Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Match tickets - Catch!

• 20-01-2004 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

If you are buying tickets for any of Irelands 3 matches at Lansdowne (Brazil, Czech Republic or Romania), you must buy a ticket for all three matches.

The prices for the 3 tickets range from €60 for terraces and €120 for the best stand tickets. I wanted to go to the Brazil match but I couldn't be arsed paying €75 - 120 for a ticket to eack of the 3 matches. I knew Rooney had a catch in getting Brazil. The Czech match wouldn't be bad but bloody Romania. :mad:

http://www.fai.ie/FAI/Fans/tickets.htm

BTW - Fran Rooney will be on Off the Ball on News Talk 106 tonight at 7.00.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I reckon thats a fair enuff price, and hardly a shocking ploy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by uberwolf
    I reckon thats a fair enuff price, and hardly a shocking ploy.
    go to see Brazil and your stuck with a bloody Romania ticket.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

And here's me thinking it's Ireland that you go to see at these matches.... *Sheesh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by syke
    And here's me thinking it's Ireland that you go to see at these matches.... *Sheesh*

Good point. But in all fairness who wants to see Gary Doherty when you can see Ronaldo. Once in a lifetime kinda thing.

Tickets go on sale On thursday At 9

• Advertisement

There was about 20,000 at the Canada match, there will probably be double that at the Brazil match. The fans prefer to see how Ireland can play against the big teams rather than walk by the Canadian's. How many people were delighted to see that the FAI arranged a match against Brazil.
    Mutu plays for Romania!
    I take your point but I want to watch Ireland -v- Brazil at Lansdwone and I will have no problem watching the other two matches on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Originally posted by smiaras
    Mutu plays for Romania!

I wouldnt go to see just one player .
    Id rather just go to see the brazil match Should be good but cant see ireland winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

great idea i think, personally, it stops half of ireland comming out to see brazil and benefits the real soccer fans. all the regular fans would go to the three anyway so whats the problem? the only negative thing is paying all upfront. in other words, stops the bandwagon fans.

Originally posted by smemon
    great idea i think, personally, it stops half of ireland comming out to see brazil and benefits the real soccer fans. all the regular fans would go to the three anyway so whats the problem? the only negative thing is paying all upfront. in other words, stops the bandwagon fans.

Well theres a thing, I agree with Smemon.

If this was Iran I'd be thinking its the end of days.........

The thing is I am not a bandwagon fan, I just prefer to watch Ireland play there friendly matches on TV for the simple reason that there is no atmosphere and I can create more atmosphere in my local. This Brazil match will something special in terms of atmosphere and entertainment. I don't support any Premiership teams and I follow the Irish players progress in Ireland and oversea's. You don't have to go to all the Canada and Romania matches to be a real fan.

• Advertisement

the FAI have to be losing money on the brazil game. They have to recoup it somehow, rather thatn charge massive prices for one game and be accused of cashing in, this is a better alternative.

Winners of the last 3 world cups playing in Dublin with in a year or so. Not often you can say that

Originally posted by uberwolf
    the FAI have to be losing money on the brazil game. They have to recoup it somehow
    In fact, they will actually come out with a few hundred grand in profits from the Brazil match alone. It cost €470,000 to arrange the Brazil match and they will make about €800,000-900,000 in gate receipts.

really? there you go.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    The thing is I am not a bandwagon fan, I just prefer to watch Ireland play there friendly matches on TV for the simple reason that there is no atmosphere and I can create more atmosphere in my local. This Brazil match will something special in terms of atmosphere and entertainment. I don't support any Premiership teams and I follow the Irish players progress in Ireland and oversea's. You don't have to go to all the Canada and Romania matches to be a real fan.

Strangely I'd class a non-bandwagon fan as someone who went to see their team no matter what. Its funny how easy it was to get a ticket for an Ireland game for any competition pre-Euro 88 compared to now and it galls me to see the drop off in friendly attendances since Ireland began under-performing again.

Its well and good to give out about the atmosphere at these matches if you actually attend them, but its the people who don't go to see them because they aren't glamour or competitive ties that are the problem. The people who are real fans are the people who actually make the effort. If everyone took that attitude noone would go to games.

Personally I think the FAI have it spot on. I'm not a big fan of the FAI but at least they've not hiked up the ticket prices or ripped of the real fans who will actually go and see all the mathes and support the Irish team. Keep the tourists who want to see BRazil away if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Personally I think the FAI have it spot on. I'm not a big fan of the FAI but at least they've not hiked up the ticket prices or ripped of the real fans who will actually go and see all the mathes and support the Irish team. Keep the tourists who want to see BRazil away if you ask me.

Don't want to worry you syke but I agree with you on that. The FAI could easily have charged much more for the Brazil game but in this instance it looks like they are taking the fans who support the Irish team into consideration.

Thats me agreeing with Syke and praising the FAI in the one thread. I don't beleive it myself. Is it unusually cold out?

The people who are real fans are the people who actually make the effort.

I dont see how you can call people who dont go to the matches not real fans. People like going down to their local because there is a good atmosphere there aswell as going to see Ireland.Some people like staying at home to watch the match . You cant criticise anyone on not being real fans because they dont go to matches.

Originally posted by phenom
    [B You cant criticise anyone on not being real fans because they dont go to matches. [/B]

going down to the pub is an effort of sorts...
    obviuosly the glamour of brazil will attract more punters, but this way teh team gets the support which is the point of teh exercise ultimately

I dont see how you can call people who dont go to the matches not real fans. People like going down to their local because there is a good atmosphere there aswell as going to see Ireland.Some people like staying at home to watch the match . You cant criticise anyone on not being real fans because they dont go to matches.

Erm, isn't the point of a football supporter to support your team. Now how much support are the team, especially the young players in their first start, getting, when the stadium is half empty cos "fans" aren't interested in going to Landsdowne road unless its for big names.

You get commenst like "oh lets see Mutu or Ronaldo" What about Duff or Keane? What about the lads like Miller or Reid? Thats who you should be going to see.

In the UK, most first division clubs in premiership contention have this problem. In the nationwide they don't get full houses but when the Premiership arrives the rush for season tickets is huge. The solution? Only people who hold a season ticket the year before the premiership season can apply for a premiership season ticket. The FAI have adopted a similar stance and I say fair play to them. I'll be quite happy to go to all three mathes. I wonder where all the people who probably cause me to lose out on getting a ticket to the France match will be during thse games.....

Erm, isn't the point of a football supporter to support your team.

yes but the point that i am making is that just because you dont go to see the team doesnt mean you dont support the team. You can support a team from anywhere.

yes but the point that i am making is that just because you dont go to see the team doesnt mean you dont support the team. You can support a team from anywhere.

How is letting them play in a half empty stadium when you have the opportunity to go to the match and cheer them on supporting them?

• Advertisement

We are talking about our national team here and there are many reasons why fans may not be able to attend a match (Geography , Work Commitment etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I heard today that you can get a shoolboy ticket for the three matches for just fiftheen euro's.Thats a bargin if you ask me for such games

We are talking about our national team here and there are many reasons why fans may not be able to attend a match (Geography , Work Commitment etc).

Never a problem for the people who went to Korea, the US or Italy.

Hey, lets agree to differ. I think a real fan will take any chance to se his/herteam in action they can get.

Syke - my head is fuming reading your comments and I don't mean any offence by that as you have a right to believe what you like.

First of all, the FAI didn't make this move for the benefits of the "real fans", it is 1000% business as they want a full house for all three games which they wouldn't get if the tickets were sold seperately.

When Ireland played Holland in 02 I paid €150 for a ticket and went to the match on my own and I am far from a wealthy man. I have only missed 2 competitive home matches since 2000 and that was because I couldn't get tickets. Since 2000 I have also travelled to the away matches in Cyprus, Portugal and a Greece friendly.

There is absolutely no way I would choose to watch that Canada game unless I was with a group of friends to make our own atmosphere but unforunately most my friends wouldn't go to ANY Ireland match. It would have cost over €30 to sit in the stands with one or two mates watching Duff and Co. in a training match against Canada while the rest of my mates spent around the same to sit in a pub with a much better atmosphere and having great craic.

Class me a plastic fan if you wish, I just hope many disagree.

Syke - my head is fuming reading your comments and I don't mean any offence by that as you have a right to believe what you like.

First of all, the FAI didn't make this move for the benefits of the "real fans", it is 1000% business as they want a full house for all three games which they wouldn't get if the tickets were sold seperately.

So what, the point is it benefits the real fans. this is't a crass move by the FAI just to make money. If they wanted to make money they could have cashed in on the full house Brazil match and charged more for the bundle. They know people will pay it to see Brazil, they didn't.

The fact is, like so many times with Ireland, all the rainy day "prawn sandwich" fans will be out to see Brazil and many of the real fans who remember what it was like to queue outside Elvery's at 5am just to see Turkey play in a Euro qualifier (when Turkey were a minnow) can't get a ticket. If this deters them from buying the tickets and ensures the loyal fans get them, great. Its a brilliant thing.
    When Ireland played Holland in 02 I paid €150 for a ticket and went to the match on my own and I am far from a wealthy man. I have only missed 2 competitive home matches since 2000 and that was because I couldn't get tickets. Since 2000 I have also travelled to the away matches in Cyprus, Portugal and a Greece friendly.

Well done, I on the other hand remember seeing every Ireland game from 1984-1992 live before it became impossible to get a ticket unless you had a credit card or block booking facilities. I try to get to every single game and it sickens me that the people who take up supporter tickets for the big matches leave the team in the lurch for some home friendlies. I go to see the team perform, I go to see the young players come through.
    There is absolutely no way I would choose to watch that Canada game unless I was with a group of friends to make our own atmosphere but unforunately most my friends wouldn't go to ANY Ireland match. It would have cost over €30 to sit in the stands with one or two mates watching Duff and Co. in a training match against Canada while the rest of my mates spent around the same to sit in a pub with a much better atmosphere and having great craic.

Class me a plastic fan if you wish, I just hope many disagree.

No, I don't, but by the same virtue I think that the fans who are willing to go to all three matches are better fans than you and deserve the tickets to the Brazil match long before you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think the FAI are doing the right thing here. You'll get people who would have spent money on a ticket off a tout buying tickets for 3 matches here. Ok they may not go to the other matches but at least the FAI makes the money instead of a tout. Add to that the fact that touts may be less inclined to purchase tickets when in this 3 game block then I think it's a good thing.

Another thing to consider is what sort of a side will Brazil put out? If they're missing say Carlos and Ronaldo would it be a sell-out?

Also eirebhoy why will it be a better atmosphere at this match and not others that are sell-outs (even competitive matches)?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

When are they going on sale?

Originally posted by Imposter
    Also eirebhoy why will it be a better atmosphere at this match and not others that are sell-outs (even competitive matches)?
    :confused: I go to all the sellouts I can get a ticket for. I never said there is no atmosphere at competitive matches.
    When are they going on sale?
    tomorrow.

tomorrow.
    Crap. I better get ordering then!

• Advertisement

Syke - taking your assumption that a real fan would take any opportunity to see their team play. Ireland has a population of nearly 4mil, nearly every Irish person is an Ireland supporter but considering age and other factors lets just say there is 2mil Ireland supporters in Ireland.

When Ireland played Canada there was 20,000 fans at the match. You said that a real fan would take any opportunity to see their team, therefore all of the "real fans" would have turned up to the Canada match. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say 10,000 fans couldn't make it for whatever reason. therefore there is only 30,000 "real fans" in Ireland.

2mil/30,000 = 66.67. Therefore, you are saying that 1 in every 66 Ireland supporters and 1 in every 130 of the population are actually real fans? You can't say it was impossible to get tickets because the stadium was only half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Timing - Tickets on sale through Ticketmaster outlets on Thursday morning 5th February, 9am

Contacts - Ticketmaster phoneline 0818719300
    www.ticketmaster.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

The fact is, like so many times with Ireland, all the rainy day "prawn sandwich" fans will be out to see Brazil and many of the real fans who remember what it was like to queue outside Elvery's at 5am just to see Turkey play in a Euro qualifier (when Turkey were a minnow) can't get a ticket. If this deters them from buying the tickets and ensures the loyal fans get them, great. Its a brilliant thing.

exactly, turkey, iran, holland...... thats when you get demand and could fill landsdowne 2/3times over. it'll be the same with brazil, the best team in the world, the biggest stars, biggest names..... the regulars have earned their right to a ticket in my view.

its a privilage to see brazil- v - your own country, i dont like the way people can just walk in somewere and get a ticket for 30 euro when they dont attend the smaller games. this way, everyone at the brazil game is forced to attend all three, and if your an ireland fan you'd be doing that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

are they on sale tomorrow moring or feb 5th....?? i'm hearing different views.

you lot should be happy your getting such a great deal for 3 games!! its great to see the FAI is actually run properly now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

i have mixed views on this ploy by the FAI. i think the 3 match package is unfair on non-dub residents who cannot commit to travelling to all three games and would like to watch only one, or maybe two games

there is usually a large contingent of fans who travel from the north, west and south who will now find themselves considering is it worth paying €60 to go to the Brazil game alone. i would not be surprised if one saw empty spaces on the terraces for the czech/romanian games

for fans from the greater dublin area, who want to go to all 3 games anyway, the package is pretty good value. all three games should be good, czech rep being my bet for euro 2004, and romania top scorers in their qualifying group for euro 2004 (even tho they failed to qualify)

i suppose it's possible to purchase a package ticket and after going to one game, pass it on to a friend who can use it for remaining games ?

Originally posted by VinnyL
    you lot should be happy your getting such a great deal for 3 games!! its great to see the FAI is actually run properly now!
    I don't see how the deal is anything special. The prices are €20 for a terrace ticket to each match and between €25-€40 for a seat. That is no different then any competitive match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

This is a genuine attempt by the FAI to make some cash.Instead of moaning about it just pay up and shut up.I block book my tickets for years and yes I had to pay €37 for crappy friendlys when the weather is bad and opposition is crap and yes it annoys me when peeps can come up and get tickets for 'big' games(I was offered 300 for my ticket for the aforementioned Dutch qualifer).Like so many things in life the good parts are all the sweeter after suffering the dross.

Originally posted by VinnyL
    are they on sale tomorrow moring or feb 5th....?? i'm hearing different views.
    February the 5th alright.

Advertisement