Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband just sent me a free copy of Norton Internet Security 2004

• 21-01-2004 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

huh?

How come?

Is this a catch? will they attempt to make me pay for it?

Whats the story? Has anyone else had this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

as far as i know you are meant to get that as part of the deal, im still waiting on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

from the iol broadband site
    Iol Broadband also includes a Free Internet security package worth approx €90

lucky git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Finally got mine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Just got mine too :)
    After a month-and-a-half wait :rolleyes:
    Yay tho ww)

It is what it's.

very handy program i got it with my pc's motherboard ......though you do have to pay for the updates after 2-3 months :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

read the note attached!! it says 90 days of free updates. no doubt you have to pay after the time is up!!!!

yep you have to pay the guys that make the prog for a year's updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Which costs as much as the full package.

This works out as a 3 month trial...

You get the same shi-te with new pcs from Packard Bell etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why not one of the many free ones that are available online???

zone alarm
    sygate
    black ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Why not try Zonealarm or Kerio?

Zonealarm basic is free and Kerio is free for home users too.

Zonealarm

Kerio

Amazing that the most BB providers sell BB to users without some sort of recommendation of a firewall to use. Seems completely negligent on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Yup 3 months of free updates. Then 25pounds sterling for a year...

I think i will be looking at other ways around this...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I know with norton antivirus if you reinstall it after 3 months you get anothe 3 months. I say its the same with the internet security package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got mine today aswell.

Clearz is right. just uninstall and reinstall it. I'm still using Norton anti-virus 2002 and updating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by clownboy
    I got mine today aswell.

Clearz is right. just uninstall and reinstall it. I'm still using Norton anti-virus 2002 and updating it.
    Talk about going back in time :p*cough*

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭The Bouncer

They have proved yet again how truly amateur an operation they have. I got a copy too but these copies are for PC users only I use a Mac (Which they know) you would think they would have the cop to check customer HW before sending it out!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i love these free trials, they can always be beaten (easily). Most of em use registry keys, so you just get a proggy that monitors what reg keys the program reads/writes, and then you just delete em all, uninstall the app, and then reinstall.

BTW, the changing the date back a week or 3 gets annoying after a while.

I in no way condone getting cracks or serials for those pieces of software, and i know of no places where there are serials for 1000's of applications etc. :ninja:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit

I in no way condone getting cracks or serials for those pieces of software, and i know of no places where there are serials for 1000's of applications etc. :ninja:

lol;)

Cool i got a copy as well......didnt think i would seeming i signed up nearly 7 months ago Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

They have proved yet again how truly amateur an operation they have. I got a copy too but these copies are for PC users only I use a Mac (Which they know) you would think they would have the cop to check customer HW before sending it out!

They probably just presumed you were all right security wise as you're not using a windows based OS, but you were entitled to it anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Got mine too. As I also signed up 7 months ago before they had any special offers it's nice to get a little something. My current one expires at the start of March so I'll save myself a few cent. (Just have to work out the cheapest way to upgrade)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

what a surprise - everytime i get an envelope from esat i start sweating, thinking WHAT NOW?!
    So a pleasant surprise i guess, even though i've been with them since July and didnt think i'd receive anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Lol, signed up over the summer, received 2 copies so far... Wonder how many more I'll get...!? :) Still to install one tho! Haven't bothered, yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by clearz
    I know with norton antivirus if you reinstall it after 3 months you get anothe 3 months. I say its the same with the internet security package

i don't think that used to work for me, i though they left something in the registry to stop you doing that, if they don't there bloody stupid, handy though if it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i don't think that used to work for me, i though they left something in the registry to stop you doing that, if they don't there bloody stupid, handy though if it does

It does work I havent done it myself because i am just after installing Norton Internet Security but some of my mates have done it and it works. I know its mad that a security package does not even use a registry key to secure itself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't like those Norton packages, way to bloated
    I'd properly try sell it if I got a box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

I'm still waiting for mine since October. They must have got a batch on the cheap. I reckon it is a marketing disaster for them. It wouldnt take Einstein to work out that a Dear John letter when you sign up, thank you John etc would not go amiss. Also Dear John sorry for the delay in issuing Norton and dear John we have much pleasure in finally enclosing love Esat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Just out of interest did they send out the full retail box or the oem style one, just the cd, which goes for about 10euro on some websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

love Esat
    :D
    just the cd, which goes for about 10euro on some websites?
    yea it's just the cd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

Don't know if it's just me but my machine takes forever to boot up since i loaded the Norton Internet Security 2004.

Anyone else!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yeah.......problems with it here.. After installing it on XP-Pro.....the machine took about 15 mins to start. When I finally got control, it's as slow.....un-installed it and as a result my older Norton Anti-virus 2003 isn't working anymore. Great....now I've no virus software!

Advertisement