Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats and their staff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wow - I think this thread is starting to make a difference. Some pointers:

1. I would also like Peats to have a commercial board here - surely this wouldn't cost the world. Terms probably could be favourable / negotiated

2. Xithus - never saw you in there m8. This guy knows his stuff alright :) Haven't been in there myself in the last year or two that much I must admit

3. eo980 = Liam = guy works in Peats with long hair / beard? We all know that guy knows his stuff

4. only a fool would expect a shop like Peats to offer the same products for the same price as komplett.ie a.o. There are plenty of occasions when I would be willing to spend just a little bit more to have local access to a local company where I don't pay shippping and can return faulty products quickly

5. like I stated before, if you're not satisfied with an answer to your technical question or problem, insist the salesguy you're talking to will get someone else involved. This need not be embarrassing for either of you. I do this all the time in any shop and it works grand most of the time in many shops (exception: PCWorld)

6. Looking forward to the new boards.ie user "Peatsman" answering queries :D

Hope we can all gain from this thread in one way or another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by elexes
    maplins is pants imo and there returns policy is a joke . i was one day over the 14 days return and tho i had spoken to the manager on the phone about me not bing able to get to dublin within the time period i couldnt get cash back . that was back in november . they said they would have to send it back to there test center in the uk b4 i could get anything and im still feckin waiting on them . maplins has one nice staff member and the rest are just prats .

Which store and which staff member?

Originally posted by unkel
    4. only a fool would expect a shop like Peats to offer the same products for the same price as komplett.ie a.o. There are plenty of occasions when I would be willing to spend just a little bit more to have local access to a local company where I don't pay shippping and can return faulty products quickly

In my experience Peats is usually more expensive than other stores within walking distance. So it not just that they are more expensive than the web. Komplett are not the cheapest on the web either come to that. Peats are expensive period. Its not a occasional lapse either. Peats have always been consistantly expensive going back years. Occasionally you might find something thats the same price or even very slightly cheaper. But its the exception rather than the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the one on jervis st.

guy with a baldy head/glasses . very nice chap always like going in when hes ther .

the one on jervis st.

guy with a baldy head/glasses . very nice chap always like going in when hes ther .

Tall bloke? Yeah seen him helping people. I use the Blanch one more. Staff aren't that nice, IMO. But the Jervis one is always mobbed. Pricey too. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Its terribly overpriced....you just have to go in and take a peek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye always mobbed . thats another reason i dont like going into it cause some public take freakin ages to serve.

and my gf has a opinion that the hairier the guy is the more he knows about pcs and by her logic the guys in peats know more ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Quick Dixons story:

Was in Dixons Jervis St a while back there was a guy asking one of the 'sales staff' what the difference between 2 DVD players was. Yer woman he was asking was your typical inner city oul one. She had no interest in anything except when her next fag break was, god love her.

So she squints at the little 'info' tags stuck to the 2 players... "Em... emm... let me see love..... jaysus ... hang on now...." for about 2 minutes. Eventually she spots a difference. "Oh yeah love, here, look, dis one is €219, dee udder wan is €199, see?"

Dude says "yeah but whats the diffence between them? why is that one more expensive?"

She replies: (classic!) "oh i'd have to get dat man there to tell you. he's very good with all dat technical stuff, you see he's very good at mesmemem.... mumsiring..... mesmisign..... oh jaysus, i can't remember the word!"

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

6. Looking forward to the new boards.ie user "Peatsman" answering queries :D

lol. With a bit of luck this thread will get them thinking a board here would be a good idea.

Ricardo: Parnell St isnt exactly miles away.. And I dont think peats are the sole distributor for sony products in Ireland.. They do run a few of the Sony Centres though.

And yes that guy in maplins knows his stuff.. :) see we do check prices from time to time.

ye always mobbed . thats another reason i dont like going into it cause some public take freakin ages to serve.

and my gf has a opinion that the hairier the guy is the more he knows about pcs and by her logic the guys in peats know more ...

Yea if people just helped us out a little bit..

ME: Hi
    CUSTOMER: Hiya love can I have a lead for de telly ?
    ME: Sure, How long ?
    CUSTOMER: Ah jaysus, De standard lent, ya know, its to go from me fireplace to de wall.
    ME: NEXT !

That happens.. every day.. :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Xithus
    lol. With a bit of luck this thread will get them thinking a board here would be a good idea.

Ricardo: Parnell St isnt exactly miles away.. And I dont think peats are the sole distributor for sony products in Ireland.. They do run a few of the Sony Centres though.

And yes that guy in maplins knows his stuff.. :) see we do check prices from time to time.

Miles away from what exactly?

Checking what? That you're AS expensive? Ryan Air needs to get into retail....

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Which store and which staff member?

Didn't realise you're working in Maplin's RicardoSmith ;)

Didn't realise you're working in Maplin's RicardoSmith ;)

Neither did I?

From the main streets in the city centre I assumed you were speaking of.

Our closest competition is maplin, and we usually beat there prices.. I havnt been round there in awhile though so I could be wrong.

Theres little point in attacking me about the prices.. Im not representing peats here.

LOL - RicardoSmith I reckoned you went into defensive mode, but alas, not

Now I want to know the answers to your very questions as well. Town or Blanch and then who?

Our closest competition is maplin, and we usually beat there prices..

I wouldn't say that - their specials can be quite good, you don't really have any specials on, do you
    Theres little point in attacking me about the prices.. Im not representing peats here.

Fair point, we know where you're coming from. Hopefully this thread might convince the dinosaurs that be in Peats that the world has moved on a tiny bit in the last few decades. Never answered my question though, is Liam the guy with the long hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    In my experience Peats is usually more expensive than other stores within walking distance

Sorry, I just got to do this. This is the price differance I noticed when I went in search of my switch. A D-Link DES-1008D -Port Switch.
    IT Direct - €47.98
    Peats - €98.

Yes I am not joking. I bought it in IT Direct and went into peats to find some networking cables [needed more and IT Direct had none but grey ones :( ] and I saw it there for twice the price. You dont realise how tempted I was to actually go up to them and mention that I bought the exact same switch for half the price 10minute walk away.

I can find the staff a joke in there sometimes. Usually though I dont buy there due to their high prices, but its always nice to take a look at things there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Iv said the same thing myself many times. Ill pass on the message.
    Oh please do. It's annoying enough that I'll never go near the webpage again until that happens.

From the main streets in the city centre I assumed you were speaking of.

Our closest competition is maplin, and we usually beat there prices.. I havnt been round there in awhile though so I could be wrong.

"Our closest competition ... I'm not representing peats"

Why defend consistently expensive pricing then? As far as I'm concerned both Maplins and Peats are as bad as each other. IT Direct while not perfect, at least have reasonable prices, even in some cases when compared to the web. But you still have to shop around to know whats a resonable price and whats got a 100% or more markup. In summary you can't trust the retailers to give you a good deal. Once people realise this and go shopping around for prices I doubt they ever go back to Peats. But theres always a steady supply of lemmings who'll never shop around ever. Thats Peats core customer base.

The Irish consumer needs to cop on.

Im so glad i started this thread. Its getting everything in the air and hopefully will end up helping peats get their pricing sorted cos it sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yup,

I know the ex vat prices on the site are a bit of a pain in the ass, I ain't overly fond of it myself, but we do DO alot of sales with companies... but, I agree, it is annoying. Another point to pass onto management and see if we can get it sorted.

Fair enough zoro, heh, that's good sales advice alright between a €99 and €300+ graphics cards, it can display more colours- what more do you want eh! :)

Hey DaithiSurfer, what was your order number (if you still know it), and for curiosity I'll look it up and see what on earth happened.

Dataisgod- I'm ordering the Sharkoon gear today, I'll see if I can get the black version of the keyboard. It will be the US layout, if I wanted the Irish version, I'd have to order 500 minimum as they are made to order. Heh, 500 Sharkoon keyboards, I'd like to swing that one by the boys in blue (our management- not the cops!).

RicardoSmith- fair enough. If you look back through the thread you'll see the repsonses myself and Xithus have posted. It's a shame you feel and think that- but sure can't please everybody eh? With regards to Xithus, he hasn't really been defending the store, more casually pointing stuff out and taking note. I've been the muppet trying my best to at least defend the honour of the store!!

Way Hay unkel- at last, someone who realises the differance between the highstreet and online (no offence to anyone else! :)
    Xithus knows his stuff alright, and myself, eh no I have a beard and short hair!!! In regards to the board on boards- myself and Xithus will see what we can do.

Ahem €89 for a Dlink.... now, its €69. Heh, more expensive I know, but not a whopping €89 Winters!

I guess we're coming to a close on this thread, so I'll sum up by saying.....
    If you have a problem when your instore, just ask someone who knows what their talking about (there are a few of us who know our stuff).
    Instead of tearing us down, if your not happy with us, or the web, point it out to us contructively and we'll do our damnedest? to help ya out and sort the problem.
    We can't offer the same prices as Komplett, we can try but they ARE two completely differant types of store.
    And thats pretty much it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by eo980

Dataisgod- I'm ordering the Sharkoon gear today, I'll see if I can get the black version of the keyboard. It will be the US layout, if I wanted the Irish version, I'd have to order 500 minimum as they are made to order. Heh, 500 Sharkoon keyboards, I'd like to swing that one by the boys in blue (our management- not the cops!).

thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think peats should get a board (ie like Komplett)..... didnt realise there were people on here working for them ;)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

as regards the ex-vat thing, komplett have that taken care of by a radio button on the main page, tick it if u want ex-vat prices, this is stored in a cookie, so u will always get ex-vat prices displayed when u visit. clean easy way of handling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well, if anyone from Peats is here, change the (instore) spec on the Sony Picturebook(s)... there is no such thing as "Intel" Crusoe processors. Transmeta make them.

Mistakes like that make a shop look amateur-ish.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

So does anyone on here work for maplin? The person you are referring to in the Jervis St store is Bryan, the assistant manager and there are a lot of customers who only deal with him. I worked there years ago, there used to be a better crew, but always the same manager :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

The order number :)
    I've put that one into the blackhole where the order went sdo i cant tell you what it is.

Peats guys, you keep going back to comparing your prices to komplett and making the point that they are web based.
    But ricardo and others have consistantly pointed out that you are being compared to other highstreet stores and you continually go back to the kmplett comments.

Anyone want to open up a shop beside peats? I bet you'ld make a fortune or at least force peats to drop their prices :)

Using your website would be web based shopping - correct.
    It makes no difference the guy in donegal browsing the web between your website and komplett. He doesnt care if you have overheads or not. Therefore you ARE competing with komplett directly. And as a consequence come a sorry second.

A board would be a great idea, but i imagine that the problem is that people would just keep pointing out your prices there and at the end of the day the less that know how expensive you are the better as far as peats are concerned. I think it would be no advantage to peats unless they were willing to compete.

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    The order number :)
    I've put that one into the blackhole where the order went sdo i cant tell you what it is.

Peats guys, you keep going back to comparing your prices to komplett and making the point that they are web based.
    But ricardo and others have consistantly pointed out that you are being compared to other highstreet stores and you continually go back to the kmplett comments.

Anyone want to open up a shop beside peats? I bet you'ld make a fortune or at least force peats to drop their prices :)

Using your website would be web based shopping - correct.
    It makes no difference the guy in donegal browsing the web between your website and komplett. He doesnt care if you have overheads or not. Therefore you ARE competing with komplett directly. And as a consequence come a sorry second.

A board would be a great idea, but i imagine that the problem is that people would just keep pointing out your prices there and at the end of the day the less that know how expensive you are the better as far as peats are concerned. I think it would be no advantage to peats unless they were willing to compete.

Were never going to beat komplett on prices, We do try to compete with other high street stores and with a board up here id hope any price discrepencies could be pointed out to us so we could ammend them if possible.

Exactly what are you going on about peats staff?

You have a website. One can purchase items on your website. Therefore you are a web based company and you should offer web based prices. No one cares about overheads. They care about prices.

• Advertisement

Right Ronaldo,

I feel at this stage that I'm just rehashing everything that I've already said. It isn't as simple as you'd put it. We are a company who offers a web service that runs in TANGENT with our store based operation. Just because we do business over the web, doesn't mean that we are solely web based, aka, Komplett. They don't have a high street store, we do. Business is not as simple as your stating it to be.
    We do, have a healthy web based business, its not on the scale that Komplett's is, but we're not aiming for that. We do try to be as competitive as we can be. Sincerly I mean that, but our PRIMARY focus, unlike Komplett's is on our store.

I do honestly feel, that no matter what I can say or would say that your just going to disagree with me anyway. Your entitled to feel disgruntled, so be it.
    I can go on trying to address the situation but thats not going to resolve anything.

Regards,
    Liam (Tired & Bothered at this stage!! :)

(O, and incidently Xithus=Barry, eo980=Liam)

Advertisement