Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Pro OEM

Options
  • 20-01-2004 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for cheapest Windows XP Pro cd/license.

Do they sell in bulk, where can i buy. I need around 2-3 licences initially. Whats the best deal, i see komplett dont sell it anymore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

www.dabs.com or www.ebuyer.com both sell licences afaik.

best bet would be to get something like computer shopper off the rack at your newsagent and have a look see in there. there's loads of places advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sorry to be picky mate, but your reply was less than helpful :(

Looking for OEM win xp pro(as title suggests)

Cheapest im getting is :

Jaguar - 135 ex vat(you have to buy h/w with it tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Disclaimer: This probably isn't helpful either...

If you've an account with ccity.ie you can get them for 134 ex vat/delivery/cc charge. As I said you need to have an account, so you need to be "in the business" sort of to get one - sounds like you are, but I could be wrong.

Otherwise ITDirect.ie never gave me any probs when I was stuck and needed OEM software - i.e. they never asked tho' it was legit. However XP Pro there is currently listed at 147 ex vat.

HTH

D.

yeah i`ve tried with ccity before, no real advantage to them seeing as better quality components can be bought online with the likes of komplett, plus they appear to be a shower of arrgant bastards(best, greg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Sorry to be picky mate, but your reply was less than helpful

MENTAL NOTE.... never reply to bazH questions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by bazH
    Sorry to be picky mate, but your reply was less than helpful :(

Looking for OEM win xp pro(as title suggests)

Cheapest im getting is :

Jaguar - 135 ex vat(you have to buy h/w with it tho)

OEM - as in the kind that can only be sold to end users with motherboards ??

AFAIK Microsoft only do volume discounts on Licencing products.

Sorry to keep bringing it up but Windows is bloody expensive unless you do something illegal like break the licesncing conditions - when you buy an OEM you have to throw it out when the PC gets scrapped or upgrade so you end up paying them either way..

Its for work, i was looking to going *nix but our software vendor just changed our main app from Unix to windows environment :(

Building some new pc`s, hence the licences.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ouch - hate that.. We're locked into IE / Access by a similar crowd of developers ( /me shakes fist ineffectualy) - by the time we added in the server and network client licenses Microsoft got more paid more than the cost of the servers and PC's all because the app was developed according to the "One microsoft way"...

Yeah you can use Citrix / Terminal server - but you still have to pay a per client license for each app you use on the server. And if you are using TS on windows 2003 you may or may not need to buy a license depending soley on WHEN you purchased your copy of XP Pro..

Time to start looking up sysprep ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by bazH
    yeah i`ve tried with ccity before, no real advantage to them seeing as better quality components can be bought online with the likes of komplett, plus they appear to be a shower of arrgant bastards(best, greg)
    Spammers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Spammers too.

... and I got one of the free CDs of Greg's musical ramblings - oh its woeful.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement