Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enterprise to be cancelled....?

• 20-01-2004 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

From TrekToday
    An anonymous source revealed that executives at Star Trek: Enterprise are trying to save the show from cancellation, and that this may include taking the show to another network.

This anonymous source spoke to Cinescape's Patrick Sauriol about the atmosphere on the Enterprise set. "Star Trek's executives...are running on 'Red Alert' mode to save Enterprise from cancellation doom, and this may include shopping the show to another network or cable channel," the source revealed.

According to the source, the cancellation of Jake 2.0 was unexpected, as both it and Enterprise had been promised full seasons. "Apparently, Trek staffers were assured by higher-ups at UPN, including people in Les Moonves's office, that Enterprise and Jake 2.0 were safe," the source said. "After all, Jake 2.0 was signed to complete this season's run of episodes."

Just last month, the news broke that Enterprise's number of episodes was going to be cut down from 26 to 24, and that the show might be moving to Friday nights (story). However, the Friday night news was dismissed as an incorrect rumor and denied by UPN (story).

However, now rumors of a schedule change seem to be resurfacing. "With the hammer coming down on Jake this week, in addition to the 'trimming' of UPN's order of Enterprise episodes this season, Star Trek's executives fear the promises given were disingenuous at best," the source said. This also comes on the heels of UPN's recent refusal to comment about the future of the show (story).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

No I dont like the sound of that i hope its not true
    Life would feel somewhow different without new startrek episodes to look forward to
    We would still have Sg1 and Re-runs, I just hate when things end in mid seris.

Do you remember space above and beyond? - that ended on the 3rd last epsidode as far as i know!
    Quite popular in ireland/Uk but from what i hear a flop in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by User45701
    Do you remember space above and beyond? - that ended on the 3rd last epsidode as far as i know!
    Didn't they all get killed in the last episode? Would have made for an uneventful last two episodes.... :dunno:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jake 2.0 gets cancelled? Dammit it ain't even begun :(

I doubt 'Enterprise' will get cancelled tho'. Not in my life time. Imagine it will finish a run of years and get its 100 episodes for syndication.

Originally posted by DMT
    Didn't they all get killed in the last episode? Would have made for an uneventful last two episodes.... :dunno:

Beleive or not i have neaver seen the last episode ( the night sky aired it i was at a wedding and well the whole not being able to see thing kinda stoped me from watchig it)

but i only thought that most of them died and then in the last 2 epsiodes they last of them fight and die. hmm mabe im confused. dont supose ne of u know where i get the last episode? I Would gues not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Good. Glad its cancelled. One less ****E program on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The only reasion they want it cancelled is because they want a better (in rateing terms) Star trek show...they have NO intension of getting rid of star trek ......Enterprise is bad and by far the worse of any star trek so i wouldnt give a toss if it is cancelled.

oh and ronaldo if you dont like it dont watch it.ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Originally posted by bizmark
    The only reasion they want it cancelled is because they want a better (in rateing terms) Star trek show...they have NO intension of getting rid of star trek ......Enterprise is bad and by far the worse of any star trek so i wouldnt give a toss if it is cancelled.

Have to agree with bizmark. It has been the only Star Trek series that I have not been able to get into. For me I think it was because it was set in "the past" (in Star trek terms). All of the series before it pushed the Star Trek Universe forward a little bit while Enterprise seems to be always going backwards.

I would prefer a new series set in the TNG - DS9 - Voyager timeline...

Ya if enterprise had a start like TNG it would go something like this : To boldly go where the Enterprise ncc 1701 -a -b-c-d-e Voyager and the defiant have all gone before to seek out and totaly destroy the timeline to boldly going where every captian has gone before!.......then you would see a akira class fly by a few dozen times :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

:p:p:p cancel the dog now:p :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

For the most part I am enjoying it, but the latest episode on UPN (w0oT warz monkey ;)), they addressed the age old issue of 'religion Vs science', or rather I should say they brought it up and said "nah we'll deal with that some other time"...
    which I found rather odd and well badly done.

I don't expect the writers of Star Trek to give a definitive answer but I have grown to expect them to raise valid view points without giving a conclusion, in this episode they start then abruptly stop. Poorly done, and maybe that's whats wrong with the series, it lacks past Star Trek series, ideology. The theme of Enterprise is sound, we get to see how the federation is formed, but its just not working, it just lacks something :)

But I still want to see how it all turns out, despite its many flaws I still like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I agree with bizmark.

As for azezil's point, I think the idea of a Star Trek show 100 years before Kirk was a great idea in itself. Unfortunately, they decide to have a ship filled with bland characters, light years from where all the action is happening. Plus they decide to pollute the timeline with this "temporal cold war" which isn't turning up anything interesting. The writing is **** poor as well. Had they brought in good quality writers they could have made something amazing of this.

Let's hope it does get cancelled and we can have a proper show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

After last nights episode i'm not surprised they are thinking of getting rid.
    God what an awful episode.
    I bet it was after this episode was aired that the calls for the cancellation started.
    Can they not use test audiences for series like they do movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

the rumours of cancellation surface yet again, i dunno somedays i feel it should be canvelled and other days they show episoeds like regeneration the upcoming carbon creek raijin etc and say what the hell ill give it another go

i have to agree that extinction was the greatest load if ****e ive ever seen, you know the writers are getting burned out when they have to regurgitate old TNG episodes for new stories.

I suppose if its gets cancelled it gets cancelled, even though it has some strong stories it really is the poorest of all the Star Trek series.

Ye never know though maybe moving to a new network will give it a new lease of life, thats of course if all of this is actually true

wont believe it till i see it

shin

Can they not use test audiences for series like they do movies.

Don't think test audiences are the magic solution. Fair enough most films please the masses, but how many really great films actually come out of the process. One of the reasons Buffy the vampire slayer did so well is because Josh Whedon adopted "I'd prefer having 100 people love it than 10000 people simply liking it" as his motto. And the result is some people may despise the show, but it has an extremely loyal core fan base. Sometimes good writers just have to stick to their guns despite initial luke-warm reaction till members of the audience "get" what they're at.

Originally posted by tallpaul
    Have to agree with bizmark. It has been the only Star Trek series that I have not been able to get into. For me I think it was because it was set in "the past" (in Star trek terms). All of the series before it pushed the Star Trek Universe forward a little bit while Enterprise seems to be always going backwards.

I would prefer a new series set in the TNG - DS9 - Voyager timeline...

Yes A new seris wound be nice set just after the events of nemisses, but i cant think what it would be about.... they have explored almost all new worlds in the alpha quadrent. Mabe if this friendly thing with the romulans goes ahead they Federation could be allowed to send vessels into distant parts of the beta quadrent.

another possibly is a seris that follows 2 ships.....
    Consider

2 long range vessels where dispatched to meet up with voyager. Voyager uses a transwarp conduit to make it home fast. Those 2 science ships still have about 2 years travel back to Federation space. They have new planets to explore and mabe seome new races aswell.

A new series based on new explorations using Quantum Slipstream technology taken from Voyager and perfected by federation scientists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I say bring back Babylon 5!! and don't cancel Enterprise its better then voyager, not as good as Ds9 and nowhere in the same league as TNG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I actually like Enterprise, and I would be annoyed if it was cancelled. If they cancelled the show, I think Star Trek would be virtually dead. I can't see them making another film with the TNG crew, and I can't see them making another huge financial investment (another new show).

The major problem with Enterprise is that they went backwards in time, relatively speaking. Geeks around the world would have been much happier if Enterprise had been set 200 years after Voyager and DS9.

Blame the tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of geeks that now download Star Trek, instead of watching on TV; which helps to increase the shows ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Lawdie
    :p:p:p cancel the dog now:p :p:p

I agree. Its a crime against Star Trek.
    Didn't they all get killed in the last episode? Would have made for an uneventful last two episodes....

The final episode that aired here showed them being cast adrift in an escape pod in the middle of a firefight. It never showed them actually being killed. I think the cloned commander was fighting for his life too, since the bomb went off in his face after the peace negotiations broke down.

I have all of SAAB on my pc...what a great show. Such a shame that the Americans didn't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Surely test audiences would have pointed out to them that last nights episode should have been destroyed.
    I actually like the series overall. Its just when they do something like this it really annoys me.
    I thought voyager and ds9 were ****e.
    Couldnt get into them at all.

I do believe it takes a while for the cast to gel and think that the cast of enterprise gelled very quickly.
    Remember the first season of tng? my god they actors didnt know where they were, but it got better.

Good point Daithi. I recently looked at season 1 TNG. It was quite woeful.

I thought season 1 of TNG was much better than the first two seasons of Enterprise and Voyager. It was cheesy with cheap-looking production but at least it was watchable, unlike the blandness that is Enterprise and early Voyager. And what's the obsession with making everything grey lately? Reminds me of the first season of farscape, when I though, "hey this looks cool",and after a while thought "uggh, this looks brown". Same with new star trek shows, thought it all looked cool and modern for a while, now it justs looks g[rh]ey.

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I have all of SAAB on my pc...what a great show. Such a shame that the Americans didn't get it.

???? PLA ESE I MUST HAVE THEM~!~!!!!!!!
    OMG emm what size/quality are they. where did u get them?

Omg im so happy ive neaver seen the last episode i know what happens but the night it was aired on sky1 i was at a wedding and i couldent see so i wasent able to watch it.

Thanks

talking about the 1st season of TNG. I didnt like it much myself but i have still watched it a rediclus number of times

Someone on this forum mentioned yesterday... "Why didnt piccard just obay the prime dirictive when wesley fell into the flower bed" - If he had of done that season 1 would have been the best season of TNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Praetorian

I agree. Let's get some distribution sorted! I don't suppose you can burn DVD+Rs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

SAAB talk aside, (god show though first episode rocked)

ah i can't see enterprise being cancelled, its doing ok in the states at the moment better then last season and i still think voyager wasn't great around this time in its lifetime either so i can see it going on for a bit, well heres hoping anyway.

We Irish seem to love SAAB and it got canned in the states cause it wassent popular.
    Same with Dark Angel. that was popular in UK but low rated in US
    And same with family guy. eurpe got much more ratings that US family guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Thank god its being cancelled.

What star trek needs is to be cancelled.

hopefully get new talent in to think about actually how to make a good tv show.

Come back in 5 years time with a bit of cop on and decent story telling ability.

Originally posted by User45701
    eurpe got much more ratings that US family guy

probably because not as many of the funny jokes were censored. Can imagine the US family guy being about 5 mintues long, full of totally PC crap.

The family guy dvds were much more popular than the tv showing. They were the reason it was brought back from cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I loved SAAB and was well disappointed when it was cancelled. I thought it had a good story to it.

Bloody americans always cancelling the best of shows while they churn out crap like rich girls and the osburnes. Sure i seen today that sharon osburne has her own show.

American truly is a crazy place!!

(now how about this SAAB disturbution?)

All the good sci-fi shows seem to get the axe. Maybe it's because they require the viewer to think and become involved beyond that of tune in, get your cheap laugh, tune out.

They get canceled cause of all thease cultural differences.
    PPL in different countires like different shows

family guy being about 5 mintues long, full of totally PC crap.

my god that show was a breath of fresh air ....I remember the song peter sung when he made his own house a country fecking class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Cancel Enterprise and give us the Captain Sulu series everyone wants....

thing is everyone doesn't want a captain sulu series, they couldn't even get a captain sulu book together a few years back.

editor of pocket books i think it was john ordover said if he got X many requests (a reasonable amount i assure you) they would do a captain sulu book/series not sure which they didn't get anywhere near it at the time don't think his popularity is all it is made out to be

• Advertisement

sulu is like 76 or something for criist sake it would be a joke for him to be given a 7 year long mission....crist theirs a good likelyhood he would be dead before the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Cancel Enterprise and give us the Captain Sulu series everyone wants....

replace 'captain sulu' with 'seven of nine.'

Originally posted by bizmark

oh and ronaldo if you dont like it dont watch it.ffs :rolleyes:

Clearly I dont watch it. Its ****e.

ah don't worry about it ronaldo its just your opinion thats wrong :), i repeat this all the time but a lot of people seem to have short term memory with respect to star trek series. THE FIRST FEW SEASONS ARE NEVER GREAT GIVE IT TIME, at least to the end of this season

Indeed wise words dataisgod

I remember when DS9 first stated on Uk/Ireland as far as i recall it was shown on BBC on thuesday or thursday at 7.00. Moast poeple hated the first few seris of DS9

It a good first episode. Better than Farpoint in TNG
    Voyager and Enterprise had decent first episodes. The rating for voyagers first episode where over 21 million

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    ah don't worry about it ronaldo its just your opinion thats wrong :), i repeat this all the time but a lot of people seem to have short term memory with respect to star trek series. THE FIRST FEW SEASONS ARE NEVER GREAT GIVE IT TIME, at least to the end of this season
    and in the case of Voyager, the last few seasons are shit too? :)

btw, why do you think the first few seasons (of DS9 and TNG) are never great? Other shows seem to be able to put something decent together in the space of.... 3 years.

I didnt think voaygaer was that bad in the end, i did like the kazon but the borg kept it interesting

I liked the episode with the devore imperiam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I loved SAAB and was well disappointed when it was cancelled. I thought it had a good story to it.
    Bloody americans always cancelling the best of shows while they churn out crap like rich girls and the osburnes. Sure i seen today that sharon osburne has her own show.

Ye, would like the SAAB on PC where the hell can you get it?

On the issue of cancelling shows:

:mad: :mad: FIREFLY:mad: :mad:

I firmly believe that in a ten years this will be the old star trek series (et al Kirk)
    What I mean is that people will identify its unique qualities.
    Rodenberry created something new something different what followed was 'dollys'
    JW went from Buffy and created something 'new and different' if Firefly

It had a good start and major potential, major

Ye SAAB on puc is what i would love i sent a message to guy at boards .ie who has it but i forgot his name and didnt get a message back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

enterprise was doomed for me the first time i heard the intro music, urggh

I have actualy heard it played in many pubs and a few months ago when i was in the hideout (beaside stephens green) i heard it in there so it does seem to be a popular song. allot of Star Trek fans arnt fond of it. One of my friends mutes the TV during the intro

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

It wont get cancelled. These rumours go out every year, last year there were rumours that Enterprise was to be scrapped and replaced by a new series of TNG. This "anonymous source' is probably the same bloke that starts them every year. Maybe even one of the producers to scare everyone into watching it.

Originally posted by Dataisgod

lol i guess it must be me...id probably show more interest if all the girls didnt look like aliens. :p

That cant be your only motivation for watching star trek
    Besides whats wrong with Tpol?

Originally posted by kaids
    and in the case of Voyager, the last few seasons are shit too? :)

btw, why do you think the first few seasons (of DS9 and TNG) are never great? Other shows seem to be able to put something decent together in the space of.... 3 years.

TNG was pretty good at the start admittedly in comparision to others, killed of a major character in the first season, you don't see that happening these days, however i think the show really kicked off with episodes like Q who i think it was when he introduced them to the borg and yesterdays enterprise both classic episodes.

DS9 i don't think got off to as good a start too much focus on religion and that crap, it was unique though it that it did the first three-parter as opposed to the usual two, involving the bajoran terrorist group the circle. DS9 though really got its teeth when it got the defiant and the jem'hadar were introduced, quality show all in all

• Advertisement
Advertisement