Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom net?

Options
  • 15-04-2000 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Does anyone experience bad connects to vishnu on a dublin eircom net dialup?
    I get a 46k connect, and my ping is 98 to 110 in dos, but 180 to 450 when I goto the server in Q3.
    Even SNL gives me a better connect, a 140 to 160 ping.
    Help?
    Eek.

<< Arf Arf >>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Oh btw, in CA its fine too, a 100 ping to slosh.ign.ie in qw :P.

<< Arf Arf >>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Try Unison altho that's not usually much better...

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
    clanludo

[This message has been edited by Sico (edited 16-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Get ISDN.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

and a pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There seems to be something wrong with the Eircom network (no sh|t!).

I'm going to try and talk to them about it but its a much bigger problem then just us I expect. Who knows but there is a lot to talk about with them...

Until then, bear with us. You know I want decent connects as much as anyone else smile.gif

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

ye my pl is spiken past 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I've noticed it on the Half-Life end of things, I get ping spikes and 30%+ packetloss.
    Eircom used to rock, but now I just have to use indigo for a decent game.

PS. Any news on cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Ye my connection sux too.
    any1 know what to do about noisy lines?
    my ping's never lower than 400.
    it usually around the 600-700 mark.
    verging on unplayable.
    any advise is much obliged.

clanludo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ring them up and complain.
    its free to get checked/fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Aye .. for the last week Pings have been unplayable for me on Eircom - 300/350 spiking to 'Disconnected'. Seems like it must be a pretty broad scale problem though.

JAK.

Meantime .. which ISP is offerin the next best atm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm finding at the moment that Eircom gives the most solid connection (I don't think I've been bumped off Eircom once) so it's great for downloading, IRCing or general mucking about online.

For games, though, it's more than a bit pants; BuyAndSell.net is a much more worthwhile option here - although pings from it to Wireplay now suck quite hard, that isn't their fault - Wireplay is b0rked at the moment. Pings to BW, Demon and GamesInferno are still good. Unfortunately, BnS.net seem to have a trained monkey handling the technical end, and while the dialup does some nice things (like supporting STAC compression, which drops about 30-40 off an ISDN ping) it has a nasty tendancy to bump you offline occasionally, and goes quiet an odd time - Q3/UT/CS spikes to a silly ping and almost total packetloss for about 5-10 seconds, although it only happens about 2 or 3 times an hour.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

NTL are laying down fibre optic lines in my area 8) 8) 8)

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭FutureQuakeDood

Im taking a look at some very promising ISDN internet machines next thursday. Does anyone still know which machine works best from a country line. Something to do with farmers eletric wire I hear??? Thats what the TELECOM EIREAN say tho isnt it??? Maybe its time to move to ENGLAND for cable??? wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

where u from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I doubt it M1RV. More likely they are adding an upstream channel to the existing (cablelink) cable which currently only works in one direction.
    Where abouts are you ?

Advertisement