Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So just to get it all panned out...

• 20-01-2004 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

The IOL cap is 8 gigabytes DOWNLOAD per month and not combined?

True or false?

Cheers...

;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Its 8 GB either way whichever first breaks 8GB gets you kicked off, it's just more likely that it will be the D/L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

My understanding of it is a transfer limit (ie. combined).

FAQ says "free transfer of up to 8 Gigabytes of data in any given month" which I'm taking to still be 8Gb transfer as was before.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

FFS!!!! This question is asked 3 or 4 times a week!

The webpage that allows you to check how much you're downloaded indicates that it's an 8G download limit. If anyone ever manages to upload 8G without downloading that much, then we'll find out if there's a limit on uploads.

Mods, please lock this (and any other IOL download limit) thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not make a sticky regarding what are the limits of these caps for each provider?
    or elaberate on the existing sticky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

God I hate this cap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

/me hugs UTV's non-functioning download monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm eircoms isn't working either does that give us as much download as we want?

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    hmm eircoms isn't working either does that give us as much download as we want?
    Do you get free phonecalls if they don't tell you how much you owe until after the end of the month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The webpage that allows you to check how much you're downloaded indicates that it's an 8G download limit. If anyone ever manages to upload 8G without downloading that much, then we'll find out if there's a limit on uploads.

Mods, please lock this (and any other IOL download limit) thread.

Wow, who took the jam outta your donut?? ?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ripwave

The webpage that allows you to check how much you're downloaded indicates that it's an 8G download limit.

That webpage is useless unless you sign up first Ripwave.......emmmm how did you see it if you are an IBB customer ?

In the meantime the FAQ mentions "transfer" when other carriers say "download" . ESAT are being unhelpful and myopic in this respect because they would have a lot more customers if they simply clarified what transfer means.......DOWNLOAD it seems in the common parlance.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Do you get free phonecalls if they don't tell you how much you owe until after the end of the month?

yes, yes i do

Originally posted by Muck
    That webpage is useless unless you sign up first Ripwave.......emmmm how did you see it if you are an IBB customer ?
    Because at least two people have posted screenshots of the page recently - here and here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The reason why I think IOL use the phrase "data transfer", is so they cover themselves on uploads. Some users could if they want upload unlimited amounts of data using Eircom and UTV. IOL have used "data transfer" to prevent this. So IOL is either 8 gigs up or 8 gigs down whichever gets there first it is NOT combined. Those with Eircom and UTV feel free to upload all you like. In reality I can't see most users uploading 8 gigs in a month so realistically just the 8 gigs down comes into effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Correct me If I am wrong, If i set up an ftp site and allow people download from me then my upload could easily go very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

It's probably best to stay away from any ISP, which has no traffic cap.

All the Heavy users/Streamers will be concentrated on it and with contention ratios like 48:1 you can forget about any kind of speed above 64 - 120Kbit/s once we start to get heavy subscriber loading.

ISDN with guaranteed 64/128 Kbit/s might start to look good against these networks !

Advertisement