Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Card Question/Help

• 21-01-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a new Video card to play the new Deus Ex game that will be released here next month. Apparently your video card must support "Pixel-Vertex Shaders" to run the game. Now I've been looking at the "GF FX5700 Ultra 128MB DDR2 AGP " and the "Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB DDR AGP DVI VO" both around the same price and both "AGP 8X". Now my PC is kinda old "P3 1Gig speed and 512 SDRAM". The motherboard only supports 2X. Now I realise that I will not get the best out of these cards until I get a new PC but will they work on a Mobo that only supports 2X.

If anyone has any ideas which of the mentioned video cards above is the better buy it would be helpful. Both are around the same price within a fiver.

BTW: Both these cards will run on a CRT Monitor, Yes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Both of them cards will work on your computer. As for which card to go for i dont know i have heard good things about the FX5700 card. But for the past 6months to a year the best middle range card was the ati9600 pro.

One good thing about your computer is that u have 512ram thats a must i think for the games of today, I my self have 1gig of it. I have used computers with 1ghz processor with a crappy geforce 4mx card to play BF1942 and the game would play very well "detail would be turned down all right".

Any way one of them video cards will make a big differince to your computer, As for which one to go for i dont know i would prob toss up a coin :)

Im sure someone else will have the right anser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

After considerable reserch into mid-range GFX cards recently, I went for a GeForce FX5900xt. It is in my opinion the best mid-range card available at present, beating FX5700 ultras and 9600xt's by big margins in benchmarkings and test's.

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q4/geforcefx-5900xt/index.x?pg=1

It is a great overclocker into the bargin.

Advertisement