Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there such thing as.....

• 20-01-2004 5:18pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

.....a wireless internet access point? ie. a device you can plug into either your phone line on a dialup connection or DSL that can then dialup/connect to the internet without the use of a PC and send the connection wirelessly to your Laptop/PC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

this the sort of thing you're thinking of?

dont know if you can get one for dialup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

thinking more of one for dialup so you can wirelessly connect to the internet using your laptop without the need for a AP on your PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you have a desktop PC you can set up ICS (Internet Connection Sgaring) on it and with a wifi card in the desktop and one in the laptop you're set.

other than that, no probably not.

you could also do it with 2x bluetooth dongles, but it wuld be down to personal preference really as to which you would prefer. dial up speeds are not fast enough for it to make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

are you looking for an wireless router with a 56k modem built in? If so the Apple Airport has one, they're not cheap though. I'm sure there are other more reasonably priced units around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm considering something similar myself.

Try this:
    http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C888-US
    (or something similar)

and a wireless acces point. Should do the trick I'd think. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

at them moment I have my PC upstairs connected to the internet and my laptop connected wirelessly through an Ad Hoc connection so I can access the internet. I am selling the PC though and want to still be able to access the internet wirelessly throught some sort of wireless access point that doesn't need a PC but can still dial up, if you know what I mean. All the options you mention seem to require a PC connected to the AP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LFCFan, if you click on the link I gave above, and then click 'other places to buy' you can find a list of Irish retailers (Only works in IE for some reason).

That router will do everything you need it to (although dialling out will be a little more convoluted), just attach a Wireless Access point for wireless 56K. I'm now very seriously considering this if Dial up seems to be my long term future :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

All the options you mention seem to require a PC connected to the AP.

The airport does not need to be connected to the pc to dial out, nor as seamus said does the 3com device, however after looking for it on elara you might be slightly disuaded from going down the 3com route:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECS07000&productID=38143

€336!!

All the OfficeConnect devices seem to have inflated prices as they're aimed at businesses that tend to have the capacity to throw a lot more money around!!

So, considering the cost of the 3com, getting an Apple Airport would not be so expensive. Check ebay for the 11b version, or buy new for the 11g. There is a java config client for win/linux available, though you'll need to do some digging in its documentation before you buy anything, as the first airport model (11b-graphite) is not as well supported as the newer model (11b-snow/11g-extreem).

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Advertisement