Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CD Wow loses / backs down

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    give as good as you receive.

But they're not stealing from you. They are overcharging you for a luxury item which is by no means essential in your life.

You can choose to buy the CD or not. I don't see filesharers offering the CD-manufacturers the option to be stolen from or not.

You don't want to pay for a CD because its overpriced, then don't....but that doesn't give you the right to have a copy of it. I refuse to buy copy-protected albums, because the stupid tech also prevents me from making copies onto my MD system. However, that doesn't mean I can just go and steal a copy for my MD. I could buy a legal CD, then download the ripped version for my MD, but then the studios would never...as you might say...get as good as they have given. While they maintain their assinine policy in this regard, I will make my objection. If enough people object similarly, the loss of revenue will force them to do something....and they won't have criminal activity to blame for their loss.

And at the simplest level...how many of you filesharers send the artists the money they would have received had you bought a copy of the CD instead of stealing it? They had nothing to do with you being overcharged.

Give as good as you get, indeed. You feel you're being ripped off by someone, so you should rip them off, as well as anyone else who is connected to them, regardless of whether or not these third-parties had anything to do with you being ripped off.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

Originally posted by bonkey

Give as good as you get, indeed. You feel you're being ripped off by someone, so you should rip them off,
    jc

When you go to mass tonight say a prayer for me! because im just about to rip off the Stones of their forty licks :D:p

cranoo..............ww)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Does CD Wows prices now include the levy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I tried going to the checkout and entering my address. All I can see is the €2/2HKD that they added to some cds last week.

I haven't actually bought anything, so I don't know if they add on anything else after you pay.

Edit: Just received an email from CdWow saying that implementation of the surcharge has been delayed until midnight of Monday 26th January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Full text of e-mail:
    Heartfelt thanks for your loyal support.

We are pleased to announce that the imposed price increase of our Chart CDs through a 3.00 Euros (£2.00) surcharge has been delayed by one more day!

So we are battling till the end to offer you the cheapest price in music in the UK and Ireland.

You have until midnight on Monday 26th January 2004 to order before our surcharge comes into effect.

There are still some top titles available from an incredible EUR 10.95 including Free Delivery!

We have been inundated with calls and letters of support - many thanks for your continued loyalty.

Please Note - our prices of DVDs and Games will remain unaffected

So hurry - these titles are expected to sell out quickly!

Warmest Regards,
    CD WOW!

NB – This surcharge applies to all of the CD WOW! websites and URLs where the delivery addresses are either the UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

class. I've noticed their stocks are running dry actually so people must be really uptaking of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

yup, last 3 things i tried to buy were temporarily out of stock, looks like a last minute dash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by bonkey
    And at the simplest level...how many of you filesharers send the artists the money they would have received had you bought a copy of the CD instead of stealing it? They had nothing to do with you being overcharged.
    Yeah, poor Britney looks like she's just barely keeping up the rent.
    If you're unwilling to pay extortionate prices for CDs in the first place, then IMO the artist/record companies aren't losing any money whether you download songs or not. Of course this sounds much like a cop-out, since it's only true of some file sharers, while many others would be ready-willing-and-able to buy said CD's at store prices, ergo it's not really a solid justification for downloading music from P2P, which concordantly would destroy the music industry as we know it. (*wonders if that would be such a bad thing*)
    Don't the artists only get a 5% cut anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Tried the website(s) today, both .ie and .com.hk include the surcharge after you enter your address and progress to the cc details page.

.ie adds €3, .com.hk adds HK$28 (approx)

Given that the .ie site is already charging €15.95 for most cds, does this mean the extra €3 pushes cdwow into the rip off ireland category???;)

Looks like play.com and Djangos (http://www.djangomusic.com/home.asp) will be getting all my business from now on. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by mollser
    from the article;

Something odd I noticed...

Fresh arrived today were 2 cd's, ordered only last Friday from the cdwow hk website:

The Thrills and Good Charlotte.

I had a little look as to where they were 'sourced' from, and low and behold, The Thrills was 'Made in the EU', and Good Charlotte was 'Made in Austria'. (granted, most other cd's i've bought from them were Asian, but thats beside the point ;)

So, it really does beg the question as to how they were able to sell these to me so cheap at €10 odd each, when they were sourced in Europe. BIG BIG margins on these in the shops guys, if CD wow are selling the absolute identical product at half the price.

Kinda blows the Industry's argument out of the water there....:mad:

I was listening to the Last Word the other night and the founder of CD WOW was on and he seemed really pissed off about the whole situation.
    He stated that they don't source all their stock just from Hong Kong, they source their stock from all around the world, including Canada, American and Europe. They try to buy up surplus stock and then ship them to their stores in Hong Kong ready to distribute around the world.
    He also said that he couldn't take them on in court as there was some type of legal precedent that was set which would made the case impossible to win. He was hoping that an Irish consumer group would take on the case on behalf of Irish citizens....Fat Chance!! :rolleyes:

The thing that I don't understand is that if CD WOW are buying all these CDs legally and paying all the relevent duties how can we be then hit with a surcharge when "we" are the ones importing from a foreign country. Surely it's up to us the importer to pay the relevent import duty?!?! I could understand the surcharge if we were buying our CDs from an Irish site but I can't understand it if we are buying from an international site, surely that's outside their jurisdiction??

I would imagine what happened is that the big record companies put pressure on any companies that sell CDs to CD WOW and told that if they do sell to CD WOW that they wouldn't be supplied anymore. And with CD WOW knowing this they were forced into playing ball!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Tried the website(s) today, both .ie and .com.hk include the surcharge after you enter your address and progress to the cc details page.

.ie adds €3, .com.hk adds HK$28 (approx)

Given that the .ie site is already charging €15.95 for most cds, does this mean the extra €3 pushes cdwow into the rip off ireland category???

For the Irish site yes but with regards to the hk site I don't think so, because if you look at the prices on the hk site, even with the HK$28 surcharge, they still only come to what the irish version of the site was charging to begin with.

eg: CD costs HK$106 + 28 =HK$134 = €13.91 (Typical CD price before surcharge on .ie site is €13.95)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    I would imagine what happened is that the big record companies put pressure on any companies that sell CDs to CD WOW and told that if they do sell to CD WOW that they wouldn't be supplied anymore. And with CD WOW knowing this they were forced into playing ball!!
    Huh? What happened was that CD-WOW were threatened with legal action which they decided they would lose, and so they came to an agreement with IRMA and it's UK counterpart to impose a surcharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Try this one,

http://www.101cd.com/Home/index.asp?asptnr=

Their new releases are about €13.50 but they have loads of good cd's at bargain prices from about €7.00 to €9.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

seems such a shame to leave CD-Wow. They always delivered high-quality merchandise, fast delivery and great customer service :(

Advertisement