Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does 52X CD-RW only import Audio CD'sat 10X

• 20-01-2004 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Folks,
    I recently bought an LG GCE-8520B, it has a read spead of up to 52x. With this in mind why does it only read audio at 10X.

Thanks for the help.
    Gavin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I assume you mean ripping CD's to your harddrive...
    If that's the case, it's not really a matter of how fast your CD drive is, but how fast the rest of your system can on-the-fly encode the audio to your chosen format.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is it possible it's a limitation of the media you are recording from?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

I`m importing original audio CD to the HD for use later on an iPod. My CPu is a P4 1.4Ghz with 394RDRAM.

Thanks
    Gavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's the Digital Audio Extraction Speed (DAE for short), and often differs from the cd-rom's raw speed. In your case it seems to be 10x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You shouldn't be complaining that it's "slow".
    If it ran at 52x the chances of getting bad-quality rips would be a fair bit higher.
    You *could* just rip ito to a .iso/.bin and extract from that after mounting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

In my opinion the best music ripping software is Exact Audio Copy (www.exactaudiocopy.de)

This software reads each sector of the disc twice, and compares the results, if the results are not identical, then it re-reads that sector 16 more times, and then gets the best answer from those 16 rereads, if it still can't get a good read, it will repeat the re-reads another 4 times.

This however reduces the speed of ripping considarably. Whereas i can rip at up to 24x on my 52x drive, when i use Secure mode (the one that does the reading twice) it slows to about 8x ish.

I'm quite happy with this, as i know that even on the scratched cd's, i can still get a perfect, skip free copy (most of the time).

Advertisement