Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats and their staff

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I wouldnt shop in Unity...It has to be the dirtiest shop in town...I can't get over the level of dust on boxes on display, it feels like the place hasn't been cleaned since it opened..

Really turns me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Personally I shop in IT direct. They were the first to bring reasonable prices into Dublin, so I like to support that, rather than somewhere like Peats who have been expensive for as along as I care to remember. I wish IT Direct would get a decent website up though, and get more stock, in stock. They are also open very handy hours.

IT Direct are dreadful in my opinion. Bugger all in stock and it takes them ages to get stuff in you order. Hell, last time I ordered something from them, 10 days after I went in and asked them to order the ram for me I got a call from one of there sales plebs asking if I was still interested in the ram and if I wanted them to order it in for me? At that point I just went to Komplete and have never looked back since :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

About unity etail on jervis street, I wouldn;t touch them with a ten - foot bargepole. They stock practically nothing (maybe some cdrs and a couple of generic mice / keyboards). They order everything in - their prices are around itdirect level (maybe more expensive). It takes forever for the stuff to arrive. Their business model is absurd, but I hear they have some business contracts - I suppose businesses aren;t always too choosy.

Peats is a bit expensive, but I do like the diversity of their products. The sharkoon stuff, the Thermaltake cases, shuttles etc. People do like buying from shops still, I'd prefer to buy something and take it home there and then. However, it would be completely stupid of me to buy a gfx card or processor from them instead of komplett as I'd be throwing money away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Unity
    Me> Have you got this or this motherboard (just happened to be passing and saw the box in the window)
    Uty> Oh I don't know, I'll check - (goes into backroom and pretends to look)
    Uty> Hah, don't have it but I can order it
    Me> How much is it?
    Uty> Em, erm, ah 100 euro(85 in ITDirect)
    Me> I can get it cheaper elsewhere - bye

Peats
    Me> I need motherboard x from your website
    Pts> Ah we don't have it in stock, but you can have this more expensive and worse one
    Me> Nah - goes to Maplin's and shock - get's it cheaper.

Maplin
    Me> Oh look, there's a 15% markup against the UK prices (currency and VAT differences taken into account).

IT Direct
    Me> Can I have item X from your website
    ID> Its not in stock
    Me> Pulls out list Can I have Y then
    ID> Its not in stock
    Me> Can I have Z instead
    ID> Its not in stock

CCity (trade)
    Me> Needed to supply a number of machines quickly, reviews website - motherboards don't have make or model Greg, what motherboards and these
    CC> Sends spec. - Me/thinks they're crap
    Me> What about these ones
    CC> Getting miffed - sends 2nd spec (ok).
    Me> Orders 4 machines with 2nd mobo. Spec excludes onboard n/w (there were two models of this board) so add network cards to each machine
    CC> Machines appear
    Me> Notice the motherboards have onboard n/w - but 4 boxed network cards are supplied with the stuff :rolleyes:.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The peats components staff are sound enough. I don't buy a whole lot from them these days, because nobody in Ireland can match the prices that are available to me in the UK.

At the end of the day, they are just people paid to waffle about products, and they are on a commission so I've no problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

You have no reason to have a problem with them since you live in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I live in Co Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If I'm buying for business I tend to buy from peats. I'm not concerned about the price so much as being able to _walk_ to the shop and return in an hour or two after i purchased if there is a problem.

I think that people going into high street stores looking for advice are asking for trouble. Particularly people that already know what they are talking about ! You know what you want, so ask for it. There's no need to ask for the details about it in some ridiculous attempt to prove your excessive nerd knowledge. You check what you want before you get there !!

Several people just seem to have a thing against peats. Yeah they are more expensive in things. Personally I wouldn't buy anything except small things from them, cabling, crimpers, psu's etc. Stuff under 100 squid or so. (except for as i said above, for business).

Most of the time I've found the staff to be very friendly. I've had issues with one manager who didn't seem to concerned with satisfying the customer, but you'll get wallies everywhere.

I'd appeal to the peats management to seriously consider the forum. Have a read through the komplett/elara forums to see how they are run. You aren't opening yourself up to any trouble, it's merely an informal medium with your customers. As you can see from the thread, people do genuinely want to spend their money in Peats, but won't as long as they can walk 10 minutes away and get whatever it is cheaper !

my blather.
    Gav

edit - jaysus. things, things ,things all over the place. my english is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yeah have to agree that IT have faff all stock. But its generally open when I'm passing after work and you can actually get to the counter unlike Peats. I've never ordered anything from them and I won't be now. I found Komplett to be prettys bad about delivering on time, and stuff thats in stock has a habit of being out of stock once you order it. I'm constantly amazed how fast you can get stuff from the UK or the US, often a couple of days it all takes. Whereas Irish sites, or Komplett can take weeks.

I would also tend to buy critical items in somewhere that I can walk back into and demand service if need be. If an item is a only a bit more expensive then I might buy it in Peats. But generally its a lot more expensive and my wallet runs screaming from the shop. So heres a hint. Reduce the prices to just merely expensive rather than eye watering and you might get more people in there.

But that said they are always busy so I'm sure they could care less about me creaking open my wallet in there. More power to them, they seem to go from strength to strength. But people should know that they can get a better deal elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Who cares about Peats. People should shop around, you will save yourself money, hundreds of euros in some cases. For example, and this just happens to be something I was looking at buying this week.

Portable 40gb drive, Peats = 250 ish + VAT at 21% vs PC World = 150ish inc VAT

Of course the way prices are marked in both shops there could be a pricing mistake. Nothing would surprise me less they seem to pack shelves in PC world with a scatter gun, and all prices are marked by Mr Magoo.

Actually on further investigation the PC World staff couldn't give me the same price twice for any of the disks I asked about. So who knows what they actually cost. So back to the web (and the UK) where I can an accurate and fair price. What a bunch of muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

Wow, the number of replies! Anyway, was in there t'other day lookin for a high intensity blue LED.

Goon: "We've none in stock"
    Me: "Any idea when you'll be getting them in?"
    Goon: "Um, I'm not to sure, two weeks?" <turns to Goon Eile> "Goon Eile, when are we gettin those blue leds back in?"
    Goon Eile screws up face, looks up at ceiling and makes 'thinking' noises.
    Two full minutes later Goon Eile pulls a number out of his arse and says "2-3 weeks maybe?"
    They do know there's a place just like theirs round the corner, right?

Idiots, except the guy with glasses and beard - he was always really helpful. Haven't seen him there in ages.

It is what it's.

Advertisement