Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal sign kluivert

• 21-01-2004 10:12am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK not official yet but in close circles the rumours are that kluivert has signed for Arsenal. Normally the info I get on these is accurate so there is a good chance - we'll wait and see.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

though arsenal where piss poor because of the stadium ? how could they afford kluiverk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Where did you hear this?

Originally posted by bizmark
    though arsenal where piss poor because of the stadium ? how could they afford kluiverk ?

Wenger was given 20mil to spend in jan/summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ah right

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I get alot of info from Highbury - some b4 the papers. The rumour is that AW has got him to come to Arsenal. I didn't get any info on when but I would bet in the next few days - if its true.

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

hmmm an interesting signing if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Apparantly there's something in The Star about this today too. I remember reading two related stories about this back in December. Firstly, apparantly Kluivert has bought a house in north London already, secondly he has been really unpopular at Barcelona as of late, and there was constant talk of selling him to Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jodus

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Wenger was given 20mil to spend in jan/summer

I sincerely doubt it! They are spending 400M on the stadium, hadn't a pot to piss in last summer, where would they have gotten 20M from? And if that's the case, why has he not made a single bid so far, according to Wenger himself.

I will be astounded it this happens. I get info from a guy on the inside at Barca, and he never mentioned it. Why would they sell their star striker, when he's just calmed after an unsettled start to the season, half way through the season?

Also, according to the Daily Mail today, Arsenal have lodged a £20m bid for Reyes from Seville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I get my info from football365.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Imo (and this is not a Man Utd vrs Arsenal comment) I think he's piss poor. I stated the same when he was rumoured to be going to Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jodus

From 98 FM -

"Arsenal have signed one of the world's greatest centre forwards. The Gunners have nicked Patrick Kluivert from Barcelona and he'll join them at the end of the season. Kluivert, who holds the all time record of goals scored for Holland at full international level with 40 in 75 appearances, sees his contract at the end of the season run out and a clause in his contract means Arsene Wenger can buy him for a cut price 2 million quid. Kluivert will earn a whopping 115 grand a week at Highbury."

Ok, at the end of the season makes more sense, and is possible. But 115K a week? Wenger has always held on very tightly to Arsenal's wage structure. This would be double what even Henry is on, I reckon. That would cause a lot of upset amongst the top players at Highbury.

Still surprised I haven't heard it from my source at Barca.

Originally posted by Jodus
    I sincerely doubt it! They are spending 400M on the stadium, hadn't a pot to piss in last summer, where would they have gotten 20M from? And if that's the case, why has he not made a single bid so far, according to Wenger himself.

I will be astounded it this happens. I get info from a guy on the inside at Barca, and he never mentioned it. Why would they sell their star striker, when he's just calmed after an unsettled start to the season, half way through the season?

Answer

Originally posted by robbie1876
    Also, according to the Daily Mail today, Arsenal have lodged a £20m bid for Reyes from Seville.

yeah they have. 2 class signings if they get 'em both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I hope it isn't true - Kluivert is a waster who does no work for the team and throws tantrums whenever he doesn't get his way. What's more, he's a very expensive waster.

Having said that, when he's on his game, he's exactly the kind of player I'd like to see playing up front with Henry - strong, good in the air, and pretty good with the ball at his feet too. I just hope to God that Arsenal aren't stupid enough to pay him £115,000 a week though!

I read on Teletext last night that Arsenal have also made a bid for goalkeeper Sebastian Frey from cash-strapped Parma. Now there's a more sensible buy...

I cant imagine him being payed 115grand a week. Is this goalkeaper 35? cos if he isnt he wont get his game:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

I cant imagine him being payed 115grand a week. Is this goalkeaper 35? cos if he isnt he wont get his game:D

23 actually. Bu he's been Parma's first choice since he was 17. Every time I've seen him play, he looks like a safe pair of hands. Normally, he'd be worth £10-12 million, but Parma's cash troubles mean he'll go for 3 or 4.

Originally posted by mr_angry
    23 actually. Bu he's been Parma's first choice since he was 17. Every time I've seen him play, he looks like a safe pair of hands. Normally, he'd be worth £10-12 million, but Parma's cash troubles mean he'll go for 3 or 4.

A young keeper is needed, however i can see jens going for many years
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This Kluivery story was on Sky Sports News last night, they were reading the back pages of one of the papers. It said that they have signed Kluivert on a pre-contractual agreement and they will have to pay £1.5mil, if they had've bought him now it would have cost over £7mil. It was only on the back of one tabloid and I doubt there's any truth in it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I heard this too. I thought Kluivert had a 1.5 mill buy out clause?

I think it was Frey himself who claimed Arsenal were after him. PSV are claiming they've had a bid rejected for Robin Van Percie and that the Arse are lining up another bid.

1 keeper, 1 forward and 2 winger/attacker types linked in a number of days. I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

A young keeper is needed, however i can see jens going for many years
    :D

Stack?

1 keeper, 1 forward and 2 winger/attacker types linked in a number of days. I wonder.
    Somebody could be on the way out perhaps? If you think about the market value of most of the Arsenal players, there could be some cashing in to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭inaccessibleisl

I don't know nor care if it been mentioned already but a 2M Euro buy clause if applicble.
    At first I was worried, but when i think about it, he's overrated, lazy, arrogant, bad disciplined (ready made for Arsenal then). He flatters to decieve. The only thing that impresses me about him is his goal scoring technique when nobody is anywhere near him. I hate the man, and I will find him easier to hate now he has joined Arsenul. What age is he anyway? He'll be 29 next yr, another 2yrs is good for 2m but I wouldn't want him.
    Holland have learnt their lesson with him, play him on his own, lose or draw, play RVN and Van der Vaart, different class althogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

wow loads of stuff going on the last day or 2

Kluivert
    Reyes
    Frey
    Van Persie

Well not all of it could be true but i wouldnt mind a new striker to give henry a rest now and again!
    Could be all a smokescreen for alan smith
    yea you heard it here first smith is the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

please be true, kluivert is f*cking sh*te :)

even the dutch have lost faith in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by jank
    wow loads of stuff going on the last day or 2

The must be going to buy him off the Toon Army.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The must be going to buy him off the Toon Army.

well last time i heard he is still playing for leeds is he not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Wiltord and Kanu are leaving/being sold I think.
    And Bergkamp is retiring.
    Aliardiere needs more of a run, be interesting to see him and Van Perise vying for that 3rd striker spot behind Kluivert and Henry.

I don't see Kanu being kept around much longer but Wiltord may yet stay. If he gets some confidence he'll be a good option up front.

I remember reading an article that Wiltord wanted very regular first team action. The journalist stated that Wiltord and Wenger didn't always see eye to eye on tactical issues and team choices and that Wiltord was "increasingly eyeing a move back to France" iirc.

Dunno who would buy Kanu though, or for how much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

That story is nowhere to be found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/

was reading the story before Christmas, will have a look for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

frey would be an amazing buy for arsenal.(the next buffon me think ). All this speculation only means the press fell arsenal are going to buy some1. They just dont know who.Although the van persie deal seems to be the most realistic. When wenger was asked about this he said no comment and that these rumours were from feyenoord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by jank

Well not all of it could be true but i wouldnt mind a new striker to give henry a rest now and again!

Liam Brady also seems to think that as well, judging by his comments on the premiership recently.

Id echo the views that Kluivert is bloody overrated, When i heard he might be going to Utd i laughed, now im worried that this might be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by robbie1876

i doubt that very very much, arsenal's record signing is wiltord- 11m or close to that. theres no way with arsenal's current state they'll bid 20m for ANY player.

All the recent stories about Wiltord are that he wants to stay, but wants a 4 year contract while Arsenal are only willing to give him 2 (hes 30 soon). Unless Arsenal dip into the transfer market I imagine they'll agree on a 3 year contract. Bergkamp is really getting on, Kanu isn't really good enough and Aliadiere is still very young, so he'd be needed next season.

Kanu is good enough. Needs his game though and hasnt got it In the last few years.

He's a good squad player but he's not an adequate partner for Henry, which is what is needed.

• Advertisement

edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Speculation Overload :o

I actually think Kluivert could turn out to be a MAJOR signing - he's been pretty dodgy the last couple of years, not looking particularly interested but Wenger has proven his ability to get the most out of plenty of players in the past. Up until a year or two ago, Kluivert would have been in the top bracket of World strikers - would be exciting if Wenger could get him firing on all cylinders alongside Henry.

I reckon feyenood are really pushing this Van persie thing to drum up some money for themselves - Wenger's comments today : "I am surprised that the reports are coming in from Feyenoord. I am not responsible for them. They can say what they want, I can't comment on that. I can just say that we haven't signed anyone and you can trust me that when we've signed someone, we will inform you."

Reyes seems to be have been a pretty consistent link, there was comments from their chairman last summer that they turned down a bid from Arsenal, however he is getting a big reputation at the moment and Wenger wouldn't really get into a bidding war I think.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say Kluivert in the summer, with Alan Smith either in the next week if Leed's situation forces it, or in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

i pray that we did not buy kluivert. look at rivaldo, barcelona's other "great!"
    we need someone good in the air: VIERI!!!
    get VIERI!!

and sebastian Frey has NOT been Parma's number 1 for 6 years, buffon didn't leave 6 years ago. get ur facts straight. ah woe is me, where did football italia go??

Way off topic her but i cant get an answer in the support forum.

The link in my sig is a pic how do i get to display it as the pic????

Take off everything including and after the "?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Way off topic her but i cant get an answer in the support forum.

The link in my sig is a pic how do i get to display it as the pic????
    I think it is too big to have in your sig so you would probably need to make it smaller.
    Anway, just put the link into these Tags without the space after the G: [IMG][/IMG ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Sposs
    That story is nowhere to be found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/

Story

This is the paper that said Chelsea were about to offer 18m for saha last week so who knows if there's some basis to the story or of its just a column filler.

There is also a rumour that Alan Smith is going to Newcastle for 3m. It sounds very cheap for him to me but half his mates are already there so there could be some truth in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Aliminator
    i pray that we did not buy kluivert. look at rivaldo, barcelona's other "great!"
    we need someone good in the air: VIERI!!!
    get VIERI!!

and sebastian Frey has NOT been Parma's number 1 for 6 years, buffon didn't leave 6 years ago. get ur facts straight. ah woe is me, where did football italia go??
    to eurosport

Advertisement