Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas question

Options
  • 21-01-2004 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I've finally taken a look at the luas website and have a question I thought someone here may be able to answer.

There are 3 seperate lines:

A which runs from Tallaght to Abbey Street
    B which runs Stephens Green to Sandyford
    C which runs from Abbey Street to Connolly

My question is if someone gets on line C at Connolly and wants to go up to Heuston which is on Line A then will it be a seamless journey or will that have to change at Abbey Street?

You'd think it would be a seamless journey, is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

...and what about the extension to the Point?:D :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, I've read about that in the paper and here but there's no mention of it on the map on the luas site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Aye, one day it will be seamless.
    (See attached map)

http://www.luas.ie/downloads/DTOnetwork.pdf

Of course we may all be living in colonies on Jupiter by then, but its nice to have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

personally I cant wait to et the luas from dundrum to the northside.
    (well, thats a bus to dundrum, luas to the green, walk/bus to the abbey station and then hopefully find a luas that goes somewhere near where I want to go.)

I know, lets NOT join up our networks!! tee-hee-hee

ahh theres nothing like the smell of Paddy in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The reason the turnaround is there at Connolly is because when the extension to the Point is built then it will allow "Rush hour trams" to terminate at Connolly and return to Tallaght.

That was in the Times on Saturday in reply to a letter to the Editor. Ill try and find it and word it correctly. But that was the jist of it.

Mark.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Winters
    The reason the turnaround is there at Connolly is because when the extension to the Point is built then it will allow "Rush hour trams" to terminate at Connolly and return to Tallaght.

That was in the Times on Saturday in reply to a letter to the Editor. Ill try and find it and word it correctly. But that was the jist of it.

Mark.

So when the spur to the Point has been built some Luases (what's the plural of Luas :) ) will turn back to Tallagh on arrival at Connolly and some will continue onto the Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by SteM
    what's the plural of Luas :)
    Trams :)

:D LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

line C is an extension of line A and line C1 (to the point) is a further extension

most trams will run continuously from Tallaght to Connolly, some may just run from Heuston to Connolly.

Trams going to the point via connolly will have to "reverse" out of the Connolly stop, but as there is a cab at both ends of the tram this just requires the driver to change ends and shouldn't cause significant delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Line A / B / C are names for construction purposes only. They may be renaming them for operational purposes - the last suggestion I heard was colours, but this creates a language barrier (1 and A are relatively international, "red" isn't - rouge, rot, etc.). In common usage they are likely to be called the "Tallaght line" and "Sandyford line".

As it stands all trams will operate Tallaght-Connolly, but depending on practical experience when it is up and running, they may assign some trams for "short running" Heuston-Connolly (to cater for passengers joining at Heuston - a single tram might be enough for this as the run would only take a few minutes) or Davitt Road-Connolly (there is a cross over point for moving trams between tracks at these locations). Once line C1 is in operation the short running trams may operate Heuston-Point Depot (C1 may eventually be extended to East Point / Clontarf Road or the Ferry terminals).

Luas is likely to kill bus route 90 (Heuston-Connolly-Tara Street-Heuston) and the busses are likely to be reallocated to something like Connolly-Pearse Stephen's Green-Heuston in a southerly loop.
    Originally posted by Imposter
    Trams :)
    We think alike :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

As I said earlier, the LUAS name should be scrapped and the trams should go under the DART brand (as should all suburban rail and buses). Perhaps they can call the lines L1 and L2.

Advertisement