Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re: uml pointers.?

Options
  • 20-01-2004 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

can anyone throw some light on uml for me ?

class diagrams, static dynamic diagrams etc?>

ps: anyone want a sony atrac discman? 100 yo yo

unwanted xmas pressie

cheers
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

don't want to be desperately smart cos I'e come with my bowl out here often enuff,

but unless you've a specific Q, google returns 72,300 results for the terms UML tutorial

also
    and
    from previous threads may be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

UML is used during the analysis and design stage of the software development life cycle. It is closely related to Object Oriented programming languages such as Smalltalk or Java. The theory is if you spend 80% of the time in the analysis and design stage and only 20% in the coding stage your software will be all the better for it. UML is a standardized way of laying out a software system. If you were to dive straight into programming an application chances are you would never finish it or if you did the code would be a mess making updates near impossible. (I am talking about industry apps not some personal program). UML uses a series of diagrams to represent the system. Class diagrams are the most important of these. Classes are an abstraction of the entities within a system. A class diagram represents classes as boxes. These boxes contain a list of all the operations and attributes associated with that class. An example might be a bank system. One class would be an account. The name of the class would be account. Some attributes would be availableFunds and accountNumber. An operation would be withdrawCash. The boxes are linked together showing the relationships between the classes. Once a class diagram is drawn up it is easy to map it into an Object Oriented programming language. There are even packages for drawing the diagrams which will then create the code for you. There is obviously a lot more to UML than this so I suggest you search Google if you want to find out more. There is an abundance of material on the net for the beginner up.

John.

Advertisement