Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on Earnings from Writing

Options
  • 21-01-2004 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Earnings from Writing

I have written a small health-related publication that is sold by a friend in another country.

We split the profits and he sends me my share every so often.

It's not much but it's a nice income supplement.

Does anyone know what the tax situation on this is?

I've heard that there are tax exemptions for earnings from some kinds of writing, but I don't know which.

I e-mailed the Revenue over a week ago but have got no reply.

Can anyone help?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Tommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Creative writing" only, Tommy (novels, poems and the like). Not journalism (as Conor Cruise O'Brien found out some years ago) and not the writing of a small health-related publication. You'll have to pay tax on it.

The revenue may take ages to get back to you - for a start their main email address never seems to be checked as reported by people here from comments they've received from the revenue themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Yep Sceptre is right.

Ould Cruiser fell foul of the Revenue recently. Although as someone pointed out on the airwaves, most of what he's written for a long time now has been fiction- especially post unionism period !!

There maybe scope for such an exemption in the future and as has been pointed out on this forum on numerous occasions, if you lobby the Minister of Finance well enough you'll get what you want. For all we know the Journo's at the Racing Post dont pay tax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Ah, s**te! :)

I had an inkling that might be the case :(

I suppose it wouldn't do to have "This Is Only Fiction" on a health publication :)

Thanks anyway though - I appreciate the response.

Regards,
    Tommy.

Advertisement