Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eazypass - would you recommend it?

• 21-01-2004 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

NTR (who operate Eastlink and Westlink) have started advertsing the Eazypass on the radio. I had a look at the site but its not great http://www.eazypass.ie/.

I'm thinking of getting one of these yolks so a few questions:

1. Is it really faster?
    2. Will it stay cheaper after the current promo?
    3. Is it still cheaper if you are only an occasional user (say 5 or 6 tolled journeys a month)? This is not at all clear from the NTR site.
    4. Will Eazipass work only on NTR franchises or on all tolled roads in Ireland?
    5. Is it true that its not operating on the Boyne bridge yet (though this is a temporary NTR franchise already).

6. On a broader point does anyone know if there is government/ NRA policy on electronic tolling in force or in planning?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Used it once in someone else's car, there's bugger all difference in speed as the lane is still open to users with exact change. However it is handier than having to have the right change all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I don't use the toll bridges much but I got eazypass cos I never have change. The eazypass lanes are only for eazypass. They are not open for exact change. I do find it faster. It could be better, I think it would be better if the eazypass lane was separated out further from the plaza itself. I know it is not practical but it would be nice.

The price goes to the normal price after the promotion period, there is also the monthly service charge. Personally I think that this sucks. It needs to be cheaper than cash. I can't imagine that the cash booths are cheaper than the eazypass ones, they need to make eazypass cheaper so more people use it and convert more booths to eazypass only.

In short, I think it is great. It is more expensive but it is very convienient.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

How much is the monthly service charge?

It seems mad that one should be charged more to use technology that minimises both congestion and cash handling/labour costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i think the monthly charge is €1, so overall it is not cheaper, but it is handy if you use the bridges on a semi-regular basis as it saves worrying about change. Possibly more useful on the Westlink where there are dedicated Easypass lanes. There are no dedicated lanes on the Eastlink.

AFAIK it doesn't work on the Boyne bridge because NTR only have a temporary franchise, and I think someone else has won the permanent franchise so it may never work there unless NTR let other operators use the system (fat chance!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    How much is the monthly service charge?

It seems mad that one should be charged more to use technology that minimises both congestion and cash handling/labour costs.
    I think someone mentioned €12 - or was that the kick in point minimum for for them to charge your credit card.

Do a search for easypass here and on the motors board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

It can actually be slower sometimes when there are people in the easypass lane without change.
    People in the other lanes dont like letting them in.
    I was a bit miffed about the charge. Didnt know til i got my statement so it actually works out more expensive in the end.
    The not needing change is a bonus though.
    Forget it though for Eastlink. Absolutley no point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

www.eaZypass.ie with all that money you would think they could afford a dictionary, or maybe the z refers to the sleeping of most people who use the m50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by Victor
    I think someone mentioned €12 - or was that the kick in point minimum for for them to charge your credit card.

Do a search for easypass here and on the motors board.

€12 is the minimum credit you can have on your account, and the minimum charge is then €40. You can also have a direct debit from your bank account.

I use it at least 8 times a week, it's v. useful in heavy traffic providing no muppets forget what NO CASH with flashing orange lights means.

You cannot use the EazyPass lanes without an EazyPass tag.

Also, the Z iz just kewler than a crappy s.

Advertisement