Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great gaming intros

Options
  • 20-01-2004 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

In response to the crappy game endings thread, I was wondering what people would consider to be the best gaming openings? For me theres a few really memorable starts:

FFVII (blowing up the reactor)
    Vagrant story (breaking into the mansion and fighting Sydney)
    Halo (Covenant assault on the pillar of autumn)
    Metal gear solid (swimming into the base)

Probably a shedload more i forget at this time..

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I can tell you what the most annoying intros are, seeing as a previous thread reminded me of them. The Command & Conquer opening scenes which you could not bypass, no amount of ESC hammering, spacebaring or entering would get you past them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vagrant Story wins best intro ever for me. It was great that bits of it were interactive.

Suikoden 2 had a great opening sequence and credit sequence at the beginning of the game. Fantastic music as well. Everytime I watch it it brings a tear to my eye considering the events that happened during the game.

FFVII: fantastic opening. When I say it first my mouth hit the ground. The CG looks crap today but its still fantastic.

FFVIII: Unfortunately it was the best thing about the game.

FFVI: just for the wonderful music

The first few hours of Xenosaga were pure mayhem. Had some of the best action scenes I have ever seen.

Half life had a great intro, day at the office turning into out and out interdimensional war.

Can't think of anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the FF XI opening is good also, i also like the c and c RA opening about going back in time and killing hitler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

super metroid - the calm before the storm :) (oh yes, and mode 7 rotating corridors :eek: )
    MGS - same as the poster above
    Half-Life - shame the train ride had to be so goddamned long...
    Max Payne 2 - the presentation is just so slick!
    GTAIII - burning through liberty city in proper 3d for the first time:eek: jubberly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I loved the intro to DungeonKeeper 2. Pretty flash, I must say.

Oni's intro was cute.

But my favourite is Baldur's Gate. Sarevok just captivated me. Now there was one evil bast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

HL: Blueshift Intro > HL Intro..

more to see, not as long :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i like watching them back to back, to see the ways the games intertwine, blue shift had some funny bits in its opening, that said i think opposing force's intro was better than either of them, the video clip at the start of MOHAA is pretty cool, ditto with battlefield, cant think of anything else at the moment that really stands out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Interstate 76 had a good one, battlefield 1942 aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Monkey Island ... well all 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Return to castle wolfenstien, Need for Speed underground, the half life one was brilliant very innovative (and i hate half life so thats a compliment) i like the Q3 opening aswell. im sure i will remember more :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i like the intro sequence to bf1942, really builds the multiplayer up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

FFVII
    GTA3
    And well, it was only CG, but the intro to the first Gran Turismo was fúcking glorious at the time! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Always loved both Fallout intros. Great atmosphere setting narratives.

Mechwarrior 4 intro was pretty cool "Ill hold them here for as long as I can"...........brave man :)

Freespace 1 intro was nice. Got the game off with a bit of tension.

oh and Starcraft: Broodwar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I enjoyed the CnC intro`s
    Star Trek starfllet command volume 2 introl was good
    KKND Xtreme had a good introl aswell

hmm cant think of any others at the mo

oh ye as above mechwarrior was good aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Actually a cool intor that really isnt all that stunning at all...the original street fighter 2 intro :) With the two guys about to punch each other out..and then BAM! *hums* dun dun, dun dun da dadada!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Homeworld 2.

Pity the rest of the game is so bad:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

In no particular order:

Half-Life
    Fallout 1/2
    Baldurs Gate 1
    StarWars: Galaxies (I'm sorry, it has to be said - the opening credits just give you that goosebumps feeling you got as a kid)
    I always liked the intro to Quake 2 for some reason .... :confused:

Oh, and the opening to Games Workshop's 'Epic 40,000: Final Liberation'. Mmmm ... nyom. Just _feels_ like the dark, oppresive, doom & gloom 41st millenium that we all know and love :D

Can't remember any others that jump out in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Armada 1 and Star Trek StarFleet command 3 both had good intro`s

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I loved the intro to "Syndicate Wars". Hilarious! Everything going to hell. How I laughed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Battlefield 1942 [and also Secret Weapons[ have fantastic intro's. All very cinematic and made your mouth water as you watched. And that sub gets away in the end :)

I am hoping the intro to Battlefield: Vietnam [in March] will be as good if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I always loved the intro to Full Throttle .... looking out the back window of Malcolm Corleys limo, you see a dustcloud in the distance, guitars get louder and louder and that great Gone Jackals riff kicks in.... brilliant stuff.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i think the intros to the GC version of Resident Evil and also Resident Evil 0 are pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Fionnan

Hidden and Dangerous2-a great intro,
    MEdieval Totalwar great.
    Shogun intro was goog enuf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i remember first buying pro evoloution soccer 2 and when the intro came on getting all excited (i had bought it on first day of release), the "we will rock you" and the scenes, fantastic :)

the lord of the rings games (two towers and return of the king where it shows you the big massive battles about to commence, the build up and then throwing you right into the heat of them)

half life

GTA3 as someone mentioned before

the very first resident evil

splinter cell

probably alot more i cant think of, but what you expect its only 10am and my mind dosent function properly till after lunch :p (plus my memory is crap... :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I've always liked the Super Street Fighter 2 intro, building up that fireball.... then *BOK* fade to white.
    Lively, simple and to the point... just like the Sonic 2 intro.
    Metal gear solid 2 had a cool intro aswell, often times I'd be walking down past the Liffey, and I'd just get the urge to start running and swan-dive over the side on to a shopping trolly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

no one has mentioned warcraft 3. the fmv's were fantastic in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

homeworld, homeworld 2, loved their presentation
    half life
    wind waker
    resident evil, original and cube for that matter
    red alert 2
    fallout and fallout 2
    wild arms 3
    ico, everything about this game is just brilliant

my favourite is definitely soul blade, brilliantly presented with one of the best songs to grace any game......tekken, feh :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Splinter Cell anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The System Shock intro. CG is terrible now but Shodans voice still freaks me out. It's also the only part of the game I've seen since it is the only part that works on XP and I'm too lazy to make a win 98 partition.

Advertisement