Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[merged] Revamped Lansdowne Road revealed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

The FAI should forget about that and think of getting there own stadium its a joke after all the glory the national team has had over the last decade now and more .The GAA have there main ground and the rugby vrew have theres . I think the FAI should get the finger out and try and sort it enough ground sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

thats a damn fine looking stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Why oh why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The picture colud be bigger so you could actually see the thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

impressive, like the stadium in huddersfield, same design
    Nothing wrong with the FAI and the IRFU sharing, but shame we cannot use croker, imagine 80,000 people watching us play france, what an atmosphere and hey its better to have your own ground though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

I will believe it when I see it...this from a guy who pre-paid for a 5yr seat for eircom park..enough said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by galwaydude
    ...but shame we cannot use croker, imagine 80,000 people watching us play france, what an atmosphere...

Yeh, that's the biggest pity about it, it's only 50,000 capacity, which is OK, but if they're doing it at all they may as well do it properly and go for 80,000+, but there's obviously not that much land to play with.
    In fairness we don't really *need* another stadium, a rebuilt lansdowne road will be easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Wonder what corporate 'logo' their gonna come up with as a name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

This pic is a little better. I think it is really nice, better than i expected. I'm sure Bertie will have to back this one. I don't see why the FAI and Rugby should have different stadiums. There really isn't enough big matches in the sporting calender to justify 2 stadiums. Sure the pitch won't always be perfect but it has been better in recent years and hey both teams have to play on it. Of course they'll have to hope the GAA lads are feeling generous or we'll all be off to Britain for a few years.

stadium.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Question is when will it get built or will it get built??

You were just a few hours off with this thread:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

IRFU & FAI Unveil Design for New Lansdowne Road Stadium

45554image.jpg

Following a joint delegation to the Minister for Sport, Mr John O’Donoghue TD, last December, the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) and the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) have today unveiled the design for the proposed new world-class 50,000 seater stadium at Lansdowne Road.

A computer generated image showing the stadium set into a photograph of the surrounding area in Ballsbridge was developed by Arup Sport, a division of Arup Consulting Engineers.

The design is for a totally new stadium within the precincts of the IRFU’s property at Lansdowne Road. It is for an integrated structure comprising new three tier structures for the East and West Stands and single tier stands at the Lansdowne Road and Havelock Square ends.

Each of the four stands would be completely covered by an attractive, sweeping translucent roof that would minimise the effects of poor weather on each of the 50,000 spectators as they enjoy comfortable unobstructed views of the pitch from any vantage point in the stadium. The attractive stadium would represent a significant aesthetic improvement on the existing structure and is designed to minimise the impact on local residents.

The IRFU & FAI were able to allay fears of any disruption to public transport services along the adjoining railway line during the redevelopment phase. The construction process provides for the continued smooth running of DART and rail services without risk to passengers or staff. In fact, the new stadium would benefit from much improved and safer pedestrian access as a result of walkways under the railway line instead of the level crossing route. Spectators would have easy access to the wider stadium precincts providing for relaxed congregation around the stadium prior to and after matches.

Commenting on the plans the Chief Executive of the IRFU, Mr. Philip Browne, said: “Both Rugby and Soccer deserve this vote of confidence. Through the exploits of our respective teams and loyal fans, between us we have positively raised the profile of Ireland from Korea to Australia, from Argentina to Italy and from the United States to South Africa in the name of sporting and human achievement.”

Mr Fran Rooney of the FAI said: “We are seeking for a decision from Government to invest in two of the nation’s most popular and successful sports on the international stage. If it gets the go ahead the economic benefits to the state will more than justify the investment of public funds. More importantly, over the longer term we will improve the underlying health of this nation through taking soccer and rugby participants to new heights of achievement at every level of our respective sports.”

Filed by Pat Geraghty

I think its a pretty good stadium being proposed. Its not great that its only 50,000 but at least it going to look well. That Hong Kong stadium being circulated was a joke.

The location is great, the Dart is there for matches and its in the city centre where it should be, not way out on the M-50.

Who knows, in another few years Croke Park might open up and it will be a perfect solution to Irish sport.

I reckon the government will give it thumbs up next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Qadhafi
    That Hong Kong stadium being circulated was a joke.
    :confused: It was said that the new Lansdowne stadium will have a similar design to the Hong Kong stadium. I really don't know how you think it was a joke because the staiums look very similar to me, the only difference being the roofs at the north and south stands.

Hong Kong Stadium
    Hong Kong Interior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Looks great! Should be a great place to hold Bon Jovi gigs!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

the bertie stadium looked well when it was revealed... but it didnt happen...

i wonder if this revamp is for defo ... or just another pie in the sky.. :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it seems to me like they have a different plan every month

i look forward to the February plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Qadhafi
    The location is great, the Dart is there for matches and its in the city centre where it should be, not way out on the M-50.

I reckon the government will give it thumbs up next week [/B]
    I don't know what the plans for the new stadium are regarding Darts to matches but currently no darts stop at landsdowne before, during and after events. Also city centre is more convienient for dubs whereas near an access route like the m50 would be more convienient for non-dublin dwellers. Just depends on your point of view.

As for the government giving it thumbs up i'm not so sure. The plans are supposed to cost 250m to realise and the IRFU and the FAI are willing to contribute 83m. I can't see the government paying the rest of that money. Realistically if the government match the 83m they'll be lucky.

(I got them numbers here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Imposter
    I don't know what the plans for the new stadium are regarding Darts to matches but currently no darts stop at landsdowne before, during and after events

Funny that!! I could of swore that over all these years I was getting the DART to and from the matches, although mind I could be wrong!! :rolleyes: Maybe it was a bus that just "looked" like a DART!!! :rolleyes:

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Funny that!! I could of swore that over all these years I was getting the DART to and from the matches, although mind I could be wrong!! :rolleyes: Maybe it was a bus that just "looked" like a DART!!! :rolleyes:

B.
    Ok it must have changed in the last few years because the few times I was out there the Darts did not stop there (Last time was about 3-4 years ago).

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It looks pretty good, but I'm not sure that 50,000 will be enough tbh. It should have been 60,000 to 65,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Come this time next year I fear we will still be seeing more and more plans for different variations and different locations for stadia etc and there still wont be any definite approval given to build any of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

they should build it now, right now no more debating the issue

It's supposed to be built in 2008, I'll give them til 2010. What are we gonna do til then if Croker dont let us in???:( :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    It's supposed to be built in 2008, I'll give them til 2010. What are we gonna do til then if Croker dont let us in???:( :(:(

I know this is an old debate, but croke park will open its doors before the combined incompotency committee finally build this stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I hope they dont use some of the luas contractors, then it wont be done until 2080, let alone 2008 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I hope they dont use some of the luas contractors, then it wont be done until 2080, let alone 2008
    See attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wow, i havent seen that one before

LOL :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

saw that in another forum a couple of days back. My response to this stadium idea ........................................ HHHhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

It was said that the new Lansdowne stadium will have a similar design to the Hong Kong stadium. I really don't know how you think it was a joke because the staiums look very similar to me, the only difference being the roofs at the north and south stands.

Well the pic i seen of hong kong didnt look pretty, bit of a kip to be honest.

This new stadium looks like its going to go ahead so its like it or lump it. Pity about the long construction time!

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY???????????

That stupid f**kin picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It Looks like the Gov will make an announcement backing the new stadium next week. I wonder wll it change the GAAs mind in opening Croker for our World Cup qualifiers as they will know that the FAI will not be looking for it for every future match.

Advertisement