Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish network infrastructure resources?

Options
  • 20-01-2004 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi, Ive just spent a few hours on my crappy 16800 bps quad divided eircon last century tech dial-up looking for maps of ireland with internet networks marked on them.Anyway ive searched the boards as well and cant seem to find anything, so im hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.What Im trying to find out is what lines are currently in place, and how much bandwidth they carry nationaly and more specificly from galway to clifden.Also if you could post a few links for sites that provide info on the irish network infrastructure, it would be much appreaciated.

Also maps of heanet and pulsenet would be cool as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Your answers

1. www.infrastructure.ie with its gimpy java applet
    2. none . €ircon have a publicly funded and totally unused/unlit fibre from Galway to Maam that they wont let anyone use....not even if you pay them apparently . If you did pay them it would cost 100's of 1000's per annum, Galway-Maam alone.
    3. The Galway-Dublin corridor is rotten with fibre... ESB and Western Digital Corridor and Aurora(Gas) + ESAT and €ircon

The easiest and cheapest to access is ESB as far as about Sean Mulvoy Rd .

HTH

M

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

don't know much about your other questions but heanet have a "map" on their network page http://www.hea.net/.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by Acous
    don't know much about your other questions but heanet have a "map" on their network page http://www.hea.net/.
    HEANet lease their lines from various commercial sources so it would be probably better to try and find them first as a better guide. This all depends on how willing Eircom, Esat et al are to talk about this sort of thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

First of all while I can still control myself Thanks for the replys.

/Rant

I never thought in my worst dreams it was this bad!!!!, Infrastructure.ie dosnt even name galway city, never mind clifden.Secondly what Muck said bout eircon controling the line out sounds worse.I thought that line went as far as clifden, not maam.dunno, maybe Ill just get a shovel and some goddam fiber myself.

/rant

Muck do you know who asked €ircon for use of the line?

Also anyone know if theres any lond distance(70 miles) wireless kit these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

also any info on telecomm masts?

cheers

/aj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ajnag
    First of all while I can still control myself Thanks for the replys.
    /Rant
    I never thought in my worst dreams it was this bad!!!!, Infrastructure.ie dosnt even name galway city, never mind clifden.Secondly what Muck said bout eircon controling the line out sounds worse.I thought that line went as far as clifden, not maam.dunno, maybe Ill just get a shovel and some goddam fiber myself.
    /rant
    Quite :D
    Muck do you know who asked €ircon for use of the line?
    No it may have been on the southern (Spiddal) portion of the Eircom east connemara ring as well
    Also anyone know if theres any lond distance(70 miles) wireless kit these days? [/B]
    Pushin it, theres hills around Oughterard blockin LOS anyway . 5.8Ghz kit is reputedly the best if you need a narrow beam (fresnel zone, learn!)

Most non €ircon masts in west Galway belong to Cell com , they are reputedly difficult to deal with. The ESB will have a mast in Screeb shortly with 155Mbit backhaul to Dublin so you coud 5.8Ghz it from there in one hop if lucky. (where is 70Miles from Galway anyway? Inisbofin or something?)

Cell com tower map is Here ,
    username a
    password a

PM me if u want, there may be another route in the offing .

M

Advertisement