Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Apache/Tomcat Question

Options
  • 21-01-2004 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to run an Apache server at the moment, but I've found I have to run Tomcat on top of it to get it to work. However, Tomcat re-writes a lot of the security protocols, and wont allow me to run any Perl executables, since its oriented towards Java.

We're using Perl in order to generate e-mails to a support / feedback team without the need for a user to have a default mail client setup (the intended platform is a PDA running PocketPC 2003). Does anybody know a good way around this?

Cheers,
    mr_angry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What OS are you on?

IMO, you should really only be using Tomcat if you intend on building a site with JSP and/or servlets.

What kind of problems do you have running Apache?

If you're trying to use Apache 2.0, maybe you'd be better off running Apache 1.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Our development machines are on XP, the server is a Mandrake box, and the target machine is a PDA running PocketPC.

We're using Servlets and JSP extensively. I had assumed that Apache 2 had it's own support for these, but maybe I'm wrong? It wouldn't seem to respond to any requests for JSPs without Tomcat running on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah right sorry. Afaik Apache 2 does have a module for Java/JSP but Tomcat is probably your better option alright. :)

blacknight knows quite a bit about Tomcat config IIRC, maybe he can help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

What you want to be able to do is to run Apache (for perl/php etc) and Tomcat (for servlets/jsp) together on the same port.

You can connect them using the mod_jk connector.

See this tutorial for how to do it (it's fairly easy really):

http://johnturner.com/howto/apache2-tomcat4129-jk-winxp-howto.html

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Yeah we have that running on our machine in college. Runs fairly sweet but haven't the full chance yet to play around with it. Apache takes over for everything except for any requests made to the tomcat dir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You need a servlet container, such as Tomcat, to run jsp/servlets.

The John Turner tutorial is very good if you are using an RPM based *nix system. You could also look at the tomcat-user lists' archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Advertisement