Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is cheaper than UPS to send parcels?

• 21-01-2004 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I am leaving Ireland and I am looking for the cheapest way to send my personnal effects to France.

I don't have any furnitures or really large items to move, mainly clothes, 2 pc (will probably sell the 2 crt monitors btw 1 15" and 1 17" ), books, cd, a couple of paintings.

I contacted Cronin tuesday morning for a quote but they have yet to call me back.

with UPS, a 25kg box 85 x 50 x 35 cm comes to €82

What other solution would there be? I don't have a car so I definitly need the parcels to be collected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

What part of France are they destined for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

North of France

Caen in normandy

Sorry I can't help. I'm going to Cogolin (South near St Tropez) next week and would have taken it as luggage.

Cheers, I appreciate the thought Silent Death.

But I have more than 1 box anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SDS an post perhaps - split into two parcels so less than 20Kg ??

Aer Lingu Cargo (havn't priced it in over a decade but it was something like £1.50 per Kg over the fixed cost - but you had to deliver and collect from the airport.)

• Advertisement

when I did my comparison sds came out a few euro more expensive than ups.

Cronin came back to me with a quote of 955€ for 6 boxes...

I had thought about the Air cargo option but I have to pick it up in the charles de gaulle airport in Paris.
    It would be the cheapest solution if I didn't hadn't to go and collect from caen (gaz and a lot of tolls).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Try with a French or Irish lorries companies that will have weekly trucks going to/from France.
    When I had to that the other way around (from France to Ireland) I went to a local company where I was in France. I had to fit my stuff on a "palette" 1.5 m x 1.5 m x 1 m, it took 1 week and cost me at the time (in 2000) 1000 Frs (150€)
    If I had to send that by UPS/Fedex/... it will have been a lot lot more because of the weight!

I will have a look to find out the name of the company

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Contact a shipping agent if you've a number of boxes - they charge by a combination of volume and weight, but generaly by the cubic metre. Cost you a couple of hundred euro I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are you travelling yourself - Ryanair (Beauvais)? Check with them what their excess luggage rates are.

There is also a direct ferry link between Dublin and Cherbourg operated by P&O Irish Sea, however I'm not sure if there is an all year round service.

http://www.poirishsea.com/

Also have you tried DHL? DHL Worldwide Express phone 1800 725 725

Also http://www.goldenpages.ie/Results.asp?origin=HOME&rubric=select&what=couriers&where=Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you are looking at an overall price of €950 then it would be far cheaper to transport the stuff yourself by car. AFAIR a short stay return Rosslare - Cherbourg is about €220. Could you not borrow a car or even rent one? Or even pay for a friend to drive you.

• Advertisement

Try contacting Interlink Ireland. Head Office 090 6420500. They have a European Courier service. They are owned by La Poste so the Frech coverage should be pretty good. They have depots all over Ireland so there should be one local to you. The parcels take about 4/5 days so you are not paying a premium for next day service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

This is kind of off topic but related to UPS...

Someone sent me a package via UPS. Its a laptop and before I want to pay through Western Union I want to verify that the laptop I ordered is the laptop sitting in the local UPS office (my local post office) specification etc.

Does anyone know if I can call in and look at the package and make a visual inspection? Its one of those great deals i got through Ebay and Im concerned i might just be getting a brick in the post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, not sure. But I am certain that you should be very wary of people asking to be paid via Western Union.

Copied to B/E/S

Back on topic :D

Interlink ask for 45€ for first kg then 5€ per additionnal Kg

Ryanair ask for 6Kg per additionnal kg.

I decided to sell my pc so the volume has come down a bit.

Had a closer look at sds and indeed they can be cheaper in certain instance.

raphaelS do you remember the name of that lorry company?

/Edit

With UPS
    Instead of getting a price for 1 parcel I made a simulation with 3 parcels.

Package 1
    Weight: 20 kg
    Dimensions: 70 x 70 x 60 cm
    Declared Value: 1 EUR
    Package 2
    Weight: 15 kg
    Dimensions: 47 x 50 x 35 cm
    Package 3
    Weight: 25 kg
    Dimensions: 85 x 50 x 45 cm

Total Shipment Weight: 60 kg (**Dimensional Weight applies to one or more packages, billable weight: 95.0 kg)
    Address Type: Residential
    Number of Packages: 3
    Packaging: Your Packaging
    Customs Value: 1.00 EUR
    Duty Type: 02 - Non-dutiable
    Currency: EUR

Shipment Total:144.99*EUR

For the size of the parcels I could go up to 95kg

Thats about 1.5€ per kg with pick up and door delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

raphaelS do you remember the name of that lorry company?

Yes, I got it (www.bonfils.fr).
    But, my girlfriend took care of that at the time, and they are working a lot with her father (hence the good price).
    They didn't carry the goods all the way, in Ireland it was hand over to someone else.

My advise is to try with a local company in France and just ask if they have a weekly route to Ireland. At most it will cost you a couple of phone calls!.

Raphael

Advertisement