Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wifi hotspots in dungarvan, co waterford??

• 20-01-2004 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

hello
    i have checked irishwan.org and the waterford wan web pages, as well as those listed in the dublin hotspot post.

does anybody know of any wifi hotspots in dungarvan?

tx
    jt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

Waterford WAN is principally located around the eastern part of Waterford county and connected to Wexford and hopefully soon to Kilkenny. We'd need more people out toward the west of the county to get as far a Dungarvan.

Check out he south-east section on the Irishwan.org Forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Dont know of any hotspots, but the southeastwan should be covering Dungarvan by the summer. We could make it happen sooner if you happened to know someone willing to have a node in the Drum Hills to the south of the town. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

ok, thanks for that.
    I'm on the Ardmore side of the Drum hills.
    I do know some people who overlook Dungarvan though. I presume a node is an aerial with some hardware connected. What advantages would there be for people to host a node?
    tx
    jt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

A node typically consists of a pole, either freestanding/with stays or on the side/chimney of a house, with at least 1 directional antenna to link to another node, and then typically an omni-directional antenna for people to link in (busier nodes use sector antennas). The antennas are then connected to wireless cards in a pc (either a 'normal' pc, or a more compact ITX or SBC board). I plan to do some signal and LOS tests from the hills there fairly shortly, and will let you know if its possible to establish a direct link to them. Many people are willing to host a node in exchange for nothing other than the convenience of not needing any external antenna to link into the network if it's on their house. Some arent as generous and usually end up getting free internet. ;)

Advertisement