Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with regards to further education

Options
  • 20-01-2004 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hello,
    First off didn't know where to put this in the education section hope it's okay here.
    Anyway I did my LC last year but didn't go to college. Now I'd love to get further eduction what type of courses can I do apart from the normal type. I mean like maybe part time courses etc. Any info on where I can do these etc. would be great

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Any idea what subjects you might be interested in? It might help folks point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Have a look at www.daycourses.com

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Hey Buffybot.
    I am interesting in studying computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Hi, Im in a similar situation to Brian but I left after the junior cert. I was thinking I would have to go back and do the leaving until I saw that Oscail course that Buffybot posted up.

I have two questions

1. It states on the Oscail page that.. "a reasonable level of competence in mathematics is essential to ensure successful completion of some modules."

Im fine with the basic stuff, multiplication division, ect, But I assume thats not what their talking about,
    What sort of stuff will they be throwing at me?

2. The course seems to cover a wide range of things, what type of job would I be able/fit to apply for with that type of degree?

Thanks
    Buss77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by bus77

1. It states on the Oscail page that.. "a reasonable level of competence in mathematics is essential to ensure successful completion of some modules."

Im fine with the basic stuff, multiplication division, ect, But I assume thats not what their talking about,
    What sort of stuff will they be throwing at me?

They start off at essentaially Leaving Cert Maths and progress onto Integration, Differentiation, Trigonometry, probability and then statistics.

If you are any way weak at maths (as I am), you will have some trouble (I did).

2. The course seems to cover a wide range of things, what type of job would I be able/fit to apply for with that type of degree?

A general IT degree can get you any number of jobs, I did the degree a few years ago, and I've been in a call center, Databases and application support.

I have to say, though, the course itself is not too hard. In my experience, dealing with the non-academic staff was the hardest part. They are an absoloute nightmare to deal with, and I believe they are getting worse.

If anyone else is looking for/has more info why not post on the Distance and Part-Time Learning forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i'm in the last year of a night course in computers in DIT bolton st
    the way we done it was 3 years for the cert at 2 nights a week with 2 classes a night and 4 exams at the end of the year and 2 assignments in each subject
    then the degree was broken into modules so i have to do 6 subjects and a final project, some people done it in 1 year but i'm spreading it over 2 years
    i must admit i'm very weak in maths and find it a struggle, in fact i have a maths assignment due tomorrow and i still haven't got it finished yet :rolleyes:
    but don't let that put you off, most of the subjects are rubbish and may not make sense to what you ultimately want to do but if you can just plow through them you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Thanks for the replys all, I might give that Oscail course a go. God help me:)

Advertisement