Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone give away 300 webtexts...oh wait, no they don't!

• 20-01-2004 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

I was delighted to see last week that Vodafone had changed their measly allowance of 30 free webtexts to ONLY other Vodafone users to 300 free webtexts per month to all Irish networks! Great, and I was just texting away happily over the web (though it was painfully slow yesterday - so bad that my browser kept timing out, so I had to log back in).

Anyway today I logged in again, and sent a few more messages, and had about 260 webtexts yet - or so I thought. Anyway I came back after lunch and tried to send another message but got the error below:

"Thank you for benefiting from our 300 FREE webtext messages.

Unfortunately your message could not be sent as you have used your allocation for this 30 day period."

Now hang on for a minute - I should have 260 messages left until the 7th of February. So looking around the website to see what might have happened - clicking on "messaging" I see that the limit has mysteriously changed again to 30 webtexts. So have Vodafone done a u-turn? No, not at all, on the main homepage it says proudly "Webtext - now offers 300 FREE messages!"

To top it off there is no online help on the website, so tough **** for the consumer.

Life better with Vodafone - I don't think so, I'll be going back to O2 now that there's number portability as soon as I can afford a new phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i't was working for me 10 mins ago, but now its giving your error and i have 285 messages left, they might be working on the site,(it needs it, site is terribaly slow sometimes)

as for switching to o2 i dont se why you have to buy a new phone to change over? you should ask in an o2 shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I must have sent 30 texts yest and had no probs, sent more today, and my counter is as it should be, haven't sent one this afternoon though, so maybe the site is having issues. O2 used be the same for that. I find it amusing that communication companies can't sort their websites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

I was just talking to vodafone about that problem, and they're just having a delay updating the text quotas or something. To be honest, I think they have a great service, their coverage is really reliable and I honestly don't think there's much difference between o2 and vodafone.

Mukki's right, you don't need to buy a new phone to switch networks. You should be able to get your phone unlocked if its locked, either by asking Vodafone or finding someone who knows how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

... and if you wanna unlock the phone, check this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1336154#post1336154

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I found O2 had better reception but that was a few years ago.

I found O2 better for all but one thing - the rates to ring vodafone/meteor mobiles is very high. In fairness that was when I was on a contract mobile, so i'm not sure how the prepaid rates compare - they seem to have improved a lot and the 7.5c text rate is what is attracting me.

Meteor was good also (i was with them briefly but lost the phone/sim card) - the cheap rate to the UK was very good indeed.

My main problem with vodafone is the cost of upgrading a handset - it seems to be considerably more expensive than O2 or even to simply switch to meteor. Thats a big reason why I'm thinking of changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The problems with the webtext have been resolved. It was just a temporary thing. Admitedly the site has been very slow lately, but it has been very fast all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

2mins 20 secs from hitting return on homepage to getting a txt box open. I'm on HEANET, how are you today?

Advertisement