Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry single player demo

Options
  • 21-01-2004 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Quite impressive. What did you think of the demo?

www.filefront.com
    or www.gamershell.com

~500 meg demo; broadband definitely recommended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

downlaoding via bittorrent - gamershell was slow as fook.

have you downloaded it Praetorian? Verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yes it's very good. I got it from Filefront at around 110k/b per second earlier this morning. I'd say the servers are probably busier now. Refreshing their download page a few times would be quicker than waiting for a bittorrent download.

I'm getting about 45-50KB/s on bittorrent so only about 3 hrs in all, maybe 2hrs left. I'm at work now anyway - so that's quick enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

whats the recommended spec for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Please tell me about this game. Compare it to other simmilar games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

this was the spec for the MP beta :

Recommended specs:
    o P4 1.7 Ghz
    o 512 MB RAM
    o GeForce 4 / Radeon 9x00 Pro series based cards or higher (no GeForce 4 MX support)
    o 500 MB of free hard disk space (+ Windows swap file space)

Iv just finished playing the single player mission.I would compare it to Project IGI, its a big map with loads to explore,the jungle is very lush with some cool sounds of animals and the like.The AI was quite good also,i had everthing up v.high at 1600x1200 and needless to say its stunning.

CombatCow

Combatcow, waht spec machine have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

watercooled Amd barton 2800+ & GF FX 5900 Ultra.
    And 1Gig crucial DDR.:dunno:

upgrading to amd 64bit cpu in the summer tho.

CombatCow

:) Yeah if it wasn't running well with that spec I'd be seriously worried....

I have Intel 2gig, 1/2 gig RAM, FX5600 256 RAM which I'm hoping will last me another 2 years at least... all this upgrading is too goddam expensive especially with the lack of decent PC only games the last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well if people think its worth the dload ill give it a go ;)
    Refreshing their download page a few times would be quicker than waiting for a bittorrent download.
    Things that are just released usually go very fast as ther are so many people downloading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yeah gonna d/l it myself see what all the fuss is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'll host an irish mirror soon enough.
    Getting it at about 300KB/sec from the 3Dgamers Netherland's server.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah man, can't find a decent download site and BitTorrent is incredibly slow and crap for me. All of 2K a second :(

FCD
    465Megs

Rename to .zip

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sweet. Cheers.

np
    I'll leave it up for a week, will probably have to take it down then unless the world servers are still being hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by SyxPak
    FCD
    465Megs

Rename to .zip

good job, 200k/b per second :)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Very impressed, I'd compare the action in it to SOF2 rather than IGI though.

Thanks to Syxpak for the mirror:)

Here's my verdict:
    Graphics: Excellent graphics, the view-distance is breathtaking. I only really noticed this on my second run through when I picked up the sniper rifle. The physics are also very good - especially if you kill someone in the water, and then shoot or hit them. Stuff like foliage or the floor of the jungle seems a little low res or something. Overall it seemd to run smoothl for me on medium-high settings, except when i shoot - sometimes it lagged a little.

Sound: nothing amazing here, the goons do seem to talk amongst themselves a bit. I've heard better gun sounds (COD for example). The ambient noise of the island seemed realistic. Sound doesn't really engage me that much, unless its really good (like in COD).

Gameplay: Lots of fun. You have to destroy a satellite dish on top of the island - there are many different paths around the island you can take. Even on medium difficulty I wouldn't go gung-ho into an area of more than 2 enemies. A modicom of strategy is required. There's nothing hugely orignal about the plot, its just fun. For some reason it reminded me of goldeneye.

Overall I was impressed and can't wait for the final product.

My rig:
    2800+
    9700pro
    512mb ram

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Andy at VE3D wasnt so impressed:
    http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=14658196

I suppose hes just counter-balancing the hype.

Matt

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Chief
    good job, 200k/b per second :)

cheers
    np :)

It's on a 10Meg switch to an 80MBit ATM connection, you should be able to get more then that, especially if you're on HEAnet or the INEX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Its SO pretty! Take a sniper rfle and zoom in on parts of the island and it looks fantastic! I was really impressed after I shot a guy and he slid slowly down some steps, gradually coming to a rest about half way down. Nice gameplay, really looking forward to the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

yup, thanks for that. Getting 1.2 megs a second so shouldnt take any longer than....oh ...5 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Shred
    Very impressed, I'd compare the action in it to SOF2 rather than IGI though.

Thanks to Syxpak for the mirror:)

I'd have prefered if it was closer to IGI. I liked IGI1 hated SOF1. Haven't played the sequels of either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The AI is pretty good, i put it up to hard and i was caught out once or twice by them flanking me
    (the approach to the antenna being a good example, i was crouched near a wall at the top of the first steps, and was picking off a few guys with the scilenced machine gun, the bastards went down the back stairs , and around and up behind me, while their friends kept me busy)

the graphics are indeed beyond eye candy, but its giving me a little bit of slowdown everynow and again, i think i need to play with the settings a bit more.

that said, the main character is really begining to grate, and in fairness, i don't think the finished product is going to be the all singing all dancing crap of the world.

it'll be a 4/5 game, pretty good, but not a classic.

i get the feeling that it'll also get pretty bent towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Fine game Gfxs are great system heavy though anyone below 1.8 ghz and a 5700 or 9600xt will be hurting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

wasnt too impressed with it, despite having great graphics, nothing else really stood out for me

its been ages since a game cought my imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dbspin

Heya,
    Anyone know any way I can get a hold of them demo other than download (I am on very narrowband). Tried DNC in temple bar as they used to be quite gamer centric. But unfortunately no longer. Any ideas ? I'm in collage in the dublin area, and would be well up for giving somone a 10'er for a cd with the demo.

Sadly no broadband in laytown where I live. ****in eircom !

Surely your college has a burner somewhere?
    Download it and burn to CDRW.
    Which college btw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Far cry doesn't seem to work for me.

It's annoying the hell out of my(downloaded it with 64k isdn line, ON UTVIPXL and with get right)

I tried to download the demo with directx 9.0b through the usual windows installer and then it reports a problem with the installer.

Install it without direct x 9.0b and everything seems ok
    I then install the upgrade to directx 9.0b from microsoft.

When i start up far cry I can get onto the menus, but that's all.

I have a radeon 9800 pro so hardware wise I should be ok, shouldn't I?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEllllllllllllllllllllPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Advertisement