Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floppy Drive seems broke

• 21-01-2004 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

My floppy drive doesnt seem to read the disks. Windows asks me to insert a disk but there is one already in. The disks are fine. The drive is being picked up in BIOS and by windows but is ignoring that the disk is inserted. Its only 13 months old too with little use.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Remove it.

Throw it in the bin.

Buy yourself a nice zip drive or usb memory stick.

Hate mother f**king floppys, Every other component of pc's have advanced at an amazing rate yet we are still using 3.5" floppys, gah.

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well get a boot disk go into the bios and try and boot from the disk if u cant and ur bios was setup wright then spend about 14 euros on a new one .

its a pc yeh ??? not a laptop ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by BloodBath
    Remove it.

Throw it in the bin.

Buy yourself a nice zip drive or usb memory stick.

Hate mother f**king floppys, Every other component of pc's have advanced at an amazing rate yet we are still using 3.5" floppys, gah.

BloodBath

Thanks for that useless information.

Its a PC, Elexes. It dont recognise a floppy on startup either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Open the PC & check the cables floppy & power. If the light is always on then the floppy cable is the wrong way around..............If its not the cable then its fcuked, Its is the cables dho

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have exactly the same problem at the moment, I'm pretty sure the data cable is shot.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'll check the cable when I get home. Its a rounded ribbon cable from abit, didnt think it would damage easy. I'll examine that. Dont have another cable at the moment to use either, ill get one at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I've seen this happen with several pcs in the last couple of yeares.
    Try a few older floppies in it.
    I dont know why but the pcs i had thois problem with could read older floppies but new ones wouldnt work until theyt were formatted on that particular machine.
    There's something funny about formatting too but i cant remember what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Also my experience it's more likely the cable than the floppy. In my brand new '04 PC I'm using the floppy from a PC I bought in '95 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by unkel
    Also my experience it's more likely the cable than the floppy. In my brand new '04 PC I'm using the floppy from a PC I bought in '95 :)

I'm nearly as bad as you! My floppy was until I replaced it last week, the last bit of my first machine (1996).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

think ive still got one floppy ive been using since 95

• Advertisement
Advertisement