Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unrestricted net access via GPRS?

• 21-01-2004 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me if you can get unrestricted access to the internet using (Vodafone) GPRS, or is it merely high speed WAP?

For example, would it be possible to use a GPRS mobile connected to PC with DVB card to use a one-way satellite internet service? Most of these appear to use a VPN connection - can this be done over a GPRS mobile as you can with a landline?

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know certainly you can use a laptop + mobile to access the web over GPRS, but as for using it as the upload line of a one-way sat service I'm not sure. GPRS isn't a time-based service, i.e there's no dial-up. So certainly you could use the mobile in conjunction with a sat service, but only over CSD.

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about how clients (i.e. phones) access the web through the carrier's network, over GPRS could shed more light on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You should be able too. The only thing off concern would be the upload speeds that GPRS would facilitate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

The other concern would be the extortionate data costs on vodafone. Bit i vpn on vodafone GPRS and it works fine, HSCSD would be better for what you want, but again you would rack up a huge amount of call minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Certainly using the VF ISP service over GPRS it works like any other dialup ISP, so should technically do what you want. Not sure what the upload speed is - how many slots up do you get with GPRS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think its only 1 slot for upload.. not 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Thanks for the replies!

Can VPN also be done over O2 - is it similarly unrestricted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Charolais

zaphod, is that you from the old TOL 100s?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

Originally posted by Zaphod
    Can VPN also be done over O2 - is it similarly unrestricted?
    yeah, it works on o2 gprs on the standard internet apn with the cisco and checkpoint vpn clients. it doesn't work on pp.internet however.

Advertisement