San Francisco was raided by the FBI, and computers suspected of being involved in the theft of Half-Life 2 source code were seized. To prove that this isn't some kind of joke, they've scanned in copies of the search warrant. There's more information right here, but the site\images are pretty overloaded and slow at the moment.

toshok

the link to the pages of the warrant are there but they are slow as what would be expected

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Excelent, now if there was only a severe punishment they could use...
    Whoeaver did it will get away with a slap on the wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my idea of punishment would be to put him in a cell and in the nextroom have a HL2 lan and he could hear people playing for the next 40 years

Well i could mention 1 or 2 interesting torture methods but they would be frowned upon.

I am relasticaly hopeing he will be sued for ridiclus sums of money so he will be in debt for his entire life and live missrebley until he has had enough end finished himself

As you can tell I have issues when it comes to cheaters/hackers/losers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Aren’t the two of you jumping to conclusions?

well i think my punishment is stern, stern but fair

• Advertisement

Originally posted by monument
    Aren’t the two of you jumping to conclusions?

Its hypectical.
    What punishment should be given if they do catch the guy who did it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well its a little to late. There are copies of the "game" on sale in Russia atm that have been seemingly produced from the source code etc and translated into russian etc albeit with some parts missing due to unfinished levels/plots and what not. What will this person get if he/she/it/Morbo is found guilty will be the same I presume as any person caught breaking into and stealing information via hacking.

As I said a slap on the wrist compared to what why deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    my idea of punishment would be to put him in a cell and in the nextroom have a HL2 lan and he could hear people playing for the next 40 years

Make him play Daikatana.

Or E.T. on the Atari.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I didn't watch it happen but apparently Peter awoke, naked, to a doorway full of FBI agents with guns out, yelling at him to get up. He asked if he could get some clothes on. They said yes. He asked if they could turn on the light so he could see. So Peter got to get dressed under the watchful gaze of government employees. Must have been fun.
    lol, lovely

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Make him play Daikatana.

christ that would be some punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

TBH i think this is more crap, i checked the S/n of the Drives on the list with the WD and ibm sites and none match up so who's tellin the truth ???

D.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Dr4gul4
    TBH i think this is more crap, i checked the S/n of the Drives on the list with the WD and ibm sites and none match up so who's tellin the truth ???

D.

Maybe the FBI getting things wrong on the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

"As I said a slap on the wrist compared to what why deserve"

What is it you think they deserve? The only reason this crime is at all sad is 'cause Valve are always so good about opening source code after releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

na i really doubt it TBh The FBi gettin all the serials wrong, i think not.

In saying this i am prepaired to eat my words and will not go lookin for hardcore evidence

D.

Originally posted by goo
    "As I said a slap on the wrist compared to what why deserve"

What is it you think they deserve? The only reason this crime is at all sad is 'cause Valve are always so good about opening source code after releases.

Well for the hacking, that should be a very severe punishment
    Regarding to HL2 that is a bit iffy.

The code being stolen is a reason given for the delay, while others say thats just a excuse and the game asent ready anyway.

If the source code being stolen is the reason HL2 is delayed them a nice brutal punishment would be in order

whether or not the game was finished or not

hacking in to steal it is hacking in to steal source code in my opinon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Jaysus, it's Valve that should be punished for being so fecking stupid, not some kid that "hacked" into their system by using a copy of the worm that already made rounds around the globe.

I mean how fecking stupid do you need to be to have your source code so openly exposed to the internet? I'm sure there's people who are working on shareware programs that have better security in place than Valve.

I don't think there's any sinister plot behind it. It's probably some snotty kid who sent off a worm to a developer in Valve, who was then in correspondence with the guy, all the time picking up email viruses.. Hello?! Norton Antivirus anyone?! Firewall anyone?!

And what do you think is going to happen to a minor charged with spreading a malicious email virus? Probably nothing.. Community work I'd guess, and having the equipment confiscated.

As i said Netman not a good enough punishment, comunity work? you want a punishment that will make sure that kid or anyone that knows him will neaver do something like that again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

There is a Half Life 2 bete available for download quite openly now...

I'd rather hang on for the finished boxed product thoufg...

• Advertisement

So wait till september eh? It will probbley be a let down considering all the hype
    The new 25 min movie from fileplanet is amazing though i cant see it being a let down if there going to add 9 months of work to the game

Originally posted by James Melody
    There is a Half Life 2 bete available for download quite openly now...

I'd rather hang on for the finished boxed product thoufg...

i'm waiting too

Most people are waiting

Advertisement