Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team3.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I suggest a meeting in the Net House on Friday night to bash out some ideas and get some games in.

Lets face it, it'll be good friday so your not gonna be out on the ****. May as well get some enjoyment out of it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I cant be there and I suspect its too little notice for a lot of people. By all means try to get a group together even if its just for a chat about the team and a few games. Lets try for next friday (ie the friday AFTER good friday) for a nethouse session. The truth is tho that since we have to play online, its more about who has access to a low ping and is good online then who can rail best on a lan. frown.gif

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Sounds like a great idea putting this quake3 Irish team together.

A few things I might add about the irish players at the moment. At the moment there are at least 12 players if not more that stand a chance of playing for that team. There is not 4 players that stand out from the rest yet. Only about 2 people in Koopa and Beast. But after that there is alot of very good players on an even level.

So why not pick a teamA.ie and a teamB.ie. Pick a panel of the top 12 players in ireland. These can be picked over 2 nights in the nethouse or from a big Lan.

When these 12 players are picked let them practice together for a number of weeks on weekends. Then pick your top 2 teams from them. But please dont decide who the best team is from only one night. Anyone can have an offday.

Another advantage.

Having 2 good irish teams to train against each other on LAN would be alot more than other clans would have.

I have a good feeling about the irish scene at the moment. I seriously think we have the class to compete with alot of good teams. So nice one Andy (El-pres) for getting the ball rolling.

Jedi smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Yeah, Tom, that's exactly how it should be done. Good stuff, let's do it!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In answer to Jay.
    A commitee of 3 to manage the funding and organise events, such as Lans for training and matches against other countries or clans.

Agreed. If we get to the subsequent rounds there will be travel to the UK. Most likely not all three managers will be able to go. I'll stake my claim right now smile.gif

2. A squad of twelve players, thats 2 teams and 2/4 subs.
    Perhaps a tactician.

Sounds good. Last time Bunny, Von and Ser were the tacticians, I dunno who would do it this time.
    3. Location for training.
    UL. T3 is better than anything else around for out of town games.
    Perhaps if I and sonic talk to someone, we can organise the use of a room in college or somewhere for such events.

Dublin. Events like shadowlan are perfect, for practicing amongst ourselves.

If we go to UL thats a lot of traveling every weekend (training and play). Also we dont get to play on our own machines (unless we drag them down.)

We need to practise under the conditions we will be playing under.
    4. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO USE PC's THAT ARE NOT OUR OWN.

INDEED. However does that mean
    if you dont have an lpb connect you are pretty much screwed.

Think about it you have to drag your machine over to someones house ever time you want to play (or at least keyboard and mouse). Thats a pain for the player and its a pain for the person who's giving them the use of their ISDN.

Also beasts machine is crap, many players have crap machines. We might have to go with donated machines for simplicity and preformance.

Investment, this can't be left souly to the managers. Money is everything.

Money is indeed everything. I'll be looking into this but we dont need that much in fact.
    Phone calls will be the biggest expense and maybe travel. I expect people to foot some of their own bills if we dont get a modicum of sponsorship. If we qualify, we get our travel paid.
    6. The team cannot be expected to play any games unless they are in the same room.

Impossible.
    Where can we get lpb connects twice a month from the same room?
    I dont trust UL (their line has been dodgy before) and even if we did go there thats a lot of travel every weekend. (see above)
    We might be able to get PCHeadsets to give us 4 of their best headsets and use Battlecom (I've tested it already and it seems ok, need to see the effect on ping.)

Dedication.

This is the biggest thing. Being on the team means kissing goodbye to most of your weekends and weeknights. Dont apply if that bothers you as a kick in the ar$e off the team often offends. Last time we were blessed with fairly dedicated players. But I had exactly 5 of them in all honesty. This time there is a wealth of good players and those who dont show for praccy and **** about will just be tossed off the team. There are too many good players who will praccy like mad I'm sure and in the end the lads will tell you its all about praccy and teamplay.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Battlecom - is an excellent teamplay solution, I use it almost every clan game in the uk and with a dedicated BC server and a headset (I believe the IGN have one now) it makes gaming easier. Our clan have BC and RW servers that are optimised for the client and if they'd be any use i'd like to offer the use of them to ya's for training/matches.
    As for dedication, I think you made it sound a bit a bit too serious Dev, nothing should be allowed interfere in someones Friday/Saturday nights... unless of course it's a social event (like a lan). Not like training at 7.30 on a Friday on vishnu.ign.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

here, i have exams in 2 weeks, for 2 weeks, i wont(shouldnt) be able to play quake from probably end of next week, seeing as ive done no work so far, after my exams ill be able to play loads, or if there are people in UL ill head down there for 3 months or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

well sam,
    i'll be down in ul 4 da summer, and sonic likewise, both of us will have lan's setup in our house's and if things work out right well be living beside each other so it will be one big LAN, not sure if all rooms are taken in my house yet but i'll let ya know...
    your welcome to come down and use the machine whenever ya want....

this dedication, especially how you speak of it, is unrealistic and in some cases pointless.

I agree, some of you may find this hard to believe but quake isnt the only thing in my life and I'm not willing to completely drop everything for it.

I am however, willing to be quite dedicated within reason.

• Advertisement

The dedication required is probably a few nights in every seven day period. We can decide the nights beforehand so we avoid "7pm on friday" but this isnt something you can do in spare time when you arent doing anything else. Take it seriously or take a hike.

I dont see why I or any other manager should dedicate our time if people are going to be lax about showing up and training.

Remember we will have to give up at least as much time as you guys for praccy and games and thats only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the work to be done.

If you cant/wont commit to a certain level of training, dont waste anyones time.

Koopa I'll know soon what the timeschedule is but its likely to start in the next month.
    I'll keep you all posted.

DeV.

Tactics aren't as clear cut as they were in Quake.

Maps like DM6 have several ways to be played but its starting to become clear which tactic sets are better then others.

Dev, don't get me wrong I will be highly dedicated as I'm sure will most of the lads.

I think that meetings at the net house and small house LANs will be the best form of training.

(not to gloat here but) PS were having LANs in Jedi's house every other weekend back at Christmas and it really improved our game.

We don't need to know every level, what a waste of time and effort. Only those that are played in competitions.

Also dedication is needed, I completely agree. Flexibility is also needed.

That sorta caught out some of the players at the CPL last weekend.

They were used to playing T2 T4 and DM13 but some of em ended up playing on a modified DM6.

We should find out what maps the CPL are gonna use and concentrate on them because they will obviously be the standard.

The one thing I do ask of the Team.ie selection commity, is that the Team.ie be reviewed every six months. Player will improve and others will slack off over time. I think that if a team is reviewed every six months then the interest will stay in the community also it will keep the lads already on the team on there toes. I do believe that the quake1 team.ie was the best in the country at the time but great players like tomb were forgotten and then sliped away from scene and other good players lost the interest.
    So in the long term I think that by reviewing team will benefit all players and the irish quake community as a whole.
    Just my opinion.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

think tomb was left out, due to not having time or somthink?

i came to dublin many times for the practice, and never once met him...

the team that we had worked perfect, i wouldnt change the team today, if was still qw.

think should look more forthe good tp's rather than who has the best rail, or who can be the most greedy.

and experience rules.

I agree, however there are some inaccuracies in your rememberances.

Tomb didnt slip away, he couldnt make it to scotland due to family and study commitments. He certainly wasnt forgotten or left to drift.

There were 10 odd players who played for Ireland as Team.ie and I expect that we will have at least as many in due course play for Team3.ie however a consistant team is important too...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

buny, koopa, ser, beast is a winning team, i wouldnt liek to change that if was up to me, but talkign in irc, bunny is lacking much, if he had the means to practice as much as everyone elss, there wouldnt be a prob.

i rem like 3 years ago playign qw, i thought i new it all etc, always think u know alot, but 6 months later you look back and realise u knew 0.

But even you are not guarented a place this time chris smile.gif.

PS lost only one offical game since they have started up and this was against [H] with you playing instead of El-pres. Ya muppet wink.gif So what does that tell ya.

It tells me that this is not a 4 horse race. Theres alot more talent out there.

Jedi

[This message has been edited by Jedi (edited 20-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

I have been talking with Sonic, and we are going to go ahead and set up a UL Multiplayer Computer Gaming society.

This means.
    money from people who join.

money from lan events.

a place to train all year round with access to the T3.

a place for drinks in a seperate members only bar on campus.

Money raised can without doubt go towards paying for any members to travel to important events such as training for team.ie, and for out of country events.

Maybe in future we could even host the CPL.

The new students union building has rooms and rooms for such clubs and societies.

This will take time though, but WILL be an asset in the future.

As to what Jedi said.
    It certainly isn't a four horse race.
    And yeah Chris, maybe the team WILL be the same again, but this time I would like to see us fielding two teams.
    Besides, not everyone can always make the events, so subs are essential.

BTW. the UL connect has been excellent since the upgrade, so no worries there Dev.

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 20-04-2000).]

• Advertisement

you shouldnt base your performance on ps vs h, h had some teamplay when they beat ps at trinlan, while having none at shadowlan(we need to be sitting beside each other, as we have no proxies etc.), its not like h(or most clans) play the same every time, at shadowlan ps vs h was a free-for-all..

personally having played against PS, i think your best team has nicky and chris in it

as for the "tactician" part, let the players who are playing make the tactics, there are none better qualified to make tactics than the 4 who will actually be playing, we did that at rapture and it works, you dont need to learn maps so much, just know where everything is and you can make tactics in about 5 minutes

team ie had never played e1m2 as a clan before rapture, and dm3 and e1m2 were our "better" levels overall

as for CPL, i wouldnt even consider q3dm6 a duel map, one year from now i think tourney2 and tourney4 will be like dm6 and dm4 were in QW, the most played duel maps, and dm2 thrown in as a decider(q3dm13)

for example in one cpl they played e1m2 in duels in quake, noone today would even bother playing e1m2 in a duel especially in a competition

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 20-04-2000).]

Sounds to me like H want a rematch smile.gif

I dont think anyone with the posible exception of Nicky (who is just pure uncut class) should be garunteed a spot on the team.

It'll make people fight that little bit harder for a place.

ps's best team should beat h (in my opinion), but i think h should be able to beat the team that played us at shadowlan, if we had any sort of communication at all

ffs koopa you got beaten by me, chris, elpres and sean. Sean have almost never played with us. You were owned by a very weak and ****ed ps team smile.gif. I can promise you will never beat us again.

In Zeros words "Token smiley smile.gif"

Rarrrrr

Jedi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I stake my claim to be one of 3 here aswell. If anyone wants I can give my reasons why I think I would be perfect to be one of the 'selectors'...

Lads, if we are to do this, and win this, we are going to have to know every map, we are going to be that good that we can play any map and adjust to it in seconds..

That will take training a few nights a week. Be that on-line or LAN training. If you are not ready for 1 or 2 hours 3 or 4 nights a week, at the very least, theres no point in even starting this.

I have used both battlecom and rodger winco, TBH I prefer RW, as it works for everyone first time, and its fine quality. Aswell as that BTW, simple binds in configs are important aswell.

RE: tacticians, I would hope that we have several in the squad, every quake player has his opinions on how a map should or should not be played, and as soon as you know who you are playing you adapt, that comes with lots of practice. But you would hope its not just one person setting the tactics, but everyone contributing and agreeing!

The odd trip to UL would be kewl, to play some top clans from UK and europe to test skillz, but 10 lads in nethouse for 7 hours of a friday is important aswell. But we cant forget simply playing on the IGN servers, were you do have to adjust the way u play for the ping.

If someone is good enough we wil lfind a way for them to play on a low ping, even if its only once a week. There are not many problems a few boddies and some creativity cant overcome smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Dev: can you give us a some details on the proposed pan-european competition?
    a Webbie, whos involved, etc.

no, we were beaten by you, chaos (not ser), el-pres, and sean, by 2 frags, thats the team that i said h should have beaten if we had any communication at all, daire and collie were in the other room somewhere, damo was sitting behind a large speaker or something, was pointless trying to talk to him, and in general h had absolutely no teamplay at all in that game
    if you read my post above i said already that i would expect ps's best team to beat h

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Jedi:
    Rarrrrr

Ahem, I think that's mine...

And it's Rarrr

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

At the end of the day, the point is you have never played the PS first team, which is me, chaos, jedi and beast.

In my humble opinion our teamplay is pretty good.

• Advertisement

fair enough

Advertisement