Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for win-back visit

Options
  • 21-01-2004 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    The missus had an Eircom rep on the door today presumably attempting to win us back from UTV. Herself said I'd be home later and to either call if he's still in the area or ring me as he'd like to do business with me.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had one of these types around recently. Presumably they've got a standard script of tricks and dupes they pedal. I'm about to go through previous Eircom bills vs UTV bills and build up a profile of our telephone usage so I can apply them to any deals he wants to strike up.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you business or residential? They can't really strike any deals with you. Be aware of their prices, before and after VAT, print them out if needs be. Eircom salesscum, sorry salespeople, are notorious for just plain lying to you. Don't sign anything. Don't let him presurre you into buying anything. Don't let him tell you anything without proof. If he says something ridiculous along the lines of UTV don't have as much capacity as us, ask him to produce evidence of this.

He will lie. Through his teeth.

Best to keep the ball in your court. For example, "You get my line qualified for DSL, and sign me up for I-stream, then you can come back to me, and I'll sign back to eircom." Lie to him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Under current rules he cannot come for 3 months after you switch over.....if you switched over since the 21/10/2003 then PM me about it.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Here's what I've got so far. It's a table comparing Eircom, EsatBT and UTV's rates. If anyone sees that anything's amiss, let me know.

The min call charge/set up charge is in brackets. Prices are cost per minute.

From recent statement reviews I'm aware that we spend most of our money on Vodafone calls. Currently combatting that at the moment as I can expect the CPS to do all the work for me :)

Edit: I should say that the green indicates the cheapest rate for each call type whilst orange represents the most expensive

Sorry about that Muck. You must have replied as I was replying.

Checking back, it looks like the switch actually occurred on 9th October 2003. Yep. After looking at the last Eircom bill, the last call they carried was on 7th October. So it looks like he's entitled to his little visit.

More to the point it looks as if Eircom complied with the 3 month cooling off ruling by Comreg. Had they not it would be an interesting situation if you decided to make an issue of it.

Is there any way you could go out the back of the house 'lambing' in the mud when he comes to see you :D

and sign nothing !

M

• Advertisement

Nicely done fatherdougal. If I used my landline for calls, I know the bulk of my calls would be weekends and evenings to O2 and Vodafone nos, where, surprise surprise they seem to be dearest :rolleyes:

Show that to him, and he won't exactly have much to dispute.

Working on the most recent UTV bill. It's a bit time consuming. One day I must sit down and write me a nice app to do all the local, national, mobile, daytime, weekend, evening analysis.

Here's how December looks.

That was the most expensive bill with UTV (so far) so I'll do a typical Eircom one now and see they shape up.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

A simple test to see how much he wants your business is to get yourself a cattle prod, or similar device. Then ask the salesperson to bend over and ram it where the sun doesn't shine. Tell him this is the Eircom test, and your doing this to let him understand how customers feel.

If he can come up smiling then you'll sign up with Eircom again........

M.

Darn.

Something more pressing has come up so I won't have the time to complete this.

However, looking at the simple bill totals it actually looks like things might be more expensive with UTV than they were with Eircom which is strange. Here's how the bills look:
    Apr/May - Eircom - 82.93
    Jun/Jul - Eircom - 58.31
    Aug/Sep - Eircom - 79.26
    October - UTV - 47.91
    November - UTV - 47.54
    December - UTV - 69.41

Certainly warrants further investigation. I know from a recent check up that I did that the majority of the UTV bills were spent on mobiles. EsatBT seem to be best for calls to mobiles but I'll need to see what sort of impact switching to them would have on landline calls.

You could nearly set up a business for doing this sort of stuff. Better yet, do what the Germans do with their Least Cost Routing things that will route the call over the cheapest network depending on type of call and time of day.

I'll let you know how I get on though.

Well things weren't as urgent as I thought. What I've done is racked out all the numbers and applied the basic call charge as well as the call setup (in the case of UTV) and the min call charge (in case of EsatBT and Eircom). With UTV the calls came to €61.98, with EsatBT they came to €55.19 and with Eircom it would have been €62.96. So I was €1 better off vs Eircom but I must seriously consider shifting to Esat as I also have my BB with them too. Together with the switch to €40 p.m it looks like the sensible move to make.

Let's see him get out of that one :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Darn.

Yes, €ircon dropped some of their charges to mobiles recently.

Better yet, do what the Germans do with their Least Cost Routing things that will route the call over the cheapest network depending on type of call and time of day.

Here is a manual version of Least cost routing. As there are so few carriers in Ireland you simply write a few of these codes down near de fone.

Say you normally use UTV but think Vartec are better for mobiles.

simply dial 136360871234567 (13636 is the Vartec code)

your next call will go thru UTV as before.

Say you normally use UTV but think Eircom are better for mobiles.

simply dial 136660871234567 (13666 is the Eircom code, no irony either :D )

your next call will go thru UTV as before.

etc

Thats all a LCR box actually does . It has a matrix of times dates and prices and the code for the cheapest carrier AT A GIVEN TIME

M

Vartec Call by Call Rates FYI ( I have no connection with Vartec let me add but you can use them without having an account, you must transmit caller ID , thats 142 before the carrier code 13nnn )

13636 to Irish Mobile Phones on ANY Irish Network
    Weekday Daytime per Minute 22c
    Weekday Evening per Minute 16c
    Weekends per Minute 12c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Muck
    I have no connection with Vartec let me add but you can use them without having an account, you must transmit caller ID , thats 142 before the carrier code 13nnn )
    How does that work? If you don't have an account with them, how do they bill you?

Intruiged.....I rang them and asked. Your alternative to full or partial CPS is to prepay an amount starting at €5 either by CC or in a Post Office. That gets you an account.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Last time I had a very pleasant rep from Eircom around to my house to try to win back my business (after umpteen letters), I told the poor woman that I wouldnt come back to them if they offered me gold bars!

Anyway, they started calling around to the house a week or so ago. Good cop/bad cop this time. Bulky man and thin woman. They havent managed to catch me in yet, but have caught both my mum and sister. On each of the three occasions they have called this week, they have been given pretty short shrift but spent 10 minutes tonight trying to persuade my mum to persuade me that they were way cheaper than my current provider. Bastards.

When I signed up for UTV Radsl, I migrated from ISDN which the little man in Eircom told me would cost 24.99 (plus my 99 Euro to UTV). When my bill came in, it had an additional charge of 123 Euro + VAT. I rang them to get them to explain. Many phone calls later, their compromise suggested was "Well, Sir, why dont you just pay the 123 Euro and if we find we have made a mistake, you can have it back as a credit". Bastards. Didnt pay of course.

Most recent bill arrived this week:

Balance brought forward = 153.21
    Recurring Charges = 37.18
    Call Charges = 0.00
    Miscellaneous Credit = - 86.78
    Charges for this period = - 49.60

Vat on - 49.60 @ 21% = - 10.41
    Total Bill = 93.20

Its like Seinfelds bizzaro-world. Rang them to ask them just to confirm what the -86.78 was for. Accounts department had no idea. Whats the vat on - 49.60 I asked? Silence from the other end of the line. Jaysus.

Moral of the story is dont let them feck you around or intimidate you, and on principal, tell them to piss off when they call to your door (nicely!).

Cheers,

Pete

PS My apologies for the extra long rant. Just annoys me to think that there are people innocently being taken in by Eircoms nonsense. Sorry again.

Well no show last night. Just as well really. We had the world and it's mother in. I'm sure that if he's canvassing the area he'll try again. Left me his mobile number on the back of one of their glossies. Jaysus I'd love to know how much of our beloved line rental goes towards printing nice colour bills, glossy brochures and all that. I thought it was funny though that he left me an 087 number to ring when they're the most expensive for evening/weekend calls. Another irony is that he told the missus he used to work for EsatBT. Maybe it's just a pitch to try and sway us.

Anyway, I'm going to spend some more time with my monster spreadsheet and put the past few bills through the three operators to see how it works out but I strongly feel I'll go with EsatBT so I can get my broadband reduced as well.

Has anybody tried this sort of move yet (already have BB but want to migrate to Talk and Surf)? I hear that EsatBT's accounting isn't exactly confidence instilling and that people get billed twice and stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Seamus that is a fair comment and I accept that point I just want my point of view to be known on the subject it may not be what everybody else thinks but I think all opinions should be valid as i disagree with a lot of what other people say and I also agree with a lot that is said. That was the whole point of my post. I having nothing to do with Eircom but any dealings I have had have been perfect with no issues, with the latest been my DSL installation no problems there either.

Grand so. (I edited my last post while you were replying...it's all a mess)

Now....where were we? (i.e. back on topic please :))

Originally posted by Muck
    Intruiged.....I rang them and asked. Your alternative to full or partial CPS is to prepay an amount starting at €5 either by CC or in a Post Office. That gets you an account.
    So you do have to have an account with them before you can use them?

This is another example of an anti-competetive practice by oreillycom. In the US, you can just dial the prefix, and your ordinary monthly phone bill will include sperate sections for each provider you have used. (This was straightforward in the US, as the local telcos couldn't offer long distance service themselves until relatively recently, so they always handled "3rd party billing" on behalf of whatever long distance company you selected. It was easy for them to cater for multiple long distance companies on a single bill, and there was no disincentive for them to do this, because they weren't competing for that business anyway).

In Ireland, the only way to get to this stage would be to force the seperation of the business handling the infrastructure (including the metering of calls and the billing) from the business selling the actual call service. The only way that this can be done legally, in all probablity, would be to impose restrictions on telecommunications licenses. And we all know how likely that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can - or at least you could - do that with most other OLO's and service providers. Perhaps Vartec is the one requiring an account? I always got that impression from any bumph I've seen.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    You can - or at least you could - do that with most other OLO's and service providers.
    How? Were you charged for these OLO calls on your oreillycom bill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

From the Vartec mailshot I have in front of me right now:

"There are no prepayments"

"The great thing abour 13636 is that it is available on your phone right now"

"How do I get started? All you have to do is tap in 13636....."

"How will I be charged for using 13636? You will receive a regular bill from Vartec detailing calls you have made using our code..."

I would guess Eircom has to supply an address to Vartec once a customer uses the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

I think that your first call is routed to the Vartec call centre and you set up an account (direct debit/credit card etc).

By the way the regulator consulted on whether calls should be billed on the eircom bill - and there was no interest.

Originally posted by query
    By the way the regulator consulted on whether calls should be billed on the eircom bill - and there was no interest.
    I can understand that an OLO would prefer to set up an account with a customer rather than wait 6 months for oreillycom to forward their money on to them (for a "small administrative fee of €2/bill/month", no doubt). I don't suppose ComReg considered this from a customers point of view at any point? Having to pay 3 or 4 different bills, instead of 1 bill, is a disincentive to moving away from oreillycom. It's all part of the "inertial marketing" edgs that oreillycom has.

Originally posted by BendiBus
    From the Vartec mailshot I have in front of me right now:

"There are no prepayments"

"The great thing abour 13636 is that it is available on your phone right now"

"How do I get started? All you have to do is tap in 13636....."

"How will I be charged for using 13636? You will receive a regular bill from Vartec detailing calls you have made using our code..."

I would guess Eircom has to supply an address to Vartec once a customer uses the service.
    I'd be extremely surprised if it worked that way. I sincerely doubt that it would be cost effective for vartec to bill me for one or two calls a month if they had to send me a paper bill, and wait for me to send them a cheque, even assuming that there wouldn't be any privacy implications in eircom handing over my address in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Vartec:
    I've been using them for a good while for international calls. It works even if you are not using eircom [sic] for calls, i.e. I am with UTV and no problems.

They DO send you a paper bill every month if you have made calls during that month using the prefix.

As far as I can remember, your first call is 'intercepted' by their call centre registereing you and thus eliciting your address etc.
    Never any problem, bills are itemised and you have a couple of days to pay.
    If you don't use them you don't get a bill. Simple.

Cheers

Originally posted by morgana
    As far as I can remember, your first call is 'intercepted' by their call centre registereing you and thus eliciting your address etc.
    Never any problem, bills are itemised and you have a couple of days to pay.
    If you don't use them you don't get a bill. Simple.
    Okay, so you do need a account to use them, but it's relatively painless to set up, it's just a hassle to actually pay it each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I've had some problems with Vartec. They're cheap certainly. I've found their online support friendly but helpless. Ive been charged 3 times on my credit card for one bill. Havent had the energy/motivation to challenge it yet - easier to cease using the account. Seems they had problems discerning Euro from Sterling paments a while ago. Maybe it's sorted out now but why take the chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Just so as I'm clear on this, you've been charged 3 times for something and you haven't bothered getting it sorted out?

Jesus wept.

I also note this is your first post. Are you familiar with the saying "It's better to stay silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Originally posted by Lissavane
    I've had some problems with Vartec. They're cheap certainly. I've found their online support friendly but helpless. Ive been charged 3 times on my credit card for one bill. Havent had the energy/motivation to challenge it yet - easier to cease using the account.

Well, if you wont do it for yourself, then do it for the rest of us. If people tolerate this sort of thing (and lets face it, it happens every day), it just means that it will go on happening. This sort of thing has to be stamped out as a matter of principal - even if it costs you more than whatever the three bills were.

Stuff like this may seem petty Lissavane, but it will always be there - you wont forget it and regardless of what you say, it wont sit well with you.

The reason that it wont sit well with you is because you were ripped off and didnt even make an effort to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

Looks like the newest Eircom ploy is to forget about winback reps and just take your business.
    I finally took the plunge and ordered UTV's ClickSilver package last October/November having used their UTVip and UTVxl packages for over a year. My ClickSilver setup etc went fine... everything seemed good.
    My Eircom bill arrived last week, total due included calls for the last 2 months and not just the line rental I'd expected. Checked my ClickSilver statements (I know I should really have checked them sooner, but..) and no call charges were taken for the November bill and when my December clickSilver statement was available there were still no calls.
    Contacted UTV who asked had I spoken to Eircom, signed anything that would allow them take back my line. No I hadn't, no contact with Eircom at all for the last year. UTV have since contacted Eircom to have my phone service switched back to them, but it looks like Eircom took it upon themselves to hijack my phone service when i switched from UTVxl to ClickSilver.
    Called Eircom billing and they have no idea what happened.

Anything like this hapened to anyone else?

Advertisement