Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Modems

Options
  • 17-04-2000 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Does anyone have any clue on when NTL/Cablelink are going to provide them to the public, and how fast they are?

From what I've seen on UK servers, 4 to 15 ping sounds very yummy.

<< Arf Arf >>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm sure it will be rushed in now since you have shown an interest smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Should be in June from Cablelink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Lol - Gerry
    "Whoopsy-doddle"

<< Arf Arf >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The ping depends on the quality of the network, and this being Ireland you can bet it will still be terrible by then. 10 pings are rather unlikely, the lowest you will see from cable is about 30, though dont be surprised if it is closer to 40-50, although they may surprise us

===>My New Site<===

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

50 ping would do me fine.

After UL I have decided to take the Ser view of gaming and refuse to play as a hpb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

With the state of Eircom network, I fear that Osi might be right, but, since its on a totally new fibre optic backbone, It has a small chance of being wery wery l33t.

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

June, is that a confirmed?
    I was considering getting an ISDN line, but if cable's out in june i think i'll wait for it.

clanludo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I would not hold you breath waiting for cable cablelink have been going on about bring in cable for the last year or 2, they were saying that they would have it out last August, most of the talk was and still is hype, the main problem is that the last owners were Fast and efficient RTE and Eircom, who for some unknown reason did not like the idea spending money on a company they know that they would have to sell to free up the market, so they did not spend money on setting up high speed network so there rival company’s could come in buy it and start selling people cheep telephone calls 200 channel TV, which means parts of the cablelink network is over 20 years old.
    Don’t you love semi-state bodys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

a fibre optic backbone you say?
    whoa will wonders ever cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I was talking to TellyTubby last night, and he was using the Calbe connection in malahide. The problem is that it is routed through the UK. Anyway he gets about 50-70 pings to UK servers, and last night he had an 80 ping to Vishnu, though that was a good day, usually he said it is about 150-200!!

===>My New Site<===

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

In other words... it still won't beat ISDN on anything but cost, for a gamer.

Hmmm. ISDN for games and cable for general net stuff would be sweet, though.

*ponder

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

isdn, why do eircom insist on giving you (and making you pay for) 2 phone lines?
    i would get isdn if they didnt make you buy the 2nd phone line, totally pointless, do they think that people are too stupid to rent a second line without help if they want it? its not like they're giving it free or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

The second line is great for downloading large files, you can easily download stuff at 14k/sec+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Basic rate ISDN is two 64k lines. That's what ISDN *is*. They're not forcing you to get a second line, but ISDN is a system with two or more channels. There is nowhere in the world where you can get single-channel ISDN.

Most people rather like the ability to be online and make voice calls simultaneously, or to bond both channels to a 128k dialup.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

"(ISDN) A set of communications standards allowing a single wire or optical fibre to carry voice, digital network services and video"

notice the "single wire" bit

in fact, most people only use 64k at a time, so theyre only using single isdn.
    its the reason youre billed for using 2 lines if you use the full 128k, because you are using two separate ISDN channels.. sortof like "multilinking" two modems to get more bandwidth.
    http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?Integrated%20Services%20Digital%20Network

is where i took the quote from

is there any physical reason why you cant have a "single" isdn instead of the standard "dual" isdn?

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 19-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bah, who cares, ISDN is smelly.
    We want cable. smile.gif

Advertisement