Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Routers and my Lack of Hair

• 20-01-2004 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

OK, I've got a 2nd SMC Barricade 7404 router, after a US robotics 1 and I can't seem to connect to Netsource. I can talk to it using an IE window, but it seems to continually reset itself. This really is doing my head in. I had a plan to use sellotape, pixie dust and illegal drugs to see if I'd not notice the difference in dial up access and adsl access, but it really ain't working all that well. Any one else using this router/hub/broadband modem on Netsource? and whats the trick?
    Thanks
    Wobble Wobble
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If its a USR Modem/Router combo then it will NOT work with Netsource.
    Don't even bother trying - they just don't.
    I spent 2 weeks trying before I bought a DLink 300G+*.
    It installed correctly in 30 seconds.

The SMC I have no exxperience of - I use an SMC router but it's plugged into my Dlink modem - Works perfectly.

tribble

*Technically this is not a router but an oddball fully bridged ethernet 'modem' which inherits it's IP from the NIC.
    Most other Netsource users use DLINK equipemnt of one kind or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

try upgrading the firmware first, that can help at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Wobble_Wobble

OK, got in contact with SMC, and it seems that Eircom use a different 'System' to what the hardware manufacturers assume. SMC have a fix for the firmware for using their equipment with Eircom Lines, the firmware update is as follows,
    smc7404eircom025.bin which will allow SMC 7404BRA to talk to an Eircom line.
    Final saga on it, of course, I get the router going, ready to surf the net at lightning speed, and then the ESB cut the power...... Life goes on....
    WW
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

had same problem with that smc router, was installing in a clients office and couldnt for the life of me get it to sync up to eircoms dsl. SMC were very very good with the support tho. There wasnt a fix available at the time but my god did they work till they found one and emailed it straight over to me! Very good service. Their stuff is always priced abit above everyone elses but its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

I've been using an SMC Router for the last six months with NetSource and haven't had a day's trouble.

I assume NetSource are delivering the Eircom product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

My Actiontec Modem (Wireless DSL gateway)
    works ok with
    Eircom (Business and Residential)
    Netsource (SME - Premium)

Will Not work with
    Netsource (SOLO)

Contacted Actiontec for a firmware update - none available.
    Suspected timing issue with Netsource taking too long to validate
    a successful login.
    May affect others also.

Workaround: use it as a Bridging Modem - requires you to use the
    PPoE in WinXP to simulate a dial-up connection.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement