Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team3.ie

Options
  • 19-04-2000 12:28am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, that got your attention.

We have the possibility of playing in a pan-european league but it would be online.

I cant have a lot to do with this but since its online I wont HAVE to have a lot to do with it.

We need LPBs to play in UK. That doesnt mean we only pick LPBs but it means they need to be able to regularly get to an lpb connection. Especially for the games.

I have watched a few of the games and I've seen Koopa and Nicky do well. As others have pointed out there are a few others who could then be included. Ser, Jedi etc

There are some caveats. I wont work with ********s. I cant work with underage players. Luckily this doesnt restrict our range too much.

As before with Team.ie this is a friendly dictatorship because anything else just doesnt work. If enough people really dont want me involved, I'll bow out gracefully.

I havent been elected so feel free to elect someone else, and I have no clan in q3 which makes me impartial I guess.

Now heres the tough bit. We need a squad. We need to practise. We will have to play in BW against UK, Scotland and Wales. This is not good. We will be outpinged.

Should we play? I think so, but I dunno.
    What are the best pings we can get to BW?
    Can people commit to 2 games a month + training?

Discussion?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Maybe if the whole team was dublin based I'm sure it would be an easy enuf thing to get all the lads on a fast connection for games.. ?

[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 19-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I'd like to trial for team3.ie. I usually ping well to Barrysworld and am on isdn. I play in UK leagues and am well used of playing 4K, DC, UNR etc.. , fully versed in team dm and all the rest.
    Good idea Devore, something like this should be followed up and someone elected to take charge of it.
    I suggest prehaps a panel of 10 players should be chosen by a someone like yourself, and from that a strong team worked, trained and trialed.
    Give everyone a chance to trial for the team, not just a l33t PS/Se7en combination with the odd DK, H player etc where you have to be in this special happy gang club and have played QW etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

someone elected to take charge of it.

c'mon now, you think anyone else would be even considered if DeVore offered ? and if so shame! because on past records we all know DeV is a damn damn fine manager, who donates a hell of alot of time, effort and even cash for the team. (some ppl call him stupid for pumping his own cash into the team and i have to agree!)

So i rekon if DeV offers, only a very very stupid person would even consider not having him for the manager

[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 19-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Why will you necessarily be outpinged?

If your players are ISDN or have access to ISDN, you can dial up BarryDial (which is now live again for those of you who don't know) for the duration of a match. Your pings will be as good as any other players if you do that. Yes, it's an international call, but only to the UK, so not that expensive at all - a couple of hundred quid sponsorship for the team from somewhere would cover it with ease.

Ja,
    Rob

yeh you're right.... I didn't really read his post tbh biggrin.gif but if he offered grand, he's the man for the job. But maybe a co-leader would be a good idea, someone to organise tactics, I don't know how good Dev would be in this area, prehaps Jedi aswell ? I think Jedi + Dev would be the best combination to run something like this and make it work.

• Advertisement

for most Uk matches, if i'm playing any sort of challanging opposition I usually use the Free UKCCL Dialup (ask most UK players, they also use it as a gaming ISP, even to barrysworld servers). I sometimes use Nildram and Jolt but I find the UKCCL one just fine. With a good TA on the ukccl dialup you get exceptional pings. For 2 matches a month that translate into around £5 in international calls, reasonable if you're trying to be competitive, and against teams like DC (when you're out pinged) it's vital.
    For most practice games I play vs DC, 4K and UNR with my clan SS being the odd one out with the 100 ping is very difficult and almost impossible, everyone else is on 50 pings straight (and the bulk of UK players in these clans have nothing but isdners with the odd collage lpb like Tek from DC, or Rain from UNR) - but the vast amount on the net are isdners, my point being is that dialling internationally would cut away any ping advantage.
    The alternative being to use an Irish isp which gives decent pings - you could really expect anything from 70-100, which is quite decent imho. I don't check my spelling either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

here krash, you were supposed to be at shadowlan for duels, but you didnt turn up??
    bwaakk, bwaak bwaak!

and you said eed would OWN(!!) anyone in ireland, ehhhhh ok!!

come to a lan, because i want to see your deadly 'sk1llz' in duels like you said

as for team ie, yeah practices would be cool, but dont play anyone in "official" games until youre on a lan, it totally wrecks it if you do and lose, noone wants to go to a lan to play against a clan that they beat every week on the net, even if that clan only lose because of pings and crap PC's, all the opponents notice is "clan 1 is ****, we play them every week and rape them", they dont give a toss what PC's or connects that clan is on, remember IE vs England the year before? 10 v 10 on death32c, noone cared that it was on the net, or that the IE team were lagged to ****, or even the fact that it was a 10 v 10 and noone today would take it seriously, all people saw at the time were the scores, and which team won.

for rapture 'training', me, chris(ser), dave(bunny) and nicky(beast) went down to UL, and played games vs clans like EA for one weekend nonstop from a computer lab, and we got used to playing together in the same room and each others playing styles, i think that that weekend was what fixed our teamplay, and was probably why we won rapture99

to practice for a lan game, you need to be in the same room as your teammates, you cant practice to be the best team on lan on the internet, its the reason clan 9 beat clan deathrow so badly when they played

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 19-04-2000).]

oh yeah, im all for re-forming team ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Sam, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

If sub 70 pings could be gotten to BW then I think this would be a perfectly fair way of praticing.

We would have to ask ourselves though, what is the ultimate goal of reforming the team?

I would say it should be to have a team that has the ultimate goal of going to the CPL Team tourney.

Sam would say this requires practicing nothing but LAN play but I think a mix of low ping net play and LAN would work better.

So heres my idea. We draw up a list of about 10 - 15 players. These players pratice together as much as posible on LAN and those who have lpb connects can form practice teams of 4 and play British clans. After we have done this for a while we will be in a better position to see who the team should be made up from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by KrAsH:
    Give everyone a chance to trial for the team, not just a l33t PS/Se7en combination with the odd DK, H player etc where you have to be in this special happy gang club and have played QW etc..

No wonder Dev doesn't want underage players... you forgot to mention your 3l33t q3 ringing skills, as carried over from your q2 days.

Personally I think Dev is as daft as a brush to even contemplate organising a team3.ie, given the ratio of muppetry/abuse/acting like a five year old that there'll be to gratitude/team actually playing a competitive game. I thought you said 'never again' after the last time Dev? smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I think its a good idea aswell, as the CPL is going toward international teams aswell...

We have the core of a good side, and the great thing that no one knows who we are again, PS taking a game off DC showed that, fact is that they got beaten overall tho. We need praccy, organised praccy, and lots of praccy.

Anyone thought of entering an Irish Super team in a UK league or another, you can all alias like ****, and give the team some stupid name if you want cover

I wont be playing for any team, or going for a team either so if Dev wants help with the organisation side or whatever I will give my time, otherwise I'll just support smile.gif I follow the UK and world sceene and know the people in it, would not do any harm to get as many demo's of the opisition all that ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I cant work with underage players. Luckily this doesnt restrict our range too much.

When you say 'our' who are you refering to? A whole community of gamers who've been actively particpating in leagues and lan events can be ignored while mr.ut-ctf picks the irish Q3 team based on age range?

Yeah, Tom, your underage comment that CT seems happy enough to back-up after afew posts by Krash is one completely bewildering and infuriating statment. I'd like it explained...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

i think tom is getting at the fact if/when the team would have to travel to lan etc that an underage person makes thing awkward even though they may be sound. also next season the minium age to enter the cpl is 17 i think due to quake3 being rated as violent or somat?

If the minimum age to enter a competitions is 17 well than that would explain things. Can't see someone who's 'underage' causing traveling problems however.

What Jedi said sounds like a good idea. It's all about getting the practice in, working as a team. Oh also, i'm not underage CT you'll be glad to know biggrin.gif
    I still believe that playing on the net is the way to do it as El_Presidente put it, with the addition of as much lan play as possible. The top clans in the uk play on the net every week (with the majority on isdn on uk isps and not complaining about the fact they've a 50 ping instead of a 20 ping).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

woah....

Reign that puppy in.

Some quotes and some explanations:

Jedi: "So nice one Andy (El-pres) for getting the ball rolling."

Eh? This ball has been rolling for a long time. I didnt mention it because it wasnt certain. It became certain last night so I posted about it. I cant even talk about the rest of the league as I'm under NDA. No offence to Andy (who was right to think that way since I was apparently doing nothing) but this has been a long time coming.

Koopa, Read the second line of my post.
    Its an online competition. There is nothing I can do about that and the thought of NOT competing has more then crossed my mind. At the moment I'm trying to get us put in a bracket with equally ****e pings so we dont get raped by 20 pingers. Trust me its complicated but there may well be no option. The latter rounds are on Lan.

RE: Panel. Yes, 10-12 players for two teams sounds good but this has to happen pretty fast so I want the top four chosen fast and then practising as a team. I fully admit I cant chose this team the way I did the last one so I'll have to involve someone else. I dunno who yet as that rather depends on who's willing to help me.

We'll phone UK, that sounds like a good idea.

re: underage players.
    It's not ageism, its to do with traveling. If they are underage then I would become their guardian. I'm not happy bringing known loonies (thats all you guys, in case you were wondering smile.gif ) abroad and being legally responsible for one of them.
    It doesnt affect OUR range of choices much as far as I know, and by OUR I mean "the communities"...they represent us... sheesh... Vor, get off your high horse and stop being so *****ly.

The only reason for my doing this after I said I wouldnt do it again ( smile.gif) is that its online and makes my life a lot easier. Also I did enjoy the Team.IE exploits even if they nearly caused me a breakdown!
    I guess the chance to ride out into the sunset once more is a little to enticing (anyone who was over in scotland will tell you its a rollercoaster ride all the way smile.gif )

DeV.

I'm not on a 'high horse', Tom and I'm not being - whatever you said that was censored. I asked for it to be explained, I think thats fair enough seeing as your first point just seemed unfair to some people. I think now you've explained it perfectly, except maybe for that silly censored remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

I'll help you out Dev if people don't disagree but I will be away for until the 22nd of May. Maybe till then we can get some stuff organised, let people who are interested in competing for a postition on the team finish there summer exams and practice there asses off and then when get straight into it and get the ball in motion. Then hopefully have a good team.ie base formed by mid June. If you need to form this earlier than that date then sorry but can't help you out mate.

Jedi (Just a sugestion)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Vor, the word was "pr|ckly" and the dumb censor censored it.

Jedi, this has to happen very quickly but I accept your constraints. I'd be glad of any help you can give.

Picking this team is going to be tough. I dont feel (morally) that I know the players skills well enough to enforce my viewpoint as I did with Team.ie when I picked them. CW had just annihilated everyone at Quakapallooza and Koopa had climbed to the heights of DM4 and unrinated on all below.
    Ser was incorporated because he made it clear by his play that we couldnt really ignore him.

This is different. There are no clear leaders, someone, perhaps many people are going to object to the final team. Noses will be put out of joint and allegations will fly probably. To minimise this I need to involve the community in a way that gets that info to me without it being a popularity contest.

We have to think about getting the team into one room for the games too if at all possible because there is nothing like lan comms. I really dont know about that.

DeV.

Surely we can have one event where we can try out different teams and play against each other. There is only one person I could say should definately be on the team and that's Nicky. The other 3 would be guess work. We need to all get together. To be honest we'd love to play some more LAN team games full stop.

• Advertisement

If it's a net competition you're planning to play in then holding the trials on the net is vital.

I think rushing a 'netTEAM3.IE' for a net league is bad idea. Time should be taken to decide on the actual TEAM3.IE. Do you not think this would be the better route?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Have they made so little moves with international gaming that nobody considers the two-leg option? All international online gaming should be over two legs as should any arranged praccy with neighbours UK, Scotland etc. Why should we be making international calls?

M

I think taking time building a proper 'net TEAM3.IE' for a net league is good idea.

I agree with Vor about picking a team for all events but limiting it to 4 players isn't a good idea, since there isn't 4 clearly defined top players yet, a squad of 10, 12 or whatever should be started, training on the net and at lans if possible > the aim being to find the 4 most suitable players on the internet and the 4 most suitable players for a lan.
    I'm suggesting a squad of 10 or 12 because that gives people an aim, to practice, to improve and for a healthy competitiveness between the members of the squad to break into the top 4 that would lead to a higher standard.

[This message has been edited by KrAsH (edited 19-04-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

someone, perhaps many people are going to object to the final team. Noses will be put out of joint and allegations will fly

then IMHO you have 2 options, you involve everyone, or no one. You either pick people, by team association, or by knowledge of the game, whatever. Or you say 'fcuk everyone and I am picking them team, and if you disagee then go and sh1te'

I would side with the first option. I give 2 reasons. Firstly its going to be close, I can think, in my head of 7 or 8 people with a real chance of getting on the team, so therefore some people (and their mates) are going to get upset. Secondly given how finely balanced the community is at the moment, some people will get stick no matter what they do, I propose this..

Dev is squad manager/chairman, and then like in the GAA you have a panel of selectors. Be that 1, 2 or 50 people. You either involve each clan or you dont, I personally would be against giving each and every clan a seat. You have dedicated people you will eat, sleep and breath Irish quake for the next while. The will go to evey lan, nethouse as often as they can, they will watch evey demo from the IQ3CL and beyond. and so on and so forth. therefore the job is spread over a few people, so one person does not have to do it full time and take all the grief on one set of shoulders.

whatever happens we have to propese and help in any way the people in charge and support our national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Sorry If I stepped on your toes a bit Tom, I didnt think anyone was thinking about a new team.ie so I brought up the subject.

I for one will be fighting tooth and nail for a spot on the team, I doubt I'll get it but I'll make the 4 lads who do get on work their ASSes off for it smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Team3.ie is a great idea.
    A few things arent though, the main one being rushing the team-picking.
    One of the drawbacks with Team.ie was the finalisation of the team, i.e. THE four were picked and that was it forever. Not saying they weren't the best 4, but other serious quake players like Slaan, Jay etc more or less lost interest as they had no hope of getting in.
    Myself and Jedi were talking about it coming back from UL at the w/e. I'd agree with him about more than four players, i.e. more than one team, let's say 10-12 players who are genuinely interested. Then you can meet for training, and have at least two teams of serious players moshing each other, unlike the Team.IE training, where the opposition was whoever just happened to be sitting on a stool smoking at the time.
    The running of the team should be by at LEAST three people, and if there is any sponsorship at all, we have to try and get some serious bucks behind us. Dev did a great job with Team.ie but the fact that there was only one person meant that he was solely responsible for both the cash and organisation, which caused problems.
    Off the top of my head, Nicky, Jedi, MP, Lorcan, Jay, Krash, El_Pres, Damo, Vorosha, OL, Koopa, Ser, Slaan, Osi, even myself with a bit of team praccy. There is a lash of ppl, and I'm missing a few, who would prolly give it 100% to get on a team and get involved. You definitely want to get 10-15 people together and let them knock the sh1t out of each other and get some idea of what team(s) you want. 2 Teams of 4 would be cool, should be no bother if we get proper sponsorship behind us.
    Dev, I'm happy to get involved, Jedi already expressed his interest, the three of us are in Dublin and readily available.

****, MP is hassling me for a pint, gotta go.
    Have to cut my spiel short, but you get the idea :
    Plenty of players,
    At least 3 organisers.

Gone.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited 19-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

What do we need for a Team3.ie?

A commitee of 3 to manage the funding and organise events, such as Lans for training and matches against other countries or clans.

A squad of twelve players, thats 2 teams and 2/4 subs.
    Perhaps a tactician.

Location for training.
    UL. T3 is better than anything else around for out of town games.
    Perhaps if I and sonic talk to someone, we can organise the use of a room in college or somewhere for such events.

Dublin. Events like shadowlan are perfect, for practicing amongst ourselves.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO USE PC's THAT ARE NOT OUR OWN.

Investment, this can't be left souly to the managers. Money is everything.

The team cannot be expected to play any games unless they are in the same room.

Dedication.

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 19-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

nice idea...

picking the team will be hard for sure, no1 is going to agree who is best 4...the two teams idea will work better for sure.

even the q1 team vs the _new_ boys would be fun smile.gif

beast, koopa, me, bunny ... hehe?

• Advertisement

yeah, good idea, im on for it!

Advertisement