Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's going in on the 22nd?

Options
  • 21-01-2004 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Ill personally be there trying to get practice for the big tourney next week and will see you all there tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'll be going, I had a decent win at a house game last weekend, so hopefully I can improve tomorrow.
    Anyone know the story for tomorrow week? (The €250 tournament night) Do they hold another free satellite early that evening?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There is a satellite at 6:30 - same as b4 but I think the blinds go up quicker to ensure it finishes by 9

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KevinR

I'm going to head in (and maybe bring 1 other) for a first taste of real tournament poker. I'm not expecting to last much longer than an hour or so beyond the freeze-out point, but hopefully it'll be worth the trip even just to watch and learn.

..btw, any chance of getting the tips for Fitzwilliam newbies posted as a sticky??

Thanks.
    K.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I will also be going. Get the practice in.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Cyas there. Those getting practice take it with a pinch of salt. The final will be a different kettle of fish. Alot of crazy play at these qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

i'll also be popping along tonight, got to improve the game and i have my beedy little eyes on a free entry to the big one. :)

How did everyone get on last night?

I was at table one with about 4 or 5 players who kept going all in. Everytime one of them would go all in, the €10 rebuy meant absolutely nothing to them (unlike me). I think Stormin Norman was about the worst I saw, going all in for about 1200 with 89o. The player to my left with the flat cap had 8 or 9 rebuys.

I had 2 rebuys myself and a topup, had about 4000chips after the top up, survived for a while, but went all in with AQ got a queen, needed a J for a straight, but got beaten by someone with J in their hand.

Still fun as always

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I had a bad night - won only one pot in the entire night - wtf! Went out about 12ish or so. Again to drown my sorrows I played some Blackjack - until 4am - came away €150 up, so not too bad. I am seriously thinking of ditching this poker lark and becoming a BJ pro ;)

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

But there'd be no-one to talk to!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    becoming a BJ pro ;)
    Hyzepher
    are we still talking blackjack here?? :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah I got knocked out shortly after 12 myself. I'm beginning to prefer the other tournament nights because there are alot of guys at the free tourney willing to chase hands even after the rebuy period.
    Perfect example last night was when I put in a sizable bet when I hit Jacks on the turn. One guy called and hit a King on the end. He had nothing before that. This is foolish play on his part. If you go chasing hands to the river then you will lose but every now and again you will get lucky and I was the one at the wrong end of it last night. Thats an example of idiotic play benefitting the idiot. I've seen many cases where it hasn't. Anyone willing to stay until the river just because they have a higher card than any on the board is donating free chips to the bettor.
    I think you have to take chances during the rebuy period but all this happened in the freezeout and it's the that kind of play in the freezeout that is putting me off.

I managed to get to the final table but got knocked out in the first hand after the break. I only had 1500 in chips and the blinds were 1500-3000 so I just had to stick it in and take my chances. Still for my first night I was pleased to get that far, although I think if I hd played less conservatively early on I might have done better.

I did get caught out by a piece of sillyness between a couple of regulars at the table upstairs. I was holding J-J in fairly late position, but one of the guys bet 800 without looking at his cards and then the older gent to my right raised to 2000 just to force him out. I decided to get out of the hand as I only had about 6000, but the flop came J-8-8 *doh*. The two boys folded before the showdown and someone won it with a house of 3's over 8's!! I paid too much attention to what the two boys were doing and didn't pay enough heed to how strong my hand was.

There was a nice atmosphere in there and some good chat at the tables.. I'll definitely be going back again. nice too meet some of the boards.ie people there too! :)

My mate (also a Fitzwilliam newbie) came fourth and got his ticket to the big game next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Had an bad night, dealing for yourselves ruins the experience and have no interest in it. You were at best getting 5 hands for each anti.
    As regards to play, had a good start to the evening winning 2 early hands, then the chips just started to melt away, no buy backs, and a top up so not too bad on the money front.
    Was moved on 4 seperate occasions so that was annoying, got knocked out with a straight when the opponent pulled a flush on the same A that gave me the straight. I reckon next weeks big tourny will be cagey as hell, who played in last months one? and was it totally different?

On the goood side a friend of mine got down to the last 4 and got his seat, not bad for his first trip, so far I have introduced 4 people to the free event, including me, and 3 of us have a ticket for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I agree about the lack of dealers. It becomes so slow when you are dealing to yourselves. Also you never quite sure if people are making mistakes, I heard of a few dodgy moments including a guy who put the first card in the flop down before the betting was complete, he subsequently went all-in due to the fact he knew what card was coming out. I was switched 5 times last night, I was getting headspins. On the plus side I got another ticket (1 top-up) that's 2 weeks in row now, hope my form keeps up for next week. Not bad work for €10 combined over the the 2 weeks. Also one of my friends from college won €50 on the roulette from his free bet. Does anyone have information on next week's €250. How many chips we start with etc.? I heard that the place is usually packed for it, between 70 and 80 players.

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    It becomes so slow when you are dealing to yourselves. Also you never quite sure if people are making mistakes
    I'd hate that, how the hell do you decide all the side pots when you have about 3 or 4 people all in for different amounts?? I wouldn't have a clue if someone was ripping me off or not.
    Last night there was 2 pit bosses? Luke and the other guy? Surely one of them could have gone dealer, at least they'd be a fitzwilliam person in control of the table instead of the players taking it in turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

was a good night last night, enjoyed it throughly again even though it wasnt that impressive a night for my cards. added to that a fairly unwise all-in and we have an exit just before 12 unfortunately. Though my mate, 2nd time there, ended up the chip leader at the end of the night, ticket for next weeks for him so hes one happy bunny, seems like there'll be quite a few who won the free tickets to the big one, fair play to all who did.

Advertisement