Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrict Internet Access on Windows

Options
  • 21-01-2004 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

I recently installed internet access on a Windows XP for a family. The parents want to be able to restrict the kids internet access. They dont want the kids to be able to access the net while they are nto there. They have the phone plaugged straight into the computer so its not as easy as removing the cable.

I had it setup that the connection onyly diallied up on the administrator account but one of the kids has got arund this.

I am looking for a free piece of software that can do this. They dont reall want net nanny or anything like that. just a way that they can deny the kids accessing the internet.

Any ideas would be helpful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

System policy editor? (I think its grpedit.msc on XP Pro).

You could fiddle with file permissions on IEXPLORE.exe to stop the kids (I'm assuming limited) accounts from running it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

There's a setting in Group Policy in Win2k/XP which will disallow creation of RAS (dial up networking) connections.

In Windows 2000, it's Start, Run, gpedit.msc. Under User config..., Admin..., Network, Network and Dialup.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, as oneweb says.

There's also the option to not use the same username & password for all users in the dial up box. Some ISPs still require you to be registered in order to access their free service. I know eircom don't, and Unison do.

This means that they can give the kids their own login accounts, and allow them to access the net without having to be logged in as Administrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

The easiest way to do this is OneWeb's way.
    ASsuming your hard disk is NTFS, do the following:

Browse to Program Files\Internet Explorer
    Right click on the IExplore.exe file
    Select Properties, and then select the Security tab.
    Click on the Add button, and add the username of the users that you want to deny access to IE.
    Highlight the users name on the top, and then select the Deny checkbox to the Read & Execute and the Read permissions (as shown in the attached picture) for each user that you want to prevent access to.

This will prevent them from launching Internet Explorer.

Also, makew their accounts Limited accounts, as this will prevent them from installing another browser (Netscape etc.) and getting access this way.

Of course, make aure that the parent's account has a password, because otherwise the kids will just log in under their username!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thanks guys i am sure this is what i am looking for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement