Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max. length of 200 chars for description meta tag?

Options
  • 21-01-2004 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Why is there a Max. length of 200 chars for description meta tag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To stop people overloading the description with things irrelevant to their site, in order to get more hits from search engines. The same goes for the keywords tag.

I know a few years ago, you'd look at the list of keywords on some sites, and there'd be more text in there than was in the entire site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

What happens if you go over 200? I assume the search engines ignore the page/site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    What happens if you go over 200? I assume the search engines ignore the page/site

Typically the search engine's parser just slices the description at the limit. I think that the meta overloading took advantage of some poorly coded spiders/SEs.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Ok thanks for the info.

Advertisement