Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - recommend an ISDN modem

• 20-01-2004 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey,

I have Eircom coming out to me next week to install ISDN.
    Can someone please recommend a modem and the best place to get one?
    Was going to get one on Komplett. Can anyone recommend one there?

Cheers

Smurphy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Just out of curiosity, why are you having ISDN installed ? That's old technology now, and why pay eircom €37.50 rental per month not including your ISDN call charges when you can have broadband for €40/month by March ? Is broadband not available in your area ?

Just wondering - sorry for going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Smurphy

Hey PhoenixRising,

Believe me, I would MUCH prefer to have Broadband but it is not available in my area and won't be there for about another year(or so my contact in Eircom says).

I need some kind of high speed line to be able to work from home.
    The company I work for are paying for it anyway.

So can you recommend an ISDN modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

That's lowsy that broadband isn't available to you.

A friend of mine has ISDN and he has an eicon diva modem, and he hasn't had any problems with it. I think it was the one that eircom supplied though. BTW he tried to get broadband recently and eircom told him that he couldn't as ISDN lines don't work with broadband and he would have to pay eircom to come out and disconnect his ISDN if he ever wants broadband - so be warned ;)

yea I know that you need to pay Eircom to disconnect the ISDN line before they will install the broadband....the disconnection fee is €24.99

but I don't really have a choice.....I need a high speed line for work...

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have had about two years of ISDN before I got NTL :cool:

With the ISDN I have tried the Eicon Diva (by far the most common ISDN T/A in Ireland) and found it ok, but not great. I quickly replaced this one with the Hayes Accura. I found this an extremely stable T/A and was very happy with it

This can be bought in elara.ie for €64 + €9 shipping. The Eicon on Komplett.ie is cheaper at €55 + €10 shipping. But for the amount you are unfortunately going to spend on your telephone calls, the difference is peanuts

Hope you get broadband soon m8 ;)

BTW sold my T/A a few weeks ago here on boards for €30. You could try and pick one up second hand as many boarders that used to have ISDN have broadband now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by Smurphy
    Hey,

I have Eircom coming out to me next week to install ISDN.
    Can someone please recommend a modem and the best place to get one?
    Was going to get one on Komplett. Can anyone recommend one there?

Cheers

Smurphy

Draytek MiniVigor

is an excellent usb/isdn, unless you need pots ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

@Smurphy: I have a choice of two here - ones a Fritz!/AVM card - the other..i'd have to have another look and see.

If your interested in lifting one of these off us, let me know and i will post exact spec on each card.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

Hi,
    you dont say if you are using the ISDN for business, if you are you may want to share the ISDN connection with a couple of PC's if you are doing this, its really easy and all you need is a LAN modem, and a cuple of network cards, network cards are like €24 or something a lan modem, (modem with built in hub for connectiong muliple connections) start at like €150,

But Im just being complicated but, there you go.
    Satalite Broadband.
    also you should check out, satalite broadband, no matter where you are ,you get connection, (and save fortune on a ISDN which is rubbish anyway and rip-off)
    see
    http://broadband.digiweb.ie/

Hi Slothy,

I don't own a business. I am working from home for a large multi-national company.

I can't use Satellite Broadband.....my work largely involves accessing other PC's from around the world remotely......Satellite Broadband is not really practical for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Aaaaggh the sight of that miniVigor brings back memories. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but if you're not running Win 2k/XP, you might have problems with the drivers for that ISDN TA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by GerardKeating
    Draytek MiniVigor

in a world filled with crap it is.

best isdn modem are

eicon diva

ASUS isdn modem

both sold on www.komplett.ie

i have the first one and it's great.
    i've also had the draytek and it's rubbish

pings and downloads are faster with the eicon
    i've heard good things about the ASUS

either one should be fine but don't get the dray tek not only is it nearly twice as expensive it doesn't preform as well

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm using an Asus ISDN modem (don't think that's the right terminology). Bit cheaper than the Eicon but never had any problems with it as yet. Seems good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the ASUS isdn modem my self and its very good indeed. If u are into gameing like i was the ASUS isdn modem gives you a very low ping.

Dont know anything about the Eicon Diva so i cant comment on it.

Also try and get a modem that is internal as i have had usb modems and i find the ping on them are not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Originally posted by GerardKeating
    Draytek MiniVigor

il second this. simple installation and extremely reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

The draytek is a hunk of junk, stear clear.
    I've played around with loads of them and reccommend the ASUS (PCI internal) and Eicon Diva (PCI internal) as the best of the bunch although they are a bit pricey.

On the cheaper end of the spectrum - Fritz PCI internal, Lasat speed basic usb (have one for sale for 20E, all cables in Dublin if interested...) Any of the Trust internal PCI cards are also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I have a Trust ISDN PCI card, very cheap but it's perfect... For online gaming pings are half those on my expensive Xircom PCMCIA ISDN modem.

Advertisement