Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't connect to network/net

• 21-01-2004 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

when i try to connect to the net or my router it wont connect saying you have to work offline,running win xp. i have linksys modem/router combo and can access the web through the old pc , so router is fine i think. i ran norton virus update and ad aware and after that it would not connect to network. i was also using serial infra red adapter software to link my se t300 phone through com ports before network stopped working.norton anti virus show in toolbar when pc starts up then disappear whjen i move the mouse.auto protect and email scanning will not load in norton. network connection says about 100 packets sent out and nothing recieved. did a system restore but no luck.will do full system virus scan tomorrow as no time yet. used network cable from other pc but still the same. the network card is in place aswell. info would be great -mayto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hmmmm

more info,

can you ping the router, tracert a host?, ipconfig etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

tried to ping router but says host unreachable. the ip config info gives autoconfig address of 169.254.220.200 (but should be between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254) , subnet mask 255.255.0.0 ( should be 255.255.255.0) , both dchp and autoconfig are enabled.can access router through other pc fine.when i try to repair network connection it says failed renewing ip address and flushing arp cache.virus scan found nothing.norton said it deleted trogan before network problems, could this be the problem .any suggestion what to try next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

had this problem myself last week, i uninstalled the tcp/ip protocol, rebooted then reinstalled tcp/ip and rebooted at it worked fine. the fact that you can ping the router suggests (to me) a tcp/ip problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Reinstall TCP/IP like suggested, and any other protocols you need while your at it.
    (IPX/NETBIOS etc..)

Make sure the light is on for you card on the router.

Then type "command" in RUN

When the prompt comes up try the following.

ipconfig /renew (win2k/xp)

OR

ipconfig /renew_all (win9x/ME)

It should get an IP in a few seconds.

Then try ping the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

got it working again. typed error i got when using the renewing ip address tip , '' an operation ...... is not a socket'' in google and got link to this site http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm . says its a winsock2 error , i ran lsp fix and winsockxpfix.exe and rebooted and all was fine again. thanks for the help
    mayto

• Advertisement
Advertisement