Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picked IOL, any reason why I shouldn't?

• 21-01-2004 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I am going to get broadband installed as I will be in one location for a year anyway in Dublin.

Options were:
    1. Netsource: I could convince them I am a business and get it, but they now have a 16GB cap and throttling when exceeded.

2. Eircom: 4GB is a cripple. Unless they decide to up it to 10GB to compete with IOL.

3. IOL: 8GB, in the middle of the other two and more like the usage I would need from gaming Day of Defeat and Linux stuff and fecking around on pouet.net.

Eircom and IOL both seem to be giving free installations, a month rental a modem. Hard to say no to that. So I am picking IOL.

I will be networking my home comps separately on an internal LAN from the server to 2 or 3 other comps.

Any reason that my choice of IOL is bad? I would go with Netsource but consistency of service seems to be somethign they are lacking in reading back a few months on the boards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Have you checked with NTL. There 600 always on option is very good. 30GB a month limit but they don't enforce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    I am going to get broadband installed as I will be in one location for a year anyway in Dublin.

Eircom and IOL both seem to be giving free installations, a month rental a modem. Hard to say no to that. So I am picking IOL.

I will be networking my home comps separately on an internal LAN from the server to 2 or 3 other comps.

Any reason that my choice of IOL is bad? I would go with Netsource but consistency of service seems to be somethign they are lacking in reading back a few months on the boards.

Netsource are fine now unless you exceed the 4Gb a week cap. Your logic is otherwise impeccable . Cable alternative in bits of W/SW Dublin. An ultra low ping ESAT ADSL is available from some 10 out of 40-50 exchanges in the Dublin area but it costs €100 a month or so and IS uncapped, installation for that will cost €100 or so.

The only WISP that appears to be a goer for gamers is Leap.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Well I wouldn't go over the 50 quid or so range; and more and I might as well buy some time in a net cafe and burn off the big downloads. Netsource's guy on the help desk also sounded pretty curt, not rude however. I get the feeling that if something fecks up they might start picking at me not actually being a fully fledged business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Have Leap in the office and its not bad for games. :)

There website is www.leap.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

If you use your phone much, then IOL/ESAT are currently offering a couple of bundles that make them an even more attractive choice at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

what are the waiting times for people currently of IOL broadband? How long should it take total. Ordered last week. Will I be waiting months? Hope not.

Ordered mine 2 weeks ago. They only so far responded to my original query (which I made 3 weeks ago!)

I think they might be a tad busy

Ordered mine last Tuesday(13th), have heard nothing yet. Wonder if its time to start annoying people.

I made a query about the package before I ordered and got a responce the following day.

Gonna be all edgy too till I get it, cancelled my UTV so will be no interwebbing from end of the month. Will eircom automatically take over handling my calls from the period of utv stopping and esat taking over. COME ON THE BB. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Just as a matter of interest, why did you cancel UTV, are they crap, or was it because of the new IOL Bundle deal?

Well had the UTVIP 180hrs thing on a 56k modem, ah that was a god sent for droppping the ol phone bill.

Went with esat mainly because of the bundle price is just about affordable for me.

On a minor note heard that UTV BB isn't great for gaming and thats half the reason I wanted to get BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I don't do much gaming myself but a few friends of mine have IOL and have no complaints about gaming with it.

Advertisement