Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great gaming intros

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

The Wipeout intros were very stylish
    Gran Turismo 1 had class music.
    Halo, with all the people blowing up around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by shurl
    Splinter Cell anyone?

yes should have put this into my list aswell.. good stuff for pointing that out

Red ALert 2.

Generals, I thought, could have been an excellent intro if they expanded on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

actually thinking about it more, i think the intro to RE Nemesis is the best i can remember, just seeing the cops get destroyed by all dem zombies, way cool

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Love the Wind Waker intro, its very simple but cool and i LOVE the music.
    The SSBM intro is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

actually, now that i think about i'd go with system shock. Shodan's voice in the intro is really bloody freaky. brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by utility_
    Red ALert 2.

Generals, I thought, could have been an excellent intro if they expanded on it.

I am fond of the Ra2 intro but it is very unpopular by the masses because there is no way to skip it if you have just re-installed the game (many ods dont come with uninstalls so re-instaling the whole game is often necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mgs 2: sol
    How can u not love the choir bit at the end? So epic i wanted to stand and salute.

FF8
    The sword fighting, the flying over the fields.....it all set the tone perfectly. I really liked this game, apart from the whole time compression thing which was a bit vague.

The intro to return of te king is pretty good. I like how it drops u straight from movie and cuts directly into the game without a pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Half-Life
    FF VII
    Hidden and Dangerous 2
    Max Payne 1 & 2

Dominion wars had a nice long intro, full of action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dunno if it was mentioned before (cba reading back), but Elite II: Frontier and Frontier: First Encounters had great and good intros respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have to say I'm very impressed with FFXI intro. Reminds me of the attack on Helm's Deep in LOTR.

I love seeing those little mages cast their spells in the intro.

There is some streaming footage here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

The intro to X-Com: Terror of the Deep. Very short, but totally captured the feel of the game, I felt anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Half-Life

I got the game a month before it was released because it was bundled with my shiny new Voodoo Banshee card. Put it in my ulta-powerful PII 233 with a whopping 64mb of RAM.

Loaded up the game, and it looked and felt like you were there. There were real people and pretty graphics and proper lighting, and Q2's brown graphics were put to shame.

Compared to anything that went before, it was mindblowing.

Good morning and welcome to the Black Mesa Transit System. This automated train is provided for the security and convenience of employees of the Black Mesa Research Facility personnel. Please feel free to move about the train or simply sit back and enjoy the ride.

The time is 8:47 AM. Current topside temperature is 93 degrees, with an estimated high of one hundred and five. The Black Mesa compound is maintained at a pleasant 68 degrees at all times.

This train is inbound from Level 3 dormitories to Sector C Test Labs and Control Facilities. If your intended destination is a high-security area beyond Sector C, you will need to return to the Central Transit hub in Area 9 and board a high-security train. If you have not yet submitted your identity to the retinal clearance system, you must report to Black Mesa Personnel for processing before you will be permitted into the high-security branch of the transit system.

Due to the high toxicity of material routinely handled in the Black Mesa compound, no smoking, eating, or drinking are permitted within the Black Mesa Transit System.

Please keep your limbs inside the train at all times. Do not attempt to open the doors until the train has come to a complete halt at the station platform. In the event of an emergency, passengers are to remain seated and await further instruction. If it is necessary to exit the train, disabled personnel should be evacuated first. Please stay away from electrified rails, and proceed to an emergency station until assistance arrives.

A reminder that the Black Mesa Hazard Course decathlon will commence this evening at nineteen hundred hours in the Level 3 facility. The semifinals for high-security personnel will be announced in a separate Secure Access transmission. Remember, more lives than your own may depend on your fitness.

Do you have a friend or relative who would make a valuable addition to the Black Mesa team? Immediate openings are available in the areas of Materials Handling and Low-Clearance Security. Please contact Black Mesa Personnel for further information. If you have an associate with a background in the areas of theoretical physics, biotechnology or other high-tech disciplines, please contact our Civilian Recruitment Division. The Black Mesa Research Facility is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

A reminder to all Black Mesa personnel: Regular radiation and biohazard screenings are a requirement of continued employment in the Black Mesa Research Facility. Missing a scheduled urinalysis or radiation check-up is grounds for immediate termination. If you feel you have been exposed to radioactive or other hazardous materials in the course of your duties, contact your Radiation Safety Officer immediately. Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it.

Now arriving at Sector C Test Labs and Control Facilities.

The HL intro is good but when you are completing HL for like the 6th time it will drive you insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by User45701
    The HL intro is good but when you are completing HL for like the 6th time it will drive you insane
    Don't like the intro...?
    Open up the console and type:
    /map c0a0
    If I recall correctly, that will load up the gantry area where the tram stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

chess "please choose black or white" legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

one of my favorites has always been the video intro to Age of Empires...pure classic

Originally posted by regeneration
    Don't like the intro...?
    Open up the console and type:
    /map c0a0
    If I recall correctly, that will load up the gantry area where the tram stops.

Yep i only discoverd that a year or 2 ago when i was completing HL again, but thanx anyway cause i had forgotten it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Freespace one and two-at the time those battles looked utterly epic.
    The Homeworld games intros are immaculatly presented.
    Max Payne 1&2 also very slick.

My all time favourite is the intro for Baldurs Gate-Sarevok is just to damned cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Quake 2 (this amazing intro looks alot better on software mode for some reason)
    Half-Life
    Starfox (snes)
    Max Payne 2
    Unreal (the castle slowly rotating around and around, amazing at the time)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ohh I just remembered: Shadow of the Beast 2! C'mon, someone here must remember the Amiga Screen Gems pack? The ad on TV? That was so awesome [at the time] and took my breath away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

anything by Blizzard....

Klingon Academy....

Colony Wars and Colony Wars Vengence...

G-Police...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I loved shadow of the beast..but i could never defeat the last boss :(

Project zero had a great into..really creepy..and the black and white section really set a nice tone of unimaginable terror for the rest of the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"Paris in the fall, the last months of the year and the end of the millenium.

The city holds many memories for me, of cafés, of music, of love...and of death."

Broken Sword intro.

Don't blame me for draging up and old topic, blame weemcd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Ooh there's so many!

GTA3
    Quake 2
    Resident Evil 1-4(I mean Code Veronica...just in case anybody missed that)
    Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
    Fighting Vipers
    Last Bronx
    FFVll & Vlll
    Silent Hill
    Zone Of The Enders
    Enemy Zero (I know it's pretty much a carbon copy of Alien, but I still love it!)
    Syndicate Wars...loved how they did it!
    Max Payne
    Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain...his voice just creeped the crap outta me!
    Dungeon Keeper was a bit on the funny side I thought

Advertisement