Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

desktop database

Options
  • 21-01-2004 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I have an idea for a small app that i want to develop in flash later this year. It is going to need to read and write to a database on the same machine. What are my best options for this? Would an access database do the job?

I am a designer not a coder so your advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As access is basically Windows only, why not consider an XML database instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

Really hate to advocate it but Access is pretty OK for simple single user databases and it pretty quick to develop in..

Granted its only windows but then if thats all you need it for its grand..

Just dont get too multi-user on the beatchs ass or it will go balls up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Mmm, the Mac user will be a major client base so i guess access is out the window. XML looks like the way of the future. I will look more into it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

There's a couple of java-based DB's around as well. Advantage here is that they're cross-platform.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

... like Cloudscape that comes with J2ee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Mysql is free and it is powerfull and available on multiple platforms. If you have the time I would suggest to use it. It is not that hard to learn the basics of SQL. There is even a very good front end called phpmyadmin but you need a php server to run this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by blacknight
    As access is basically Windows only, why not consider an XML database instead?

Since XML is a file format I suggest that should have read, Why not consider using an XML "FILE" as a database. ;) It depends what Flash supports, but you could use Access, Excel, Filemaker pro even MySQL. I think Flash MX supports all the major db anyway. But you'd need to give more details before someone could make a considered judgement call. Personally I found Filemaker pro very easy for non techies to use. Otherwise I suggest MySQL.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Since XML is a file format I suggest that should have read, Why not consider using an XML "FILE" as a database. ;)

<even more pedantically>
    Because 'XML Database' is a generally-accepted contraction for 'XML-based Database services' ???

Just put the two words into google and you'll see what I mean...

</even more pedantically>

:)
    Otherwise I suggest MySQL.

MySQL (or any of the myriad of other databases which have versions available for multiple platform) suffers from one big disadvantage....you need a seperate distribution/install script for every platform you wish to support.

Thats why I'd go with a Java-based DB by choice. Use a Java-based installed to set up everything, a Java-based DB to run on, and Flash as your front end will do fine cause its just as cross-platform as Java is....

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Originally posted by bonkey
    [BThats why I'd go with a Java-based DB by choice. Use a Java-based installed to set up everything, a Java-based DB to run on, and Flash as your front end will do fine cause its just as cross-platform as Java is....[/B]

That sounds right. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You could use SQLite embedded in php maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

<even more pedantically>
    Because 'XML Database' is a generally-accepted contraction for 'XML-based Database services' ???

Just put the two words into google and you'll see what I mean...

</even more pedantically>

:)

'XML-based Database services' are not database's but services to usual SQL databases of one from or another. Thats my understanding of any such systems. Am I missing the plot?

MySQL (or any of the myriad of other databases which have versions available for multiple platform) suffers from one big disadvantage....you need a seperate distribution/install script for every platform you wish to support.

Thats why I'd go with a Java-based DB by choice. Use a Java-based installed to set up everything, a Java-based DB to run on, and Flash as your front end will do fine cause its just as cross-platform as Java is....

jc

Can you give us an example of Java-based DB and a XML one? Be interested to know more about this.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    'XML-based Database services' are not database's but services to usual SQL databases of one from or another. Thats my understanding of any such systems. Am I missing the plot?

AS I said...I was being pedantic. Technically, you are correct....but the term "XML database" is understood to mean "XML-based database service". Just like people don't expect to be finding panes of glass in the Windows box they buy.....

Can you give us an example of Java-based DB and a XML one? Be interested to know more about this.
    Cloudscape is the obvious java one, although there are others if you look for them.

For XML...do a google on XML Database and you'll find plenty.

jc

Advertisement